View Full Version : HDS2 disk space requirements in ProRes HQ

Peter Adler
March 7th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first question to this forum and probably a very basic one at that, so please bear with me. I have tried to Google the question but found no real answer...

I am starting up a documentary project and I have to stress that I don't have a lot of experience in filmmaking. I own a Canon XH G1s camcorder. I have bought the HDS2 (and a OCZ 240GB Vertex 3 SSD) and am hoping to use it with the camera's SDI output to shoot in Apple ProRes.

The problem is that the footage seems huge to me. I shot a test clip (25F setting on the cam) of 40 seconds and ended up with a file of 1.03GB! Online video size calculators report that 1 hour in 25fps PAL should be about 25-26GB in size, so my impression is that my clip is about 3.5x too big. Which mistake am I making?

The clip's properties show that it is in fact ProRes HQ, which is also how I set up the HDS2 (using the Utility for Mac v. 3.7).

I have one other question, secondary however: does anybody know of a case which could be used to attach the HDS2 to, say a tripod leg? I don't have the mounting plate, because I am not sure it can be used for this...

Thanks in advance!

Peter Adler
March 7th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I think I made the mistake of using the wrong resolution as basis for the size calculation. At 1920x1080, I get about 900MB for 40 seconds of footage. Much closer to what I have.

My apologies!

I would still be interested to know if anyone has found a good solution to attaching the HDS2 to a tripod leg...

Thanks!

Andreas Andreou
March 7th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hi Peter
I recently did a test setting up the HDS2 with the Avid DNxHD codec running off an F3
I got a continuous recording time of 2hrs 46mins and a whopping 253gb file.
By my calculations thats about 1.5Gb per minute.
Not sure how that would equate with the Prores QT codec though.

Hope that helps
Andreas

VideoDance - video design, production and editing company based in london (http://www.videodance.eu)

Peter Adler
March 7th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Hey Andreas, thank you very much. I also get exactly 1.5GB per minute in ProRes 422 (HQ).