View Full Version : Need help buying new camera to replace old camera

Harry Lender
September 16th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Don't know if I posted this before. Forgive me if I did. I presently own a Canon GL-2 which I love and a Sony TRV-900 which I also love. I had to put the Sony in the repair shop. After three months of headaches they say they can't fix it. It was going to cost $800 to fix it. All I'm out now is $50. The charge to estimate the problem. I need a second camera for a wedding I'm shooting Oct15th. Do I try to buy another 900 or do I try for a GL-2? Or maybe a Sony 950? I would like to use the equipement left over from the 900, wide angle lense and 4 batteries, on another camera. Any suggestions and Ideas would be appreciated. Hope I posted this in the right catagory.

Harry

David Ennis
September 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Personally, I'd go for another GL2. It's a great cam and the consistency of footage, settings (there's already enough to think about on a two camera shoot), and accessories is very desireable. You can probably do pretty well with the Sony accessories on eBay.

Harry Lender
September 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Fred
Thanks for your reply. I've been doing some checking on the internet. What do you thank of the Panasonic PV-GS400. It seems to be a great little camera for at $1200. Three chip 1\4 inch. Camcorderinfo has agreat revue on it. I'm alittle straped for cash and was trying get the most bang for the buck. I'm still checking around. Your thoughts?.
Harry

Mathieu Ghekiere
September 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I would go for another GL2 too, or a GL1.
It will intercut much easier I suppose then with a GS400, even if that's a real fine camera on itself.
BTW: with the GS400 you don't have such manual controle I think, and it's much nicer to use a GL2.
I like the ergonomics of the GL2 much more.

Boyd Ostroff
September 17th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I suspect it will be hard to find a TRV-900 in great shape since it's been discontinued for so long. The TRV-950 doesn't use the same accessories as the 900. The batteries are different and the filter diameter is smaller. The batteries would fit the VX-2000/2100, PD-150/170, HDR-FX1 and HVR-Z1.

Harry Lender
September 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I did check out buying another TRV900 but the price is still up there a bit. Yes I to like the feel and performance of the GL2. I noticed that for about $300 or $400 more I could get another GL2. I'll keep searching for a few days more then make my move. Looks more and more like a GL2.
Thanks Again

Harry

Dale Guthormsen
September 18th, 2005, 12:08 AM
If you read enough reviews, every camera has its problems. the 400 is renown for the noise from the camera coming up on the footage!!

It is hard to beat a gl1 or 2 for picture quality and sound (but an outside mic is always a great addition to the system).

I had a lot of consideration before I bougjt the Canon. My prior digital 8 had a 37 mm lens an m battery and I had all kinds of accessories for a trek to Africa. The Sony took a dunk in Africa and was done!! When going to the new camera I thought very much like you did!! I thought a pdx 10 sony would be the answer as I could use all my accessories.
As it turned out no body advertising the sony actually had one in hand!! 48 HOURS LATER I had the gl2 in hand. I am partucularly glad I went that direction. The overall picture quality is just plain hard to beat!! the 20x zoom is terrific and the 40x digital is superior to any digital zoom I have ever seen!! It is hard to tell it is digital through most of its range!! Of course the 110x digital is worthless as most digital sooms are!! Basicly the picture quality is as good as I can make it/
I did also get a sony (insurance claiM) to replace the dead one. it shoots well in great light. As I write this I am capturing footage of a full moon with low fast moving clouds!! The sony can't really do the job!!
Back to the panny!! I would only buy one that I could try out and listen to the recordings!!

anyway, I hope I did not make the decision any harder!!!

gus

Nathaniel McInnes
September 18th, 2005, 02:48 AM
If you really want to go out and buy the camers search on the internet for it. i no it might be discontinued but some places buy about hundred of them just before they get discountinued TRV-900. Also if you get another gl2 you could also do audio dubbing.

Harry Lender
September 18th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Gus and Nathaniel and all:
Thanks for your posts. As of this time I'm leaning very much toward the GL2 because of not only your insights but due to my experiance with the GL2 and my on going searches. Now I'm basically trying to nail down a good price. Looks like a ball park figure of $1500 after the $250 rebate looks good. Thanks again for all your posts. It makes my decision much easier.

Harry

Mike Marriage
September 18th, 2005, 09:33 AM
If it is only a second camera, why not get a GL1 and save a few $$$.

The picture they produce is basically identical IMO. Is there any reason to get a new GL2 over a GL1?