View Full Version : What does the Ki Pro Quad record when it receives 4k RAW

Felix Steinhardt
October 9th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Hi,

The Ki Pro Quad will record 4K Prores, but will it be REC709 or log or something else?
I mean, if it debayers the RAW signal it has to be stored in a way that can hold the whole dynamic range of the sensor and that must be a form of log, right?

Iīm wondering because there are new rumors on the FS700 RAW update being released on thursday.

Chris Medico
October 9th, 2012, 08:39 AM
RAW is RAW. It has no colorspace or gamma. All of that kind of info will be added in your computer when you decode the RAW video into whatever your target format is.

Edit:
I wouldn't have the recorder debayer the signal. Do that in your computer later where you can apply more advanced methods for debayering that can't be done in real time.

Felix Steinhardt
October 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM
You didnīt understand. I donīt mean passing through the RAW signal to be recorded to a computer but using what the KI pro quad can do, 4K Prores. The Ki pro Quad cannot record raw, it can only pass it through (with thunderbolt, I think)

Chris Medico
October 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I guess we won't have all the details till the recorder is available in a month or two.

Chris Medico
October 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
You didnīt understand. I donīt mean passing through the RAW signal to be recorded to a computer but using what the KI pro quad can do, 4K Prores. The Ki pro Quad cannot record raw, it can only pass it through (with thunderbolt, I think)

It should be able to record the RAW signal. I'm sure they will update the website once the firmware for the FS700 is released. Recording the RAW signal will be a much simpler process and use much less drive space than converting and recording it to ProRes 4:4:4.

Felix Steinhardt
October 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hmm, it will be less space if they have a RAW compression like REDCODE or Cineform RAW. If it could record raw it must be compressed somehow because 4K RAW uncompressed would produce filesizes beyond any storage capabilities...^^

But if they have a compression theyīll need a software package that can read those RAW files and theyīll need support for the major NLEs.

I canīt imagine the Ki pro quad recording RAW, to be honest.

Chris Medico
October 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM
It might be counter intuitive but 4K RAW takes up much less space than 4K uncompressed. There is no color information in RAW. It is strictly luminance data.

4K RAW has similar storage requirements as 10bit 1080p60 uncompressed which is within the capabilities of SSD based recorders. The Ki Pro Quad recorder will have no problem recording the RAW signal from a technology capability standpoint.