View Full Version : ClipWrap 2.5.8: are two windows faster, slower, or the same?

Tad Newberry
February 8th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I just got a second window going/processing, and figured it would wait in the background until the first window was done, but it started along with the other. Will each window render at half speed compared to only having one window at a time? Just curious, because i need to start working with the files from the first window ASAP. Thanks, if anyone knows the answer.

Colin McFadden
February 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Howdy - the answer is mostly yes, with a big helping of "but it depends."

If you're on a many-core machine, like an 8 or 12 core Mac Pro, and have fast storage, running two windows may very well run 2x as fast as two jobs run sequentially. That's because many codecs, including prores, can't effectively use more than about 4 cpus at a time.

Now, if you're on a laptop or a machine without as many cores, or if you're storage bandwidth constrained (all your files are on a slow laptop drive for example), running two windows in parallel will definitely cause each to run at half the speed.

Hope that helps

-Colin

Tad Newberry
February 8th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Hey Colin,

Thanks AGAIN for the superbly fast response...on both sites, and my apologies for double-posting. I suppose when this render is done i'll do an actual test on a few files and report back my findings. I am on a quad-core Mac Pro, so it looks like window 1 is probably running just as fast with window 2 also going.

Tad