View Full Version : adding keywords to mts-files

Marcel Hoevenaars
July 31st, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hi,
I have a Canon HG20, and use PPro5 and Bridge.
In order to keep some control over my raw footage, I've been trying to keyword the mts-files in Bridge, but that doesn't work. And if I understand the postings on the Adobe Community Forum correctly, this still isn't possible in PPro6.
So I was wondering if there's any other software around that could help me keywording my mts-files (and hopefully in such a way that Bridge can see the keywords as well).
Thanks,
Marcel

Luc Novovitch
August 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Marcel,

Sorry, I'm late on this one...
I think that a solution to your problem may be Adobe Lightroom. The versions 3 and 4 support a wide variety of files, including MTS.
You can check by going to:
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Work with video in Lightroom (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS2bacbdf8d487e5826cbcbebb12ac414fc6a-8000.html)
and
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Work with video in Lightroom (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS2bacbdf8d487e5826cbcbebb12ac414fc6a-8000.html)

The first link gives you a list of supported file format, the second one is a blurb about how to,

I think that you can download a trial version of Lightroom and should be able to test by yourself. I just did a test with some mts files out of my Sony NX5U and it works perfectly (Lightroom 4).

L

Marcel Hoevenaars
August 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks Luc,
I've looked at Lightroom. Problem with it is that the changes to the metadata are stored in a Lightroom catalog and that this information is not available to other applications, such as PPro.

It's funny, I used to have a Panasonic Video camera, shooting .avi, and never had a problem keywording those files in Bridge..

Marcel

Luc Novovitch
August 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Marcel,
I think it's possible, but needs a 'manipulation' because of the difference between Lightroom and Bridge when it comes to catalogs, lists and so on...
Someone named Omke Oudeman posted the following on an Adobe forum, and it may be of help. Probably less tedious that it seems after you did it a couple of times.
Hope it helps.
L
--
Metadata like IPTC and keywords is respected in both Bridge and Lightroom after adding it to the file, provided you have pointed both to the same folder.
A metadata template can be very easily created in Bridge but as Curt already stated, they don't use the same format (Lightroom as its own while Bridge uses the .xmp format)
The keyword list is easy to export and import from both applications. Export creates a text file.
In LR choose the menu metadata/ export keywords, name it properly and save it to an easy findable location (e.g. LRkeywordlist and choose desktop)
Then switch to Bridge and go to the keyword panel. Top right is little menu icon with fly out menu. In here choose import (if you want to add the list to existing list) or clear and import to replace the existing list with your new list.
In case of the latter your existing keywords will be deleted so if you need them for what ever reason again you first have to export the existing list for back up

Marcel Hoevenaars
August 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

I've done it. Bridge does pick up the new keywords for its keyword database, However the new keywords can still not be assigned to the clips.