View Full Version : Youtube Video URL

Joel Brooks
July 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I copied my URL from you tube then changed the youtu.be to youtube.com by re-arranging the decimal. Still not showing the full video window direct without having to transfer to you tube itself.

Do I just change from youtu.be to youtube.com at the front of the URL? Do I add youtube.com/watch then the remaining url? What am I doing wrong?

Joel

Matt Sharp
July 22nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
A full YouTube URL would be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoZV-BtJjXw
As opposed to youtube.com/xoZV-BtJjXw that you'd get when you simply change the youtu.be to youtube.com

Chris Hurd
July 22nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
Matt's right -- copying the youtu.be URL and then manually editing it to read youtube.com is not going to work.

The easiest thing to do is to simply copy the youtube.com URL from your browser's address bar at the top of any YouTube video clip page, and then paste it into your forum post. It won't work in *this* particular area (Announcements) because it's disabled on purpose, but it'll work everywhere else.

Be sure to use youtube.com links and not youtu.be links. Hope this helps,

Bill Elder
July 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
On every video you can click on the share button and it'll give you a link. It'll even give the option to make it a link for the HD version, select a starting point in the video or get the long version of the link. Hope this helps.

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Sorry, but no... the "share" link at YouTube is where the incompatible youtu.be comes from. If you use it here, it won't embed a player. Like I've pointed out above, it needs to be the youtube.com URL which you can grab from the address bar of your browser on any YouTube video clip page. Hope this helps,

Mike Beckett
July 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
For me, Youtube gives me options when I click the "share" button, and one of them is "use long link", which is the full Youtube.com one.

Normally it's the same as the URL in the address bar, but it is normally clean. i.e. without all the extra parameters that aren't always needed.

Joel Brooks
July 23rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks to everyone. It is working like a charm now. This is a great forum.

Joel Brooks
MIT Video
Moments In Time Video Productions (http://www.mitvideoproductions.com)