View Full Version : how many computers can i load my clipwrap onto?

Rob Katz
February 11th, 2013, 06:59 PM
i have a project where i am in two different locations on three different macs (mac pro, imac & macbook pro).

the footage will be shot with a sony fs100 which produces mts files.

i want to use clipwrap to take the fs100 mts files and re-wrap into 422 pro res.

can i buy clipwrap from the apple store and have it loaded on each of the three machines?

if not, do i really need to buy three licenses of clipwrap to get my project done?

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc

Colin McFadden
February 11th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I believe the App Store allows you to install software on up to five computers on a single apple id, so that should be fine. As developers, we don't control any of that, it's up to Apple.

-Colin

John Nantz
February 11th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Plus, with the App Store the application is "sanitized" against malicious kind of stuff, so that's a plus.

Also, they let you know when there are updates, another plus, and the updates are vetted too.

I really like the vetting part. May not be perfect but it's better than nothing.

Rob Katz
March 20th, 2013, 07:14 AM
colin/john-

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

be well.

rob

as a follow-up, if i purchased clipwrap directly from the divergent media website, how would i install the software on multiple machines?

am i given a serial number that lets me load on my different edit machines?

and lastly, is there a limit on how many machines/times i can download?

thanks in advance for any and all info you care to share.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc

Colin McFadden
March 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Our direct-sales license covers install on two machines - you can download the trial itself as many times as you'd like, and use the key you get during purchase to unlock them. Generally, we just don't want people to buy one copy to cover a whole facility - similar to the Apple rules on this (for the sake of completeness, I've pasted the Mac App Store terms below).

-Colin

---

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and use an application from the Mac App Store (“Mac App Store Product”) for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.