View Full Version : Video Editing Software For GL-2 Cameras

Bob Williams
January 10th, 2013, 05:42 PM
What are some of the video production/editing software being used with your Canon GL-2 and other Canon cameras? I have a Canon VIXIA HF M300 as my personal video camera. I am in the process of seriously upgrading my PC for this task and am now looking to purchase a good but not overly expensive program to edit my pastor's church sermon videos. We use 2 Canon GL-2's. I am presently looking at CyberLink Power Director 11 deluxe but I know there are others. We will be using the church camera that has the best presentation. As I've stated in another post, our cameras are operated separately for each church service. Please give my your suggestions. Thank you so much.

bob williams

Don Bloom
January 10th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Vegas. You could use the Pro version OR use the Studio version. Studio is less powerful than the Pro but is less costly and has pretty much the same workflow. Check Edward Troxels posts about it. He runs his churches videoworld and uses Vegas. (at least he use to-think he still does.)

Bob Williams
January 10th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Good evening Don,

Thank you for the chime in. I was not familiar with "Vegas". I can certainly add this program to my knowledge database. I will do the research and gather as much info as I can. Thank you again sir.

bob williams

Don Palomaki
January 11th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I curently use EDIUS (from Grass Valley). This is a full, highly capable, non-linear editing (NLE) program. The curent verison is 6.5, but I am still using v6.0x. There is a lite version called "EDIUS Neo" as well. Same user interface but a reduced feature set and price. Both version of EDIUS do well editing both the AVI (SD) formats from the GL2 era camcorders, the HDV formats from the XHA1 and VIXa tape camcorders, and the AVCHD formats from the newer tape-less HD camcorders. And they readily mix video formats on the timeline. ("Edit anything" is their slogan.)

I have previously used Adobe's Premier and Avid's Liquid. Before that I did linear editing using tape-to-tape gear (e.g., Videonics AB-1 edit controller, MX series mixer, and TM series titler, and various Hi8, SVHS, and DV VCRs).

There are many NLEs on the market at price points from around $50 to $3000 and higher, a couple basic systems came bundled with the operating system (Win Movie Maker and iMovie come to mind), and ther are some freeware producets as well. In some cases the commercial NLE products are available in product suites or as stand-alone editors. They also often have third-party "plug-ins" available that will extend the products' features (e.g., more filters, effects, and transitions).

After you get past the limitations of the compute platform (i.e., PC vs. MAC, and operating system versions) there is a lot of personal preference in NLE software selection. Different products have relative strengths; e.g., audio editing, multi-camera support, AVCHD support, realtime display, proxy file editing, more included effects and filters, DVD/BD authoring, etc. that can influence you decision. A bit like picking a team - some folks like the Saints and some the Falcons, some teams emphasize the run and other the pass, but in the end they are both just football teams. You need to find one with which you are content, and not be unduely influenced by advocates for one or another system - you need the assess the NLEs in light of your requirements, not someone else's.

Pricing varies but generally speaking, the basic consumer levelproducts are in the under $150 range, the more serious professional products (e.g., used by event videographes and station news rooms) are the next step up and typically run under $800, andfor the stuff used by networks and major studios the sky is the limit. However, discounts are often available, as are cross grade promotions. And you can often find "used' software available at places like EBay at bargain prices (but be sure you can get a valid license transferred to you, and be sure it is supported by your gear.) If you, your organization, and use qualify, education versions can save money for non-commercial use purposes.

Chris Hurd
January 11th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I was not familiar with "Vegas"

Hi Bob, just wanted to point out that we have a HUGE forum here dedicated to the Sony Vegas editing software.

It's located here: What Happens in Vegas... Forum at DVinfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)

Bob Williams
January 11th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Good morning all and I can't thank you enough for providing very valuable information that will certainly help me, my pastor and my church. I am not ashamed to admit I am a complete novice at this but believe with help from you all, I can do a good job presenting my pastor and his sermons to the public. A friend of mine has advised me to upgrade my ASUS (3 year old) computer. I am raising the RAM to 16 Gbytes, ordering a fast Sonnet Allegro 3.0 card, an additional 1 Tbyte (7200) and hard drive docking station.

