View Full Version : Newb setup questions

Bruce Schultz
January 26th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I have all my footage (3D) on an external G-Raid ESATA drive and I have another one that is empty and available to put all my output and scratch data on to. Can Edius 6.5 be set up like FCP or PPro with assigned drive locations for these outputs? I would like to not have to work off the internal SATA drive (C:) if possible so as to increase speed and playback reliability.

I'm a newb who is converting from FCP to Edius for 3D projects.

Noa Put
January 26th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I have no 3D experience but did you post your question on the Grassvalley forum? Not saying it's not good to ask here but think you"ll have even more responses there as Grassvaley employees also answer questions and you have a dedicated group of users with lots of experience.

Bruce Schultz
January 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Yes I did post there also, but being a newb it's awaiting moderator approval. Really has nothing to do with 3D editing but more to do with basic Edius program settings. I've looked there and all the other settings tabs but no mention anywhere about setting previews, scratch, or output drives.

Noa Put
January 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I do work with edius 6.5 and I just have one drive containing my footage I edit and one drive for my exports, (there are more drives but more for backup reasons) Edius doesn't require any specific setup but I cannot say for sure for 3D.
I have a I7 950 with 12gb of memory and a basic 2gb gtx460 card, all my footage from my dslr and avchd cams are done natively and in realtime, also multicam edits up to 4 camera's.

Luis Valenzuela
February 4th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Bruce, as far as I remember (Edius 6.5 trial), when you start the application there is an option to select a single drive/directory for cache/autosave/copying media files/render files...

They way I setup my workstation is: Windows + Edius installed on a 96GB partition (128GB Intel SSD), and an external SATA bare drive sitting on a eSATA dock. On Edius I selected this external drive/dock as my main directory to work in.

At 80-140 megabytes per second on the external drive, there is more than enough bandwidth to edit multiple streams if needed (rarely do), even when I use 720p Motion-JPEG video files (10-12 Megabytes per second data rate). With H.264 (DSLR or POV cam) is a breeze (60 Megabits per second per stream tops).