View Full Version : Tapeless Solution for XL2

Bill Hall
February 26th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I'm looking to find a good tapeless recording solution for my Canon XL2. So far I've tried several different things, but have been disappointed. I've tried the Datavideo DN60 recorder, but it wouldn't record to the device when the camera's record button was triggered (even with DV Control turned on). I've also tried using a S-video to HDMI adapter with the Atomos Ninja, but the results weren't what I had hoped for and it wasn't very portable. At this point I think I have narrowed it down to either the FS-CFpro recorder or the Sony MRC1K. Has anyone used either of these or have any other recommendations for a good tapeless solution? I'd really prefer not having to trigger record separately on the camera and then the device.

Thanks,
Bill

Don Palomaki
February 26th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Did the DN-60 have the latest firmware? I've read that can make a difference, with early firmware being problematic.

Did you have a tape in the camcorder when you tried to use the DN-60 (maybe required to operate the DN-60 with the camcorders pause button)?

Tom Mussatto
February 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I can't speak specifically to the XL2 but with a DVX100B and DVC30 the MRC1K works great. No tape needed in cam (although you can record simultaneously to both CF card and tape if you wish) and the start/stop on cam operates the unit. The only thing it doesn't do is use power from the cam so you need a battery on the unit.

Bill Hall
February 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the response. Yes, I did have the latest firmware on the DN60. I spent a good 20 minutes with a customer service rep, who couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work and I did have a tape in the camera as well. The MRC1K does seem to be a good solution, but is it camera mountable or does it need a special plate? Also, does it come with a battery or does that need to be purchased separately?

Tom Mussatto
February 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM
The Sony unit comes with the mounting bracket which fits in the cold shoe on cam, and the HDMI cable to connect unit to cam. You would need to get a battery (and charger) for the unit as it doesn't draw power from the cam.