By chance I ran across a review of CyberLink Power Director 11 delux, Corel Video Studio Pro, Adobe Premiere Elements 11, Video Pad Master's Edition 2.41, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2013 Plus, Pinnacie Studio 16, and Roxio Creator NXT video editing software. Actually, I had no idea there was so much video editing software available. According to the review the Cyber Link Power Director 11 Delux tested the best of the bunch but I really don't know. I say 'I don't Know" based on my being an avid audiophile/stereophile over many years and reading reviews of amplifiers, speakers, etc. Mr. Hurd I will be going to the link you provided.

I want to say how proud I am to have been welcomed into and being a member of this wonderful forum. Here one has an opportunity to become well versed in the video reproduction area. I am more than pleased. Being brand new I need all the assistance you all can provide. Thank you.

bob williams

Pete Bauer
January 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Bob,

"What NLE" gets asked fairly regularly, and the answer is easy in your case because you want to edit mini-DV: get the nonlinear editing software you find most intuitive when you try it.

Just about any NLE will have a free downloadable trial. Any computer bought in the last few years can cut through mini-DV like butter and will have plenty of features and effects. You just need to spend a few hours with each NLE you might be interested in buying because each has its own way of doing essentially the same tasks.

I make this point because in discussions like this one, people often mistake what they happen to like as a universal "best." Sometimes it really is "best;" sometimes it is just their preference and wouldn't work as well for someone else.

Read a bit about Avid, Cyberlink, Edius, Final Cut (Mac only), Premiere (there's a Pro and a simpler "Elements"), Vegas and any others that catch your eye; then try before you buy. It sounds like a lot of work but in a few evenings of exploring you'll probably have much more confidence that you're buying the right thing for your work.

I'll bet in no time you'll be as addicted to videography as the rest of us. Welcome home!

Bob Williams
January 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Good morning Mr. Peter Bauer,

Your point is well taken and I do agree with you regarding the fact that some folk may prefer a video editing program. There are many factors that go into selecting this kind of software. I have a PC which is being upgraded to hopefully meet the challenge of whatever software I finally end up with. The first priority is, it must be easy to use with as many features as possible. I am not so much interested in making movies as I am presenting my pastor's Sunday and other special sermons out to the public in a professional manner.

I also must keep in mind that I want to help my wife (who is a realtor) put homes and land on her company website. Of course I would want to present her efforts in a professional manner as well. So, whatever editing software I end up with must be able to transfer/download/upload video from the Canon GL-2's at church and my own Canon VIXIA HF M300 which also renders beautiful videos. My wife and I use this camera for her real estate work. By the way, I've seen the term "AVCHD" related to the Canon cameras but don't know what this means or how it relates. There is so very much to learn about this wonderful field. Thank you so much.

bob williams

Chris Hurd
January 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Bob,

AVCHD -- Advanced Video Coding High Definition -- is a video recording format.

This page goes into some pretty deep detail: AVCHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD)

One way to think about AVCHD, is to recall that the old DV standard of recording standard definition video to a Mini-DV cassette tape, was replaced around 2005 with the advent of HDV, which recorded HD (high definition) video to those same Mini-DV cassette tapes. Now with the advent of AVCHD, you can consider that as a common standard for recording HD to tapeless media... such as DVD, hard drive, memory card, built-in flash memory, etc.

DV -- standard definition video recording to tape
HDV -- high definition video to recording to tape
AVCHD -- high definition video recording to tapeless media

That's the highly simplified overview. There are other HD standards and formats, but AVCHD is the most common and best supported one, before you get up into the really high-end and expensive arena.

Bob Williams
January 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Mr. Hurd thanks so much sir. Actually, my primary need to know about "AVCHD" has to do with whether any video editing software I end up with will be able to process video files from the Canon cameras. When I first started trying to find out about the GL-2's and Canon cameras in general, I read somewhere that AVCHD caused some difficulties where processing videos from Canon cameras was concerned. As long as that is not a problem I am OK. Since I don't plan to become a videographer I don't think it will make a lot of difference or have a negative impact on the final videos I am able to produce. At least that's my hope (smile). I do want to provide the very best video outcomes for my church, pastor and of course my wife. Thanks again.

bob williams

Chris Hurd
January 11th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hi Bob, any of the *currently* available editing software options will be able to handle AVCHD.

As Pete Bauer suggests above, the best thing you can do is download the free trial versions and try them out... the one that seems easiest and most intuitive to use, will be the right one for you!

