View Full Version : GL2 locked up

Jerry Keener
November 24th, 2002, 07:47 PM
I am just getting used to using my new GL2 and have been very impressed with it...till this afternoon. I was shooting footage about 2 minutes into a new tape, when all of a sudden the camera locked up. There was a blue display on the screen and a number of horizontal lines. Everything else was frozen in it's current state.. Even the audio meters where frozen in their most recent position. It was as if the cpu in the camera just froze solid. (I had hit record pause about 5 seconds before this all happened.)

Before turning off the power switch, I tried to eject the tape. Nothing. The eject sequence did not happen when I opened the tape door. After trying this a few times, I finally hit the power switch, and removed the main battery and backup battery to attempt to reset the camera. I reattached to the AC adapter for power and still nothing. Sometimes the power light will come on when I put the camera in Camera or VCR mode, but nothing else in the camera responds. Since I was not at home at the time, I simply reattached the battery, put the camera in the bag and headed home. When I arrived home, I opened the bag and immediately realized that the bottom of the camera and a few other parts of the camera where quite warm to the touch. (As was the battery.) Experience tells me that something must have shorted out internally and was shorting out the battery, thus producing the heat.

I plan to contact ZGC tomorrow about what to do about this problem. I am fairly certain that the camera did indeed burn up some internal component/power board or something. I only have the camera about 3 days and only maybe 45 minutes of footage total. I am hopefull that ZGC will take care of the problem, but my main concern is: How do I get the tape out of the camera? It seems like the eject mechanism won't move since either logic or power are non existant in the camera. Is there some kind of emergency eject sequnce to get the tape out? I have important footage that I do not want to lose?

Any suggestions on how to get the tape out would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry

Jeff Donald
November 24th, 2002, 08:22 PM
There are some little tricks that can force an eject cycle sometimes. But with the electronics shorted it would be a waste of time. You don't want to tamper with things and void the warranty. When you return the camera, include a note detailing that a tape is stuck in the camera and would they please do everything possible to safely remove the tape. You should get the tape back in a couple of weeks.

Jeff

Jerry Keener
November 24th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I just tried removing the backup coin cell and the main power for a while (like maybe 5 minutes). After reapplying the ac adapter and cycling the power switch a few times, something started to happen. One of the transport or eject motors starting running at a very high speed, unlike I heard before and it didn't stop. The only way to make it stop was to disconnect power. (The power switch did not stop it.) After reapplying power again, it actually powered up normally, and the eject cycle worked properly. I am again able to play back footage from the very tape and spot on the tape where the lockup had occured. (The first time I played, it gave garbage on playback, but after a cleaning tape, it played back perfectly.) Was there some kind of tape jam that caused the camera to lockup or trip some kind of internal safety device? I never got any tape warnings or eject warnings on the screen before this all happened. The whole thing leaves me a little concerned about the camera really working as it should.

So, perhaps it reset after having all power removed for awhile including the backup coin cell battery. This still doesn't explain why the bottom of the camera got hot along with the battery. I am still going to call ZGC and ask for a replacement. After spending $2200 plus for a camera, I don't think I should be seeing behavior like this.

Thanks

Jerry

Bill Hardy
November 25th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Amazing that it bounced back from the dead like that, but yes, I would still seek an exchange.

Chris Hurd
November 25th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Jerry

ZGC will fully accomodate you; no worries. Contact them immediately. Unfortunately a DOA will happen on occasion and you were the unlucky person to get it. However you were smart to purchase from ZGC, as they will make it right for you. Hope this helps,

Jerry Keener
November 25th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Thanks Chris, for your response. I called ZGC today. I'll post back when I know more.

Thanks

Jerry

Ray Danders
November 26th, 2002, 04:15 PM
I just received my GL2 from ZGC. I read the directions and turned it on and it worked perfectly. I turned it back on a half hour later and nothing happened. I could just see a faint red light that showed it was getting some power.

I called Brian the next day, and I shipped it back and he is sending me a brand new camera. That is what I call service. I haven't received it yet, but he said he was going to send it as soon as I e-mailed him the tracking number.

I just wonder what would have happened if I had purchased my camera from Bway Photo for about $800.00 less. I think you all know the answer.

Thanks again Chris.

Jerry Keener
December 1st, 2002, 03:33 PM
Just wanted to update where I am at with the GL2 lockup issue. Christine at ZGC recomended that we send the camera to Canon and see if they find something obviously wrong. If not, she will send me a new camera. The camera made it to Canon Factory repair in NJ day before Thanksgiving, but the long holiday weekend has left me waiting in the meantime. Hopefully, I will hear something early this week. I'll post back once I know what the resolution to the problem was.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry Keener
December 3rd, 2002, 08:47 PM
I just found out that I should be getting my GL2 back from Canon in the next day or two. The person I spoke to at Canon said that they replaced the "Digital Mechanical Chassis", aligned, and did the standard checkout. I don't know what this part is specifically, but it is good to know that they at least found reason to replace something. I was also told that there should be more details with the actual paperwork when I receive the camera back. I will post back any more details on what they found to be the cause of the problem, in case it is useful to anyone else that reads this thread.

