View Full Version : VG20 Cheap Lens solutions?

Chris Law
November 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hello, I just wanted to know if there's any cheap lenses that provide a extreme wide, something not like a fish-eye wide lens but something that stands out when you want a perspective shot. Also if you have any experience of third party lenses that work well on the VG20 for video purposes please tell me. Thanks for your time.

Chris Joy
November 25th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I guess you'd have to define "cheap" as it means different things to different people. IMHO the Samyang 14mm/2.8 (= 21mm FOV) and its variants are an unbeatable value as they can be had for less than $400 on ebay - even with the additional cost of an adapter. The E-mount 16mm (= 24mm FOV) is selling for about $150 new these days and less used on ebay. If cheap gets you closer to $600 or so, the Tokina 11-16/2.8 (= 16-24mm FOV) is awesome. The Samyang and the Tokina are big lenses, but the IQ is really good for a UWA lens, better than most of what I've seen from the E-mount 16mm - though some seem to have gotten exceptional copies that produce great results. The extra width of the 14mm makes for some pretty dramatic shots, the 11mm on the Tokina even more so.

Bill Bruner
November 25th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Hi Chris - have you considered the NEX-mount £151 Sigma 19mm f2.8 and/or the £133 Sigma 30mm f2.8?

Both are good value for money, and will give you autofocus and autoiris with your VG20 (without the extra cost or bother of an adapter).

Hope this is helpful

Bill

P.S. some people think the 30mm is the "Best of All Available E Mount lenses (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/surprise-is-the-sigma-30mm-lens-the-best-of-all-available-e-mount-lenses/)"!

P.P.S. here is a low light test of the 19mm on the amazing Sony NEX-FS100: Sony NEX-FS100 & Sigma 19mm f 2:8 TEST - YouTube

John Vincent
November 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Here's a quick little test I did using the NEX 16mm lens:
Short test of the Flycam Nano using the Sony VG-20 - YouTube

It's not the sharpest lens in the world, but it's super small and light (therefore perfect for a stedicam), and because it's actually a NEX lens, it can "talk" to the camera. Picked mine up used for $150.

Chris Law
December 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know if the E mount pancake along with the VCL-ECU1 works well for video. I've heard it isn't sharp enough for video but a video I saw of it looked fine. After all in the end it works out to 16mm (35mm) perfect for video.

Paul Rickford
December 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know if the E mount pancake along with the VCL-ECU1 works well for video. I've heard it isn't sharp enough for video but a video I saw of it looked fine. After all in the end it works out to 16mm (35mm) perfect for video.

I have used it a few times and it looks more than sharp enough for the odd super wide shot, the edges are a little soft wide open but as the VG20 crops the sensor image in Video mode more than in photo mode you wont notice.

Chris Law
December 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Would this lens work on the VG20 with an adapter?

Professional CCTV lens 3.5-8mm varifocal manual iris CS | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-CCTV-lens-3-5-8mm-varifocal-manual-iris-CS-/160426428637?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item255a2908dd)

Thank you.

Nevermind 'CS mount lenses use the same thread as C-mount lenses, but expect flange distance of around 12.5mm. D mount also is similar, but with a narrower throat and 12.3mm flange distance. Thus, CS and D mount lenses would require a deeply recessed adapter to be able to focus to infinity'

Turns out I need to get C mount if anything.