Bob Williams
January 11th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Everyone has been so very kind to me here and I truly appreciate that. I am just amazed that no one is trying to push a particular software program, but kindly share general information that has been most helpful. I do plan to download the fee trials and see what's going to work best. Whatever works best is the one I will go with. I am now waiting for the parts I ordered to get my computer upgraded. Once they are installed I will be ready to test and see what works for me. Thanks again all.

bob williams

Pete Bauer
January 11th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Bob,

AVCHD is indeed a lot more demanding than mini DV so make sure you check that as you test. Sounds like your system hardware will be adequate to the task and it'll just be a matter of choosing the software you like.

I have edited Canon AVCHD (Vixia HF10 footage, to be specific) using the last three or four versions of Premiere Pro without any troubles. Can't speak to other software but wouldn't expect any issues.

Bob Williams
January 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Pete and everyone who has bent over backwards to be helpful, thank you so much. I have a very basic goal for video editing software. I want the software to be able to take the video from the either Canon camera, put it on the computer hard drive so it can be processed and then permit me to put the outcome on a website. That is what I am hoping for. Of course I want a professional look from a layman's point of view but I am not wanting to be too fancy. I just want the very best outcome I can get without lots of problems.

Since getting into video for my church, I realize I have some problems making my thoughts clear. Here is what I want to do with any video editing software I choose:

> Provides a method for cutting stuff not needed
> Putting clips together if needed
> Adding various text
> Maybe tying in some christian music (from our church choir)
> Putting the video online

Thanks again all.

bob williams

Don Palomaki
January 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Consider getting:
"Digital Video For Dummies," 4th Edition, by Keith Underdahl
ISBN: 978-0-471-78278-0
384 pages
February 2006
Amazon.com: Digital Video For Dummies: Keith Underdahl: Books

Not a new book, but a starting point and it dates to the era of the GL2. There are other books available as well that are newer and/or focused on specific NLEs and on related subjects. This should provide a lot of introduction to the jargon folks use here as well as technique and other considerations. (Dummies applies to the title, not the content or reader, although the series tends to be an easy read as technical subjct books go.) Your library just might have a copy of it or related books.

The "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" sectionat the botom of the above web page lists several other books that might be of interest.

Bob Williams
January 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Don, Good Afternoon,

I already have that book on order from Amazon. As a matter of fact, you mention the origin of the Canon GL2. To show where I am, I thought the camera was put on the market about 2009. Fact is, the GL-2 pre-dated 2009. It was not until I began to go back in some of the posts here that people were talking about purchasing this camera as far back as 2006. That means the mini-tape technology came along very early. I am sure this technology is not being produced anymore (WOW)! I've got lots to learn and rearing to go (smile). Thanks so much sir.

bob williams

Chris Hurd
January 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM
The Mini-DV cassette tape was first introduced in 1995. Interestingly enough, Panasonic still carries a Mini-DV camcorder on their current product pages today, that being the venerable DVX100 "B" model at Panasonic AG-DVX100B Professional Camcorder (http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/AG-DVX100B.asp) -- and Panasonic had one of the very first Mini-DV camcorders ever, the AG-EZ1 (see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/93878-panasonic-ag-ez1.html)

Sony still shows current with a tape-based HDV camcorder (records High Definition to Mini-DV), the HDR-FX1000, on their consumer site and *several* HDV camcorders still showing current on their pro video product pages at Sony | Cameras - Broadcast & Production | HDV (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-hdv/)

It ain't gone yet... the Mini-DV cassette tape is entering its 18th year!

Don Bloom
January 11th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I still have my VX1000 circa 1995 or 96. For it's time, it was world class!

Chris Hurd
January 11th, 2013, 04:15 PM
When the VX1000 initially came out, it made me take a long questioning look for the first time at the VX3 we had in our studio. I knew right then that we had to get with the program and graduate from Hi-8 on up to DV.

Don Palomaki
January 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Fact is, the GL-2 pre-dated 2009.

Would you believe that the GL2 came out in the summer of 2002. It replaced the GL1 that came out in 1999.

It has had a remarkably long product life (over 10 yers so far). Canon still lists the GL2 on their professional camcorder Web page at CanonDV.com.

