View Full Version : Digitizing 8mm tapes in to DV Codec

Matt Weckel
August 20th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone-

I am ingesting about 30 120-minute 8mm tapes through a Black Magic card, and while I would usually just ingest em as a Pro Res or an uncompressed file, the files are just way too big. I simply would not have enough space for all of them. There wouldn't be any loss of quality to ingest them at NTSC-DV codec would there? The ones I have done so far look pretty good.

Thanks!

Dan Herrmann
August 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I assume you are backing these up and using AVI or MOV. ut So I am not sure what Analog to digital loss could occur.
If you plan of using them for an edit later on you can uprez in a number of programs bue t when I copied some Hi8 over I used Premiere Pro and used a scene change to break them down into smaller files.

I have a mumber of segments from some salt water fishing shot in the early 90's that I injested and then uprez and cleaned up for recent series. Other than some over saturation and a line or two on start and stops they worked adn looked fine.

Bringing and entire 8MM tape in on one file is looking for problems

Peter Manojlovic
August 20th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Totally fine...

The weak link in the chain of transfer is usually in the deck itself...
Otherwise, there is no problems using this codec. I stores more than enough information the source provides.

Ron Evans
August 20th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Best choice is a Digital8 camcorder or deck that converts the 8mm Video8 or Hi8 to DV. Not all the Digital 8 camcorders did this but most did so. I use my old TRV 740.

Ron Evans