Jerry

Rich Stone
December 3rd, 2002, 09:07 PM
Actually it is very useful. I've been following this thread to see how things are working out for you.

Jerry Keener
December 4th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Just got the GL2 back from Canon today. Guess what.....now there is another problem. Words can't really say how disappointed I am that things still are not right.

Here's the problem: The microphone seems to be producing absolutely no audio. The audio meters in camera mode do not show much movement at all. The left meter will occasionally rise up and then fade again. There is no sound in the room that corresponds to this. I can clap my hands shot at the mic, but nothing....either on the meters on audible when the tape is rolling/recording and then played back. I am wondering if they forgot to hook up the microphone connection to the logic board when the service was performed. I just can hardly believe that a respected Company like Canon would make mistakes like this.

Will do more testing to see if other audio inputs work or not.
Regardless, I will be calling ZGC tomorrow and asking Christine for a new camera. I suppose I got a lemon or something.

If anyone has thoughts of some setting I should check or that I am missing, please post.

Thanks
I'll keep posting till I have a camera that is working 100%. I haven't really seen others on this forum that have had problems like this, so it must be a "lemon" or something.

Jerry

Jerry Keener
December 4th, 2002, 08:12 PM
I just tried both recording and playing back through the main A/V input on the back of the camera. Nothing at all. I played back a tape recording previously with lot's of audio (from when I first got the camera and audio was working properly). The meters show the audio properly, but no audio is output through the a/v jack.
I checked the menu for settings, tried setting the audio output to both l/r, l/l, and r/r. Also doing audio and video dubbing from an external video source to the camera=no audio, completely silent. Also, the headphone output gives nothing when hooked up playing back a tape with known working audio and footage. I called Canon tech support and the person I spoke with said that even with headphones plugged in the selecter wheel should adjust levels for the headphones on the screen. This adjustmnet never appears on the screen when headphones are plugged in. It does appear without headphones, but even the internal speaker produces nothing when turned all the way up.

All I can deduce from all of this is that the entire audio subsystem of the camera is non functional. It seems to be more than just not having the microphone hooked up internally. Again, I am very very disappointed after all of this hassle. I just want a camera that works. I'll post back after I talk with Christine at ZGC tomorrow.

Jerry

Jeff Donald
December 4th, 2002, 10:26 PM
This won't be much help to you, but maybe a little consolation as to how this type of thing happens. I used to own a large producton/post-production company. On of the divisions did camcorder and VCR repair. This time of year (Holidays) is the absolute busiest of the year. Guess what? Everybody wants their repair back by the 25th too. You can't hire part time help to fill the need because you can't train them to do the repairs in so little time. So, the repair technicians would work 20 hour days for weeks to try to stay up with the workload. I would even pitch in and help the last week. We would be delivering repairs on the 24th.

So what happens? On 4 hours, sleep you make mistakes. In your case, I would wager the camera was reassembled improperly. In their haste, to get the camera back quickly to you a human error was made. It should never have been made; it should have been caught in QC. But, this time of year mistakes happens.

Sorry for your bad luck. Please keep us posted.

Jeff

Rich Stone
December 4th, 2002, 11:22 PM
At this point I would hope that ZGC would step in, give you a new camera, and deal with the defective one themselves. They could sell it off as used or something and probably still come out okay. You did, after all, pay for a working camera. Yes, these things do happen but this is madness.

Jerry Keener
December 5th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Update:

I called ZGC this AM. Christine is going to send me a new camera as soon as she receives my defective one. I talked with one of the tech guys at ZGC as well, to verify I wasn't missing something. We both agreed that this kind of problem is so "black and white" that you think you are going crazy or are missing something obvious.

I am sending the "lemon" (ur, camera) back via UPS today. So, if the weather in the northeast cooperates, I expect to get a new replacement camera by Monday or Tuesday of next week. You can be sure I will check and test the new camera with a sharp eye very thouroughly and post back. Hopefully, the next time I post I will have some good news to report.

Jerry

Rich Stone
December 5th, 2002, 05:46 PM
That sounds great. These things are bound to happen, too bad it had to happen to you. At least it is being resolved.

