View Full Version : Alternative to JVC DR-HD100

Evan Platt
February 26th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Hi All,

I have a recently acquired JVC GY-HD110 and I'm looking to record to disk / other media. I'm pretty new to video (been shooting stills for a while). Do I have to get a GY-HD110, or is there a more 'generic' thing I can look for for a solution on ebay, ie "DVI storage device"?

Any input / help appreciated.

Thanks!

Evan Platt
July 11th, 2013, 01:35 PM
bumpity bump.. Anyone?

Don Bloom
July 11th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Check out Firestore. Most of the guys I know that used this camera back when, used a Firestore in lieu of tape.

Evan Platt
July 11th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks. I do actually have a Firestore (not sure the model #), but it's got a 80gb drive. Replaced it with a SSD Drive. My main complaint is it still takes 15+ seconds to power up. And, there's no like 'communication' with the camera - unless I don't have something set right, when I hit record (I'm going tapeless), I just get I think "SYNC" on the screen. The problem is it doesn't show "Start" or "Stop" or "RECORDING". So what happens is too often I'll accidentally be recording when I don't think I am, or not recording when I think I am. I have to look on the recorder to see if it's recording or paused. :(

Don Bloom
July 11th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Can't help you with that. I've used the 110 but never owned one. I do own an HM700 but of course that doesn't help. I know a lot of the guys that had and used the 110 used the FS so maybe check the section here that had the posts for the HD100/110. You might need to go to the archives but Im sure I read some threads about setting up the FS on the 100/110.

Jerry Porter
July 11th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I had one, used it for years and loved it. TOTAL light pig though.... You wold have to throw 2k of light at almost everything to even see it through that camera. The biggest problem with them is if you looked at the fire wire port wrong you would blow it out and it cost more to fix than it was worth 5 years ago. I wouldn't spend any money going this route. Buy a used EX1 and be done. WAAAAYYYY better from every aspect. Great, ground breaking camera in its day. Not worth the trouble these days.

Evan Platt
July 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I had one, used it for years and loved it. TOTAL light pig though.... You wold have to throw 2k of light at almost everything to even see it through that camera. The biggest problem with them is if you looked at the fire wire port wrong you would blow it out and it cost more to fix than it was worth 5 years ago. I wouldn't spend any money going this route. Buy a used EX1 and be done. WAAAAYYYY better from every aspect. Great, ground breaking camera in its day. Not worth the trouble these days.

The EX1 looks sweet, but way out of my price ranger. :)

Jerry Porter
July 12th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Then my first and MOST important advice I can give you is DO NOT plug anything into that firewire port that is powered on. Make sure the camera and the computer and or recording device is powered completely off or you will blow the port.

Evan Platt
July 12th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Then my first and MOST important advice I can give you is DO NOT plug anything into that firewire port that is powered on. Make sure the camera and the computer and or recording device is powered completely off or you will blow the port.

Ahh yes. The person I bought the camera from actually has a - umm.. "Safe" firewire port"? It's a cable the runs under the camera, and I guess doesn't apply the voltage or something? I forgot the explanation, but I was told to never use the plug on the camera, always use this plug, and yes, still follow the never unplug / plug when camera is on.