View Full Version : Learning material

T.J. Bowman
October 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hey guys,

I was hoping that I could get a bit of guidance as far as where to look for solid film making resources. I'm actually a web designer for a living, but I have recently been more and more interested in getting into film making, mainly documentaries. The idea of telling a real story intrigues me.

I have spent the past year or so making crappy montage videos like this: Aftershock & Impact - TMHS - YouTube

I'm ready to step up my production to something more serious. I've read "Shut Up and Shoot" and I am currently reading "Directing the Documentary". I'd really like to know of some more great books that can help me learn the concepts behind the process of film making, not so much the technical side. I consider myself pretty competent in that regard.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
October 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I haven't made any documentaries, but I've found Film Directing Shot by Shot to be an excellent resource on framing and camera movement. Otherwise, I think you already have two good books that are more than enough to get you started.

Start making them, and you'll find your style. For day-to-day problems you always have the forums!