View Full Version : Dumb After Effects Question

David Knaggs
December 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I can't believe it's gotten to the point where I have to come onto the forum and ask this, but I've wasted nearly half a day searching for this yesterday (including the After Effects help pdf and a number of Lynda.com tutorials). Perhaps the answer has been "right under my nose" all the time and I've simply overlooked it. Who knows? Perhaps I've been using the wrong search terms.

I've been delighted with After Effects on the growing number of occasions that I've used it. But, until now, I've always viewed the composition in the viewer (or "panel") with it set to "fit". I've currently got a composition which has some very fine detail near the bottom. But when I set the viewing panel to 100% or 200% it gives me an expanded view of the middle of the frame. And, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to scroll to the bottom. I can't see scroll bars or a little box (like in the new FCP X where you drag around in the tiny box to go up and down or side to side).

I'm sure there's a really simple way to do it (which is why I acknowledge that it's a dumb question).

Can anyone help out and give a quick answer to this?

Thanks.

Scott Elkins
December 8th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hit the "H" key for hand, then click & drag ( don't forget to switch back "V") or just hold the space bar as you click and drag.
No such thing as a dumb question.

Victor Nguyen
December 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
yup, I recommend just hold down spacebar for the hand tool. One of my favorite thing in after effect to help me work faster.

David Knaggs
December 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks, guys! It works like a charm.

Your help is much appreciated!

Todd Kopriva
December 9th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Here's the section of the After Effects Help document with the information that you were looking for:
Adobe After Effects * General user interface items (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSB8DDC87E-577E-4099-A5D0-B266E9543E09a.html)