Jasper Pieterse van Wijck
October 16th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Hi there,

I have a Sony Z5 with the following hours:

OPERATION: 185X10H - 1850H
DRUM RUN: 97X10H - 970H
TAPE RUN: 50X10H - 500H
THREADING: 330X10 - 3300H

Is this much for this camera, or isn't it worth anything anymore?

Alex Khachatryan
October 16th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Jasper, I think this cameras have a potential for second life circle. I've just sold mine with similar numbers for $2200 to a local shooter.
I have never used the CF card recorder with it but the guy that bought it from me was going to go tapeless.

October 16th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Alright, but when does it get risky with the 'wear and tear' of the Drum and Threading? This camera is being used multiple times a day for 3 years now. I want to know if it would be wise to meanwhile look for a tapeless replacement in the form of a XDCAM EX?

October 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Doesn't anyone have an answer?

Alex Khachatryan
October 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Jasper,

I answered to your question if it does worth anything. It obviously does.
Going to tapeless is always a good idea nowadays, unless you have a project which requires tape only.
I'd take it to my local sony center to check up since it is reaching high numbers even if it performs well and you there are no complains.

Don Bloom
October 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
There is no set answer. Depends on the usage. In other words, if it's used in the desert then it's probably used up already. If it's used under "normal" circumstances, then it's got some life left BUT it should be looked at by an authorised tech to clean the mechanisim and align the heads.
I've got a PD150 that I still use today that makess yours look like a baby as far as the hours go and
I haven't changed anything in it. I DO take it in every year for a clean and align. This camera has paid for it self time and time and time again over the last 12 years. My PD170 on the other hand had it's recording head changed last year after about 1400 recording hours.
So there is no once and final answer. With the hours you have on your camera, I would have it looked at and then keep it until it drops dead in my hand, but that's just me.

Mark Morreau
October 21st, 2012, 07:18 AM
I have just given a second life to my Z5s by switching from the MRC1K to Atomos Ninjas. I was getting very fed up with the (relatively) poor nature of the HDV codec when cut with footage from my EX1s, but I like the Z5s very much indeed, especially as I am often shooting with the cameras in inaccessible locations and the SONY RM-1000BP lets me control all aspects of the camera via LANC, which you obviously can't do with an EX1. So, a simple switch from one external recorder to another has allowed me to keep the cameras and improve the recording quality. I can see no reason now to replace them in the forseeable future.

Vince Debart
November 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I think Sony will re build it for about 600 to 800 bucks you may want to look into that .. if you did not use a head cleaning tape i bet it will go for quite a while yet,,,,, a tech I know who went to "Sony school" for broadcast gear tells me a head and drum assembly should go 2000 hrs.

Stelios Christofides
November 13th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Vince

what do you mean by this?

.. if you did not use a head cleaning tape i bet it will go for quite a while yet,,,,

stelios

Leslie Wand
November 13th, 2012, 03:06 AM
head cleaners are like running sandpaper over the heads ;-)

they'll certainly clean up any debris, but used too often will also certainly wear the heads more so than many tape passes.....