View Full Version : DVC22 - Rose Colored Glasses - Frank Moody

Frank Moody
September 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
RoseColoredGlasses - YouTube

Let me start by saying thank you for this opportunity and thank you for watching our film! I hope you all enjoy it!

Seems that everyone is giving a little background on there film so Ill try and keep it short. The idea for this one was given to me by my wife and her co-workers the day the theme posted I fell in love with it instantly.

However as you all know then trouble started location issues, actor issues, and the real job seems to get in the way of film making all the time. It all fell into place the week before it had to be finished so we shot all or interior scenes on that Saturday and the exterior ones on Sunday then I worked without sleep to edit and finish it.

Chris Barcellos
September 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
A very fun and imaginative story line Frank. I really think your characters were done great and their Rose Colored version were beautifully contrasting. I do think you post color correction technique needs to be changed a bit, as I found both the BW and the color a bit flat for my taste, but that may have been your goal.

Mat Thompson
September 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Hi Frank
Great idea and the change in personality of your cast was great. Especially when he walks through the door to the nice version of his family. I thought some of your shooting was excellent and the scenes you picked worked. I think the weighting of the scenes might have been used to better effect and it would be interesting to read the screenplay to see how it translates from paper to screen. (If you can post it that would be great!) I really liked the opening shots of the two women, although something about their relationship didn't play quite right visually for me.

Strong premise and nicely realised.

Thanks for sharing and if you can post the screenplay I'd like to have a read !

Cheers
Mat

Frank Moody
September 8th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you for your comments I wish I knew enough to have any idea what you mean by "weighting of the scenes might have been used to better effect" I will do some research on that!

I am glad you enjoyed it though!

I can email you the script i cant figure out how to attach it here?

Frank Moody
September 8th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Mr. Barcellos

Thank you for your comments and glad you liked it!

I agree with you that it seems flat however is looks good in the original edit but when i formatted it for you tube it kinda lost something ? I am most likely doing it wrong?

Dick Mays
September 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Frank,

I loved the two women before the rose colored glasses went on. Like to see more of them, lol. They knew what it took for the rent to get paid. Particularly loved her stepping on the glasses. Maybe it's my personal unemployment circumstances, but it seemed harshly pragmatic to bust those suckers and get down to the business of paying the bills. I was so inspired, I took my own pair of rose colored glasses off, and crushed those suckers flat.

Ruth Happel
September 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM
This was a really creative take on the theme. I liked the transition back and forth between worlds, and the acting was great. Not the typical Hollywood ending, but very effective. The shooting was very nice, and I liked when he first eased into the color world with the back and forth transition in color before he was completely submerged.

Andrew Bove
September 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Mr. Barcellos I agree with you that it seems flat however is looks good in the original edit but when i formatted it for you tube it kinda lost something ? I am most likely doing it wrong?

I actually liked the low contrast look in the beginning, it seemed to suit the story- the guy had a seriously dreary life!

To nit-pick about color, there did seem to be quite a bit of blown highlights (in the skin tones, and in the parking lot grass) once the glasses went on, which I found distracting.

Nice red color on the glasses, that was great.

What a bunch of crazy characters! Cool story, I really felt bad for the poor guy!

Mat Thompson
September 9th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Hi Frank
Great I'd like to have a read of it.

Weighting of the scenes. - By this I mean the importance of the scenes to the story and the amount of time they play out in. So for example, I really liked your closing scene, this was strong, yet I felt it played out too quickly. The scene in the car I thought carried less importance to your premise but played out for longer than it needed too. Just my opinion of course, but I hope this explains what I meant.

I heard from one of my crew last night. She has taken a real liking to your piece! - Traitor ;-) !

Thanks again
Mat

Simon Wood
September 9th, 2012, 03:33 AM
I thought that this was a really effective little story that made good use of the limited time frame. There were no redundant shots, and the story ticked along at a jaunty pace.

I especially liked the scene in the car when the lead character is exiting; good acting that.

I guess he's gonna' have to get back to his main job (looking around rubbish bins)?!

Mark Hartopp
September 9th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I found this fascinating and a interesting production and agree with what's been said already. Great work Frank :)

Adam Snow
September 9th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I defiantly liked your concept and enjoyed watching your film. I felt it started a bit slow but got rather intriguing and I wanted to know what was going to happen next. I agree with Chris about the colors, especially in the color portions. It would have been nice to bump up the saturation a bit, perhaps on in the greens to enhance the magical feel that putting the glasses on created for the character. The rest I imagine with just exposure issues while trying to battle the intense light from the sun.

As an editors note, the 180 line was crossed at 1:03 going from the wide of the landlord talking with the main character to the landlords close-up.

I also really liked what you did when the glasses were laying broken on the ground. The color disappearing from them was a powerful shot. I felt bad for the guy at the end though, not a very happy ending.

Mitchell Stookey
September 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Hey Frank! I really liked this entry, it definitely had the most interesting cast of characters in the competition! The main character's nervous/maniacal laughter as he is getting out of the car is hilarious. He did an awesome job.

It can definitely be tough to shoot in bright sunlit areas, and in such instances it can help to avoid too many wide shots. That way you can cheat into shaded areas and use close ups and get away with a little bit more. You could also then bring in a bounce too for either more light OR to block light. Once you lose your highlights it is pretty hard to get them back, and you usually just end up with gray instead of white when you try to bring them back.

I also noticed there was a flash frame of black between him leaving Mr. King's car and going back into his house, you have to watch out for those because they can be pretty jarring.

I also really loved the bleak, bleak ending of him crying on the floor with no hope. Pretty funny black humor. Nice!

Really fun entry and imaginative film!

Toni Dolce
September 10th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Frank,

I really enjoyed watching your movie. The duality with the glasses was a very clear storyline and I thought the actors were funny in their delivery.

The effect with the color draining from the glasses was cool!

The only thing I wished I could have seen was when the main character pulled up to his house and couldn't believe that it was his house. A wide-angle shot showing a mansion would have been cool.

Overall, good story and I watched in interest until the end!

Toni

Joseph Tran
September 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Frank!

A really good piece! So all the technical comments aside -- I cannot put them any better than what's already been mentioned. I liked how we can all relate to the main character in this story. How many of us wish we could change our lives with just a simple pair of sunglasses? (Maybe that's what that 80's guy meant when he sang, "I wear my sunglasses at night...") Then when the glasses get crushed, we all feel for the guy!

Nice job by your actors! I think a good job for anyone playing a villain is when we as the audience really despises you -- and those two women are the worst, haha! How are you related to the actors? Thanks for the enjoyment, Frank! Looking forward to your next film!

Andrew Bove
September 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
A wide-angle shot showing a mansion would have been cool.

Definitely! A big shot of a giant house would have been perfect.

Just watched this again: Like everyone has said, the two sided characters are truly hilarious. When the Mom crushes the glasses at the end, I really felt the guys pain. Well done.