View Full Version : Dropped frames, Easy way to find?

Matt Thomas
November 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I've got some footage to edit of a multicam shoot, but the footage captured from the HDV as dropped frames (several times) which makes it hard to sync up both cameras.

What I'm looking for is if there is an easier way of finding the dropped frames automatically (just so I know where I need to cut the video and resync it), Any one have any ideas?

I don't want to recapture the tapes because they'll probably drop frames again, so would just be a waste of time and I don't really want to have to watch through the entire videos, checking for dropped frames and noting the time down as again would be quite time consuming.

Chris Medico
November 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM
That can depend on your software. As an example Avid Liquid had choices as to what to do when a dropout or TC break occurred. It could stop injesting or flag it or ignore it.

Does your software have any options as to what to do when you are bringing the video in?

D.J. Ammons
December 5th, 2012, 11:22 AM
While I can understand you not wanting to take thie time to capture the footage again I have to tell you that in four years of using HDV I have only had dropped frames a handful of times and in all of the cases except for one when I recaptured there were no dropped frames.

One telling thing that might identify if it is a capture problem is if the capture is broken up into a lot more clips than normal.