Jerry Keener
December 13th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting a followup:

I received the new, replacement GL2 from ZGC on Tuesday of this week. I have been busy testing it since. In a nutshell, it is working well.
There is a bad (green) pixel near the bottom of the flip-out LCD panel, but I am not really worried about it at this point. I realize that Canon says there is likely to be a bad pixel or two. I also occasionaly notice a dark spot (pixel) on the main viewfinder. It is really hard to notice when you are shooting video, and is really only seen on very close inspection of footage with a lite background during playback. (I noticed it because I was doing test footage against solid background colors to check for things like this.)
None of these anomolies occur on playback to an external monitor, so I know the camera is shooting good video.
I've tested the camera out about as thoroughly as I can at this point, and aside from the minor annoyances already noted, it is working great. I am glad that other GL2 users haven't had the "Journey of trouble" that I have had with my first GL2. Now that I have one that is almost perfect, it seems that I finally got rid of the "lemon"
I've really only shot some low light footage indoors, so I am really looking forward to seeing what the camera is capable of when I take it outdoors and shoot in good lighting. I did some quick captures to my pc via firewire tonight and I am already impressed with how good the video looks on a sharp computer monitor over my several year old magnavox 19" tv. (no svideo inputs)

Many thanks to all who have followed this thread and offered advice along the way. I look forward to posting in the future after I spend some more time with the camera.

Jerry

Hilary Cam
December 14th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Hey, as someone set on buying a GL2 (almost), it is very disconcerting to hear of stories like these. The other camera I’m looking at, coming a close 2nd, the Sony VX2000 is constantly referred to as a sturdy workhorse which can be "dropped from a height and bounce back like nothing happened". Obviously I would take a bit more care of my camera then that, but I was wondering what peoples’ opinions where of the sturdiness and longevity (only been on the market a little while I know) of the GL2 as I’ve heard nightmare stories of Canon’s less then perfect manufacturing.

Thanks.

Bill Hardy
December 14th, 2002, 05:59 AM
-And I am still hearing stories of VX2000 hum. If you are a member you should check out this thread:

http://dv.com/forums/showReplies.jhtml?sid=1&fid=2&tid=31300015

If not you should become a member of dv.com.

Just my advise. The GL2 is built very well for durability; just don't drop it with the LCD door open; it does not feel as sturdy as the GL1 door. Presently my GL2 is in perfect condition with no dead LCD or CCD pixels.

Jeff Donald
December 14th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Hilary,

Supercow was unfortunate to purchase and be shipped a camera with a defect. It is impossible to know if the defect was a manufacturing defect or damage caused in shipping. Either way, the manufacturers warranty provides a remedy. Unfortunately the timing of the required warranty repair could not have been worse. The Holiday season is by far the busiest time of year for repair agencies. Starting the middle of November and ending the middle of December, the daily volume will increase 8 to 10 fold. It is not possible to get adequate additional help for such a short time. The only remedy is to work incredibly long hours, seven days a week. During that time mistakes happen as a result of human error. It is unfortunate, but it is the reality of the situation.

I have been in the camera, photography, video business for over 23 years. In that time I have learned that the repair business is a thankless and tiring job. It takes a special personality to deal with complaints on a day to day basis. Supercow had the good fortune to purchase his camera from a very reputable and service oriented retailer. Believe me, most retailers would have told Supercow to send it back to Canon to have it adjusted again. ZGC, on the other hand, values Supercows patronage and replaced the camera. They did the right thing by the customer.

No manufacture is in a position to replace every product that a customers feels does not meet his or her expectations. That is why warranties exist. Canon is a leading camera manufacture that makes outstanding products. They are known for the quality of their construction, reliability and performance. I would match a Canon product against any leading manufactures product in the same price range. The GL2 is no exception. It is very rugged (as video cameras go) and manufactured to the highest standards. However, defects or damage can occur in manufacture and shipping of the product. The GL2 and its predecessor have an above average repair record (based on my contacts and queries in the independent repair agency industry) and should be considered for purchase and use by anyone looking for a high performance video camera.

On a personal note, I do not work for Canon USA or any other manufacture, distributer or retailer in any capacity. Any of the cameras in the GL2's class should give you years of use given reasonable care and protection. I would base my decision on purchasing a camera based on the features, benefits, and ergonomics (fit, finish, feel) of the camera. The GL2 is such a camera and is well worth your continued consideration. I would not make a decision based on a few isolated reports on repair issues. Good luck on your quest for the ideal camera.

Jeff

Hilary Cam
December 14th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your quick replies.

Buddy1065, Yes the infamous hum/hiss in the background sound recording on the VX2000 was one of the flaws that pushed me to seriously looking into the GL2, and the more i looked, the more impressed i became. The low light excellence of the VX2000 was the main sticking point for me that kept the VX2000 in the running. But in all seriousness I am aimed at getting GL2 (or XM2 as they are for PAL down here).

Thanks Jeff, although I might normally expect to get biased feedback on a GL2 forum section, your experience in this field has been reassuring. Just seems theres not much focus on sturdiness of these cameras in the good 100-odd reviews and user opinions I've read from people who recently bought the GL2. It is all too often overlooked unless you are the unfortunate one who experiences a failure firsthand. It would be great to hear some good news stories, but seeing as the GL2 is a fairly recent release, I guess I'll have to judge this aspect by listening to long time GL1 owners.

