View Full Version : Future of 3D / Stereoscopic

Tony Reidsma
March 25th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Sorry for the vague headline....

I just wrapped up a HUGE tradeshow for a client for which I created Three 8-minute long 3D product videos.

The end result; visitors entered a theater which seated 12-15 people, and then watched videos on an LG passive TV. We played the videos via an iPad hooked up to a receiver, which then went to the TV. For audio we had the iPad hooked up directly to some Klipsch computer speakers / sub woofer. I'm telling you, this theater was the hit of the show. The visual quality was amazing, and the audio was wall rattling... and my client was more than happy!

I'm producing more videos for other products, and will continue throughout the year.

My goal is to produce more 3D videos for other clients, but haven't had time to put together a marketing plan for this.

MY MAIN QUESTION:
1: What is the future of 3D / Stereoscopic as it relates to commercial work?
2: What are the options for viewing / presenting at trade shows?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Tony

Roger Gunkel
March 25th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Hi Tony, as someone who regularly displays 3d video, I am curious as to how you were able to show 3d video from an iPad. Also having an ipad, it would make displays a lot easier if you could share your method of doing this.

Regarding the future of s3d, I have noticed a sharp decline in serious interest in all things 3d in the UK over the last few months. I think this downturn will probably continue until wide view angle, glasses free tv technology becomes both affordable and well supported. I can't see that happening for a few more years, although I will carry on offering a 3d service as part of my business as it has been an interest for a long time.

Roger

Tony Reidsma
March 26th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I played the videos on the iPad in top/bottom. The iPad was connected to a receiver via HDMI, and the receiver was needed to fix the voice to video sync issue.

I'd still like to hear what others think of s3D for commercial use (IE: business use). I think it's got a perception of being a toy, and people dismiss it without knowing how it can be used for marketing.

Wolfgang Schmid
March 26th, 2013, 10:06 AM
My goal is to produce more 3D videos for other clients, but haven't had time to put together a marketing plan for this.

MY MAIN QUESTION:
1: What is the future of 3D / Stereoscopic as it relates to commercial work?
2: What are the options for viewing / presenting at trade shows?

I think it is hard to develop a marketing plan or business plan for that. To my opinion, the demand for s3D productions has declined with the end of the s3D Hype, and there will be a limited market for s3D only - to my opinion. I do not assume that s3D will go away again as we had it with the end of the Fiftith, but I would be very very carefull if you plan significant investment in the technology and must earn your living from it.

Giroud Francois
March 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
s3D wins a big step by being recognized as a common "format" as much as HD.
Now you can find a TV set, a projector, a blu-ray reader with 3D feature without asking for.
4K will only improve the possibility of using it (like no glass screen), so if futur is not bright, it is at least existing.
The good news too is you can easily shoot s3D and still produce good old flat DVD by just flipping a switch. in 10 years, your s3D movies will look like gold.

Tony Reidsma
March 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Wofgang, I agree in that I doubt I'll develop a business plan to make a living by shooting s3D video for businesses. I have one client who asked for a handful of s3D videos, which pretty much paid for all my equipment, and now I have it sitting here doing nothing.

I'm trying to figure out the potential of what it can do in terms of cash flow on top of what I'm doing.

Love the feedback... keep it coming.

Tony

Jesse Blanchard
March 26th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I think tradeshows and other captured audience environments are going to continue to push 3D. For instance, little screens on the back of plane headrests, coke machines, and other retail environments. Not to mention the theaters themselves. They already play 3D commercials infront of movies.

Allan Black
March 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Over the years my company was involved doing Aust. Expo pavilion displays in various countries.
Due to time, workload etc, the only one I got to was in Brisbane here.

But we did get to Expo 2010 in Shanghai for 4 days to find the Chinese spent 25 billion on the thing, building an underground railway line to get there.

Amazing displays and one that drew huge crowds was the German Siemans glasses free 3D demo. It was a big prototype set in their pavilion,
showing their custom produced 3D shows, looped for the passing queue. The line went around the block, so on the 3rd day we got there very early
and it was good, but to far off centre you lost the effect.

Since then I've followed 3D developments, and I think that 'great' GFree 3D sets will arrive in due course.
Fox cable here now has a dedicated 3D channel and 3D sports are regularly shown.

Foxtel 3D, What's On - Foxtel provided by AUSTAR (http://www.austar.com.au/tv/whats-on/foxtel-3d-channel.aspx)

A sony rep has been quoted as saying that 'eventually all consumer TV sets will be glasses free 3D, to rationalise set production'

Imo movie producers are still learning how to incorporate 3D effects effectively, eg: when stereo LPs first arrived, everything was hard left and right,
with no effective sound stage.

Imo to get involved with 3D production now is a good move, you'll be ahead of the pack.
Just to offer 3D on your rate card will be good, but you've got to be cleverer than the other guy.

Tony, keep working on ideas, practise by making make better and better demos :)

Cheers.

Roger Gunkel
March 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I totally agree with staying ahead of the pack by being fully conversant with filming and editing in 3d and the techniques involved.

