View Full Version : JVC GY-HM100u unresponsive ND Filter

Christian Brown
July 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Had an issue yesterday with one of my cameras. The image was dark, as if the ND Filter was engaged. When I went to check it, I realized that flipping the ND Filter switch had no effect on the image. That is to say, the ND Filter was ON and I could not turn it OFF regardless of what I did with the switch. Turning the camera on and off did not help. (I also got out a second camera to compare the exposures. Definitely the ND Filter.)

What I did last minute was to "Restore Factory Defaults", which reset the camera. The ND Filter is still stuck, but now it is stuck in the OFF position, which is preferable since I have never once needed it.

Christian Brown
July 24th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Update: camera has reverted to having ND filter stuck in the ON position. Will try restoring factory defaults again...

Christian Brown
July 27th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I can no longer get the camera to turn off the ND Filter. Resetting to factory defaults did not help. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Christian Brown
August 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I powered up the camera today to see if reloading firmware could help. However, when I turned on the camera, the ND Filter was functioning normally. Great!, but still a little disconcerting.

Allan Black
August 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM
560 viewers would probably tell you to get it checked at the first opportunity.

Murphys law says it'll stick in the ON slot again .. just when you want it OFF.

Cheers.

Eric Olson
August 7th, 2012, 11:20 PM
560 viewers would probably tell you to get it checked at the first opportunity.

On the other hand, it is very difficult to fix something that is currently working. Right now I have a car with a speedometer that stops working for about one day out of every 3 months. Obviously it is easier to drive a car with a broken speedometer than use a camcorder with a stuck ND filter. Still, I don't know what you can do except hope that it breaks permanently so it can be permanently fixed.