Thanks again.

Jeff Donald
December 14th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Hilary,

Hopefully Barry Goyette, a member, will respond. Above anyone else I would trust Barry's opinion as to the ruggedness of the GL2 (he's a former GL1 owner, too). I don't know of anyone who has put as much time and effort into not only learning the GL2, but helping others get the most out of their GL2.

Jeff

Barry Goyette
December 15th, 2002, 12:37 AM
did I hear my name?....

I've run about 50 or so tapes through my gl2 in the past 5 months, and so far I've had no problems with the camera. While the camera has a slightly less solid feel than the gl1, I am not known for being kind to my equipment, and I've handled it plenty, with at least 20 or so outings hiking in our local mountains, plus a few rowdy clubs and the occasional fashion shoot---it still looks and feels brand new. I'm not sure I would drop it from any height...but then again I think this statement about the vx2000 might be slightly exaggerated---as it's build seems very similar to me.

Hillary, I've bought a substantial number of cameras over the years, both still (film and digital) and video. My experience is that digital camera's have a somewhat higher failure rate than their analog predecessors. I've owned 4 canon camcorders over the years, and have had a significant problem with only one of them. Canon's service has been extremely good, and with excellent dealers like zgc, zotz, and others, problems like the one discussed in this thread are atypical, and when they do occur, my impression is that they are dealt with in a satisfactory manner.

Any forum like this will bring to light the occasional problem with a particular camera, but I have rarely seen anything close to a "nightmare" regarding canon's build quality. In fact, the gl2 thread has been one of the most active on this site, since the introduction of the camera, and there has been little reporting of problems...especially something that would indicate a trend...other than the occasional dead pixel on the LCD. Typically product introductions are followed by a raft of complaints about a particular problem with the product (ie the above mentioned noise issues)...but with the gl2, this hasn't been the case.

As has been said before on this site many times, all of these cameras have a lot more in common (including internal components) than not. The best way to make a choice is to decide what features and qualities you value most, and then pick the camera that gets closest to your ideal. Good luck with your choice.

Barry

Mark Austin
December 15th, 2002, 12:45 AM
I hope it is one of the very few GL2's that is a turky. I have had nothing but great luck with mine, but you never know do you...trouble can come anytime. Thanks for keeping up to date with this thread. Even though you are going through some crap, it's nice to know it's going to get resolved in your favor.
Mark

Craig Peer
December 16th, 2002, 04:57 PM
I accidently " thwacked " my GL2 against a rock while hiking with it in the Sierras last August - no problems. I also dropped my Optura 100mc in a parking lot before hiking up Mt. Lassen. It was in a nylon bag and took a good hit. The tape door is now slightly tweaked and hard to open, but it functions fine other than that. That Optura and another went up a 1000' ice and rock climb on Mt. Dade. I've been dragging small Canon camcorders up mountains for about 4 years now - they're a lot tougher that you would think. I believe the GL2 is also! And if you do have a problem, I have found Canon service to be fast and priced fair!

Jerry Keener
December 16th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Another 2 cents of my own.....

I would agree that with the grief that I endured with my first GL2, it doesn't bode well for GL2's track record. But......

I am thoroughly convinced that my first camera was a true "lemon" and was made more of a lemon by Canon's repair haste during a busy season. As Barry and others pointed out, Canon does seem to have a good product. I trust that their service is normally good, although my experience was an exception. I happened to be the user who got to experience the rare bad camera and bad repair service at the same time.

As I use my new GL2 more, I am appreciating the quality of picture, control of picture, and depth of features that have made the GL2 a very good performer. I do have 1 bad pixel on the LCD screen and a spot or two in the EVF that look a little odd in certain shooting situations. But, these are minor, if not picky, annoyances. For me, recorded picture quality is the objective. This quality is flawless from my testing thus far. The camera has worked flawlessly from a mechanical standpoint as well.

I would also add that I am very glad to have bought from ZGC. If one has to get a bad camera, it better come from a place like ZGC that can and will "Make it right."

The fact is that electronic devices will always have the "lemon" amoung them, no matter who makes it.

I didn't intend to make this a long thread, but I think it is good to discuss these things and, if nothing else, prove the importance of buying from a reputable dealer when things go bad.

Now I want to focus on making good video with my GL2.
Enough said.

Jerry

Robert Knecht Schmidt
January 7th, 2003, 11:19 PM
I recently learned the etymology of the usage of the word "lemon" to mean a malfunctional product while listening to NPR. On the original slot machines fabricated before the times of Las Vegas or Atlantic City, getting a lemon meant losing your money regardless of what other fruit shapes appeared.