I think that there is probably a market for special interest 3d and I am looking at the possiblities of short tourist videos, castles, museums, etc. Delivery I am considering on various formats, but including anaglyph and sbs/overunder to give he most flexibility. As I also do 3d photography, there could be an opening for a joint package with lenticular prints and video.

Roger

Allan Black
April 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Roger, yep, the Glasses Free 3D screen advertising possibilities in bus, train and airport waiting lounges, as well as museums etc will be tremendous.

Now James Cameron, Philips, Dolby and the Pace Group all agree with us .. so don't delay, start with the ideas now :)

Momentum: James Cameron announces Glasses-Free 3D (http://www.alexandrosmaragos.com/2013/04/james-cameron-on-glasses-free-3d.html)

Cheers.

Roger Gunkel
April 11th, 2013, 06:45 AM
An interesting article Allan, although it all comes down to whether the glasses free screen is actually 'sweet spot free' as the article says, or whether it will be a case of 'yeah but, oh but' etc.

We shall see!

Pavel Houda
April 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM
The HP glasses free multiview technology is not at any show yet, but it shows great promise. Hologram like, not looking through a window. One technology breakthrough allowing comfortable glass-free multiview, and all the "3D is dead" people will become "3D Pioneers" again. Y'all, don't give up. http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/31969-hp-labs-create-multiview-gl ; http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v495/n7441/extref/nature11972-s1.pdf
Also http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Innovation-HP-Labs/On-Our-Way-to-Glasses-Free-3D/ba-p/134391
and here: http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Innovation-HP-Labs/Glasses-free-3D-display-a-new-invention-from-HP-Labs/ba-p/116813

Allan Black
April 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Yep guys, great GF 3D screens are coming, and the point I was making is, we should be studying how to make good programs for it.

Everyone will get on the bandwaggon and the idea is to build a good reputation for making program. To get a contract to make 3D shows
for MacDonalds outlets, so customers can watch while they wait for their Big Macs. Imagine that x 100,000 copies, you'll be up all night :)

James Cameron obviously looked at the royalties Dolbys pulled in since the year dot.
Even if he made an Avatar type 3D movie every 6 months for the next 50 years, he'd never match that.

And I think this will be a good boost for consumer surround sound. The Hi-Fi chains can package GF 3D TV sets with surround speaker rigs.
I'll work on that when I get a minute :)

Cheers.

Allan Black
June 3rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
Check this out ..

Writer's Group Film Corp. Announces Projected Revenues For Acquired Family Product - BroadcastNewsroom (http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/article/Writers-Group-Film-Corp-Announces-Projected-Revenues-For-Acquired-Family-Product-2633646)

'From all corners of the globe, the appeal of 3D has become undeniable. From 2008 to 2010, Hollywood 3D releases jumped from 2 to 22,
and more than 30 major 3D releases are expected in 2011. Last year, the extra revenue from the 22 3D movies offset a 5.2% attendance drop.
Overseas, where 3D is wildly popular, the six major studios collected $12.7 billion in grosses, a 20% leaped compared to 2009.
Business was good across the board for studio titles, but it was 3D fare that provided an extra kick.
3D is here to stay'

Front Row Networks - About Us (http://www.frnetworks.com/page/about-us-)

Cheers.

Pavel Houda
June 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
NHK is usually (way too) ahead of current technologies. I am still high on multi-view: Multi-viewpoint robotic camera system creates real 'bullet time' slow motion replays #DigInfo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmHFb4rd6U&feature=youtu.be) .

Giroud Francois
June 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM
3d has a future, stereoscopic less.
Because glass-free technology requires more than stereo (2) views.
most current screens require at les 7-9 views and probably more (12-15) later.
Currently these additional views are interpolated from stereoscopic, but it is like 2d-3d conversion.
Some says it is a shame , some says it works ine if it is done correctly.

Allan Black
June 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for that Pavel .. phewww! :0

Cheers.

Allan Black
June 28th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Variety says ...

3D Dead? Don’t Count Out Technology Yet, Chance for Revival | Variety (http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/3d-dead-dont-count-it-out-just-yet-1200502693/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weeklyonline)

Cheers.

Matt Sharp
July 1st, 2013, 03:17 PM
I think I'm the opposite of most people in that I love 3D and I especially love the pop-out style that theme parks and IMAX nature films use. That being said, I'm disappointed that 3D movies don't have any pop-out. Just having some depth doesn't really do it for me when I'm sitting 50 feet from the screen.

The movie that I liked the 3D the most was actually a converted 2D to 3D movie ("Gravity", comes out this fall). Being that it's in space, the foreground is right at the camera and the background is off in the distance. the 3D conversion was done really well, I thought it was shot in 3D but learned later it wasn't.

I agree with the Variety article Allan posted. I skipped over active 3D and went with a passive LG set. It's great as long as you don't sit within 6 feet or so. The glasses are cheap, and extra realD glasses from watching movies in the theatre work with it too.