View Full Version : Compact Flash import problem

Paul Budline
July 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM
This is my conundrum wrapped in a dilemma. I have been shooting 1 hour lectures on both tape and Compact Flash with my HVR-z7u. The CF is a Transcend 32gb 400x, which holds more than 2 hours of HDV footage.

After transfer to my hard drive, the AVI video files on the card play fine in Windows Media Player. But when trying to import them into Premiere Pro CS6, maybe one or two of the files imports properly, the others are flagged with the "damaged or unsupported file" error message.

After doing some research, I downloaded something called Enosoft AVI repair tool and used it to repair the "damaged" files. Amazingly enough, they imported with no problem and look just like I'd expect the original AVI file to look. So while it's a workaround that enables me to avoid a full tape digitization, I am wondering whether someone might know why the files are supposedly "damaged" to begin with. I've used this unit to record on CF many times before, usually with a 16GB 133x Transcend CF.

Any clues will be greatly appreciated, and I will also post this on the HVR-z7u area. Thanks very much.

Zach Love
July 18th, 2012, 10:20 PM
My most likely guess is 1. a bad card, or 2. you started & stopped recording too soon. If the recorder doesn't have time to close out the file when you stop recording & you start recording again, you might have problems.

Glad you were able to recover the files.

Ervz Tia
February 4th, 2013, 10:06 PM
hi, yes. very good measure to always REFORMAT before every major recordings. also, try not to max out the card. I think files too are not happy when they are packed tightly. cheers!