View Full Version : Air Travel - Carry On Luggage FS 700

T.G. Lawrence
March 5th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Hi All,

Travelling by air kit is always a hassle. What is the foolproof solution to getting your FS700 kit on the plane in the most secure and compact way?

I'm in need of a carry-on luggage solution for the FS 700, Mov Cam VCT 14 & 5 lenses, Alphatron, 8 batts & charger.

I've looked at:

Think Tank - Airport International V 2.0 Rolling Camera Bag - the Airport Security version is just too big. The International is a solid bag and offers firm protection when closed. The top handle would have to come off the MovCam to fit this bag - likely compromise for the space savings. Internal space is sacrificed to the trolley. Light for the size. It's size guarantees it as carry-on. Give and take is it's average piece of luggage look doesn't set it apart as a camera bag - useful when arguing for exceptional circumstances with a flight attendant. That said, some might consider it's 'any old bag-ness' a security asset. The whole point of carry-on is to never let it out of your sight so to me this feature hurts this bag.

-Kata - 2 bag from Kata seem to work:

First - the Resource-61 PL Resource-61 | Kata Bags (http://tinyurl.com/aepuoxw) - dedicated lens compartment, loose fitting camera compartment. Light weight. But is 3 cm too wide by carry-on dimensions. Probably could get away with it but why put it to risk?

The CC-192 - loose fitting but fairly rigid construction - inserts would need to be added to accommodate lenses, EVF, batts, etc. Very lightweight. Meets carry-on dimensions.
CC-192 PL | Kata Bags (http://tinyurl.com/a9p4r2q)

-Bold (designed for the Epic) - haven't seen one in person so I can't say.
Bold Bag - Camera Bag (http://tinyurl.com/bkkxuuo)

-Cinebags - All too big for carry-on.

-Petrol - Deca Dr. Bag - Large - haven't seen this one in person. Petrol Bags Deca Dr. Bag (Large) - Shoulder Bags (http://tinyurl.com/ako4ahz)

What's worked for you?

Thanks in advance for you input.

Tim Dashwood
March 6th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I use the CC-192 for travel but it isn't ideal for a bunch of lenses. You have to remove the handle too.

Dave Sperling
March 6th, 2013, 07:46 AM
I'm very happy with the Kata Fly-By 76. For me, having the trolley as an external removable piece is a big plus:
1 - There are no 'ribs' inside the case so the interior is uniformly soft and flat and I don't lose the extra space that the ribs take up. It's large enough that occasionally I'll pack both an F3 and an EX1 with some cards, batteries and Nikon zooms all in the same case when traveling solo.
2 - The case itself fits fine in an overhead - with the trolley wheels removed. After doing it a few times, it's like second nature when I get to my seat - it only takes a couple of seconds to remove or replace the little cart.

Note: I was recently on a trip (with 2 - FS700s) where we had both a fly-by 76 and a fly-by 77. The 77 did not fit nicely the long way in one of the airplanes overheads - and had to be turned - because of the extra 1/2" of size from its wheels (which aren't removable). So between the two I'd recommend the 76.

Shaun Roemich
March 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I have ALWAYS used approved carry-on regular old luggage to transport gear. All the essentials go in my carry on and I pack my spare undies, t-shirt et al around them for protection as well as to ensure that if I get waylaid, I have a change of clothes...

The nature of "carry-on backpacks" and such usually means a form factor that can be subject to scrutiny by airline officials and when in doubt, they'll normally "demand" a bag be checked. Because I have the luggage in my possession at all times, I'm not as worried about the additional protection offered by camera bags.

My 2 cents.

T.G. Lawrence
March 6th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks Dave. As it turns out the Fly-by 76 has been discontinued and is being replaced by the Fly-by 77 and a smaller version the Fly-by 75 which incorporate the trolley - a space sacrifice. They don't arrive in Canada here until April. If you have a 76 consider yourself fortunate.

Paul Wood
March 6th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I use the Airport Acceleration 2 for my FS100, selection of lenses and audio kit - it does not suffer from the lack of internal space as its wheeled cousin (which also use), and offers semi hard protection, as well as a useful laptop pouch, which can be taken out to allow the case to fit in smaller airline baggage compartments - I've flown long haul and domestic, even stowing in ATR regional turboprops, and had no problems - it has useful stow away back pack straps, which make it go from a normal shoulder bag to a back pack.

Its normal look I think is an advantage, as it blends in well with other luggage.

T.G. Lawrence
April 9th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Update. I went with the AIrport International V2.0. The trolly was a must and the International was the Think Tank with the most depth. Impressively the bag with all of the essentials for the shoot:

FS700 + MovCam VCT14 cage minus top handle (checked)
FS700 Grip
Shotgun + mount
5DMKIII
Alphatron
Tokina 11-16
Zeiss 35
Zeiss 85
Zeiss 180
Nikon 50
Metabones V2
4 x LPE6
5 x NPF970
3 x NPF770
2 x NPF570
2 x Canon Chargers
2 x Sony Chargers
AC adapter
Cables
Rain Cover
Media

Regional jets are a major issue not matter what you are carrying on. The bag fit under the seat but overflows slightly into your neighbour's. If you don't have a sympathetic neighbour you're in trouble.

I highly recommend the Think Tank International V2.0.

Nate Haustein
April 9th, 2013, 10:48 PM
The last couple of times I've traveled I've used the Pelican 1510 rolling case and a small backpack. It's supposed to be carry on approved, (and by size it is) but if someone demands it gets checked, I'm worry free versus a soft bag about needing to throw it under the plane - literally.

It might scream "steal me," but for a carry on that doesn't leave your hand, I don't mind too much. Plus, any of the bigger pelicans that go through checked baggage are too darn heavy for anyone to take!! I wouldn't want a non-rolling bag. Traveling is tiring enough.

Brett Sherman
April 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I fly almost weekly with a C300, so having a bag that I don't need to repack is critical for me. I have the older version of the Petrol Large Dr. Bag with a cart. It works perfectly for me. I fly a lot of Canada Air Regional Jets where many of these bags would not make it in the overhead. So if it doesn't go under the seat I don't want it. Contrary to what virtually every flight attendant thinks, my bag has made it under every seat I've attempted it with once I take the cart off. The most difficult dimension for under the seat is height. 10 inches is about the limit.