Bob Williams
January 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Good Monday Afternoon Don,

Are you kidding?? I had no idea the Canon GL-2 was that old. Indeed, it has been around for a long time. And you say Canon still has this camera listed. I would assume that as long as the GL-2 is listed they will provide service if needed. Thanks for the update sir.

bob williams

Chris Hurd
January 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Indeed, service will be provided up to seven years past the EOL (end-of-life) date. And as long as it's listed as a current product, it's not EOL.

Bob Williams
January 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Hello Chris,

Thank you for the followup. This is good to know and I can pass this on to my pastor.

bob williams

Luis Valenzuela
January 14th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Mr Bob Williams, let me be the first to chip in and suggest a specific NLE that will likely fit your needs. I will try to simplify my answer in order to explain my suggestion. For reference, I am a video editor for many years now, currently using Final Cut Pro (employment) and Edius (at home), but have created several pieces in various software packages such as Vegas Video, Adobe Premiere, Edit Studio, and even Casablanca editing hardware.

The program in question is called Edit Studio 6, created by Mediachance and it runs under Windows.

You have mentioned that your camera shoots in a standard definition 4x3 square-ish or 16x9 wide but anamorphic (anamorphic being a wide image squeezed into a square image, that gets 'un-squeezed' upon playback or editing.

From what I recall when using version 5 several years back, Edit Studio is extremely user friendly, fast, and very stable (rather important when editing long pieces). In fact, it is still my favorite piece of software for video editing, and I would be using it if was available for High Definition material.

Yes, it only edits Standard definition video, but this is actually a good thing. Let me explain: There are a few freeware programs that I use, and many of them do not get updated anymore even when the creator of those applications continues to remain active with other projects. You see, it is my belief that once a program reaches maturity, there is more chances for itself to become bloated and slow when more updates and features are added.

Edit Studio does not get updated anymore, but that's because it is extremely good at doing one thing: editing standard definition video. Considering that your footage is either AVI or MOV with DV compression, even a 7 year old computer wouldn't have problems editing your material.

I'm not going into the features of the program since they can easily be found on their homepage, but I have focused on the items that I believe make this program something to consider for ease of use, stability, and price... $50 or so.

I hope that helps. Regards

Bob Williams
January 14th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Good Monday afternoon Mr.Valenzuela,

Thank you sir for sharing this information with me. I have settled on "CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate" as I move forward assisting my pastor and church. As stated before, my primary responsibility will be to process the video tape sermons via GL-2. The sermons all run about 50 to 55 minutes. There will be no splicing required usually. I should be able to move the videos from the camera to my computer for work using CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate. Once that's complete I should have no problems moving the final work to the internet/church website. That's my thinking at least. We will have to see if the process goes as I have been told it should. Any additional suggestions and ideas using PowerDirector is welcomed.

bob williams

Don Palomaki
January 15th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Bob:

Since many NLE's have been mentioned above, a thought. Find the end user discussion/support forums (both the developer's and third party) for any software you are considering. Scan the posts and responses going back a year or so to get a feel for both the software problems, developer support for resolution, and user-to-user support. View them in light of your planned usage. (You can learn a lot from the posts of others that goes beyond the specific questions asked.)

Based on the discussions in this forum, I think that you would be well served by having a product with a substantial user community that is active in the forums.

Bob Williams
January 15th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Good Tuesday Morning Don,

To the best of my ability I've done just what you suggest here in your post. I have decided to go with CyberLink's PowerDirector 11. I believe this software package will do what I need and provide outstanding results for my pastor and my wife's real estate efforts. I am very excited and want to get started as quickly as possible. Of course I appreciate and continue to look for suggestions and help wherever I can get it. I can never know too much about this field. It is wide and expansive with all kinds of twists and turns. And I understand there is always new stuff to be learned. I've learned a great deal from great people right on this forum. What an exciting group of folk who take of their important time to assist me and others. I can never say "thank you" enough.

bob williams

Brian Drysdale
January 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM
It might be a bit lare, but you could also check out Lightworks. Lightworks (http://www.lwks.com/) This is a NLE with a long history and seems to be on the way towards a revival with over 400,000 users registered on its web site.

There are two versions available, a free version with some limitations or the Pro version which handles a much wider range of Codecs and has other features. The latter works on an annual subscription basis.

Currently, it's Windows, but it's working towards being cross platform.