View Full Version : AVCHD 1080p 30fps to SD-DVD in DVD SP

Greg Thuente
August 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I have a Panasonic AG-AC130 and I am shooting in 1080p at 30fps. I am shooting wedding videos and I am still providing my clients with DVDs and have not yet made the jump to Blu-Ray. I am having difficulty with producing a DVD that has a high quality picture. I have looked around on the forum and found some help, basically I am finding that DVDs just don't hold enough data to support the MB/s that are needed for the quality image. My DVDs have used MPEG-2 and are typically around 60-90 min and I am wondering if anyone has a specific way to obtain the highest quality image on the video, with either DVD Studio Pro or other software.

I am running a early 2011 Macbook Pro and Final Cut Studio 2.

Thanks so much!

Dan Herrmann
August 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Start a new project in FC at the output desired for your DVD/
Import your HD video into that project and then re-size the video to fit your output...do not use the scale method, manually reduce the over sized frame to fit your output screen. render and output for DVD.

This is the way to obtain the best picture using HD for a SD project.

Greg Thuente
August 14th, 2012, 07:32 PM
So, I have already edited the entire video. Are you saying that I should run those settings at the beginning of a project, prior to editing? If so, any thoughts for after a project is fully edited in the timeline?

Thoughts on exporting an edited quicktime video in Full HD and then re-importing to FCP and changing the size, then exporting again for a DVD.

Thanks a lot! Feel free to give step by step details if necessary. Thanks!

Daniel Epstein
August 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Greg,
I would output the file from FCP as a reference movie and then use Compressor to make the DVD style files. Should be some presets in Compressor for this. You will likely have to run two set ups. one for Audio and 1 for video. This has worked very well for me going from HD to SD compared to other methods I have tried. Author the Disc in DVD Studio Pro.

Greg Thuente
August 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Daniel Epstein & Dan Herrmann,

Thanks for the help! So, what would the workflow look like?

Just a reminder I have the original sequence setup at 1920x1080 and I have exported that sequence to Compressor, used 90 min or less MPEG2 settings and then burned a DVD with DVD SP, and it looks grainy at times on the DVD.

I am really looking for a solid workflow from FCP and if you could provide more of a step by step process, that would be great. I don't want to waste your time, but this is a HUGE help!!

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me, prior to the workflow being posted.

Thanks again!

Chad Whelan
January 3rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
A little late here, but I will chime in. I shoot 1080 30P AVCHD. I first convert to ProRes using clipwrap. Import into FCP. Edit in a pro res sequence, drag a clip into the sequence and click yes to match clip settings. Export edited sequence to compressor from within FCP. Apply the dvd 90 minute (or 120 if needed) "best" stock setting in compressor. I do not tweak anything else, and my results look awesome!

Eric Olson
January 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Daniel Epstein & Dan Herrmann,

Thanks for the help! So, what would the workflow look like?

Just a reminder I have the original sequence setup at 1920x1080 and I have exported that sequence to Compressor, used 90 min or less MPEG2 settings and then burned a DVD with DVD SP, and it looks grainy at times on the DVD.

I am really looking for a solid workflow from FCP and if you could provide more of a step by step process, that would be great. I don't want to waste your time, but this is a HUGE help!!

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me, prior to the workflow being posted.

Thanks again!

Using compressor with HD input sounds reasonable. To help diagnose the problem, check the VOB files in the resulting DVD catalog to see whether they are flagged as interlaced or progressive. This can be done using the program mediainfo

MediaInfo - Download (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download)

which runs on almost any computer. Post the output of mediainfo here and it may give a clue to why the DVD doesn't look as good as it could.