View Full Version : 29 Minute Max Recording Time.

Kyle Root
February 7th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I'm curious, has anyone out there recorded to the max 29 minute continuous limit with a D800 (600)?

I'm wondering about heat.

Last year, I shot a July 4th event that lasted about 1 hr and 15 minutes. I had a second shooter who was using his Canon 7D. Aside from the short recording times (I forget but it was like 12 minutes or something), the DSLR was getting very hot by the end of the show. Just wondering if the D800 exhibits similar after 29 minutes of continuous shooting.

Right now, I'm in a really crazy situation as I'm not entirely sure which route I want to go with in getting a second camera to compliment my Sony NX5U. Also, this is all about shooting weddings at this point, which is how I make money.

My lines of thought in no particular order are:

(1) Go with a very similar style, like a Sony NX70 which would be more compact, yet still has pro audio inputs plus the newer 1080/60P capability. It would have a familiar interface and have a decent amount of manual control for event videography. Cons are, it won't allow for quite the creative possibilites as a larger sensor APSC or FX camcorder should I decide to try some of that.

(2) Go with a DSLR as a second video camera which would I would use mostly for wide shots during wedding ceremonies. As time permits, maybe do something a little more creative with pre-ceremony and reception footage B roll type shots, but not starting out with it. Wide shot only. (I'm also becoming a photo enthusiest, so this has double the bang for the buck in that I would also be using it for travel and landscape photography.)

(3) Go with what I call a hybrid - like the Sony VG30 with the 18-200 power zoom. My fear there from what I'm seeing is lack of manual controls for run and gun situations. This would kind of be the best of both worlds in terms of that "DSLR" look with a video camcorder feature. Just not sure about the actual ergonomics of use during a wedding. But then again, if it's wide only it probably doesn't matter too much.

On top of all that, right now I'm shooting a Nikon D90 for photos, and really like it, and want to see if Nikon releases a successsor to the D300s/D7000, and what the video capabilities are of a newer high end/pro DX based body.

I've got to choose a path soon because my first wedding is the last Saturday in March.

Jeff Zimmerman
February 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Hey Kyle, I faced some similar questions. In 1080p24 or 1080p30 the record limit is 20 minutes. More if you shoot in a lesser resolution. Recently shot a concert using the D800 and D600. No over-heating and they were running 2 hours continuously. Between records the camera cycled fast and I was able to begin record just seconds after stopping.

Personally I think it would be a good complimentary camera to your NX5U. Keeping in mind the shorter record times. However, it does give that excellent cinema look and the picture is very sharp and clean. Also be sure to test side by side with your NX5U to match color profiles. I shoot Neutral Color Profile with +1 magenta to matchup with Canon cameras better.

I'm also in need of another video camera for longer record times such as weddings. Actually considering the Panasonic AF100. It has XLR's, ND Filters, adaptable to Nikon lenses and it can run long record times. Plus I should still achieve some nice depth of field. And since there 2 years old I should be able to find a good deal on one.

Sam Renkin
February 26th, 2013, 12:49 PM
FWIW, I have a Sony Z5U (the HDV tape/MRC-1 version of the NX5U) as my primary camera, and a Nikon D600 as my secondary camera. My wife has a D5100, and the 24MP sensor takes BEAUTIFUL photos. It lacks some control over the video settings, and the lack of tactile controls on the camera body limit what I can do with it for production. Much prefer the D600 and the new D7100 looks great too. Both have headphone jacks!

The DSLR format excels at shallow depth of field and low light image capture, so I use it for close up interviews and "eye candy" clips, while the Z5U with it's long recording time is my master shot resource.

I'm considering the purchase of an Atomos Ninja so I can capture 4:2:2 ProRes files from the Sony's HDMI output and avoid buying a new video camera.

Sam