View Full Version : Can I output an HD signal through component cables on the FX1

Natan Pakman
August 7th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Is it possible to output an HD signal using the component video out on the FX1?

To be more specific, I'm using two FX1s with a Tricaster Pro video mixer, and my team may upgrade to an HD Tricaster model (the 455), which accepts HD signals via component cables (not through HDMI, although it has one HDMI input).

On a side note, are there sturdier component cables that can be used with the FX1? The one that comes with the camera and a replacement bought a while ago are incredibly flimsy and seem simply unprofessional.

Adam Gold
August 7th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Yes. Page 46. That's the only way to get HD out of the FX1 other than FW (i.Link).

The FX1 doesn't have HDMI, so whether your mixer has it or not doesn't matter much.

And no, the Sony cables are what they are. You can get beefier regular component cables for extended runs, but the proprietary ones with the Sony D-plugs that go into the cam are standard issue.

Chris Barcellos
August 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM
In this same vein, I am wondering if anyone has converted the FX1 component signal to HDMI with a convertor to then record to something like the Black Magic Shuttle. Results ?

Natan Pakman
August 7th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Yes. Page 46. That's the only way to get HD out of the FX1 other than FW (i.Link).

The FX1 doesn't have HDMI, so whether your mixer has it or not doesn't matter much.

And no, the Sony cables are what they are. You can get beefier regular component cables for extended runs, but the proprietary ones with the Sony D-plugs that go into the cam are standard issue.

Excellent, thanks.

David Emenheiser
July 27th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Chris Barcellos - If you're still looking for an answer to this... Yes. I recently tested this. From the camera component output I ran an FX1 (and a Z1U) into a Muxlab 500053 (female) balun to convert the signal for an extended run through a CAT 5e (CAT 6 recommended for longer runs) cable to a Muxlab 500052 (male) balun, then to a powered component to HDMI converter, than into the switcher which only has HDMI inputs, then out to my BlackMagic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. The record tests came out just fine. I'm going to do this with all three of my older Sony Cameras to allow for continued use out of good units that still look great for switched HD productions. (I'm now using a file based camera for other field work.)