View Full Version : New aspect ratio announcement...

Peer Landa
April 1st, 2013, 07:09 PM
Apparently, at NAB there will be an announcement for a new aspect ratio:

Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA - YouTube

-- peer

Chris Luker
April 1st, 2013, 11:13 PM
Like it!
Must share to all of my Facebook friends - this is rampant among them!

Don Bloom
April 2nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
yeah, just did the same. My son is a big offender. Every video he does of his youngest daughter (she's 4 and a real character with all kinds of personality) I yell at him about the dreaded VERTICAL VIDEO!!!!! Maybe this will set him on the right path! ;-)

Brian Drysdale
April 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
It's becoming increasingly common in programmes that use a lot of material shot by the public on phones.

Just looking at some early Orson Welles films on BBC2 again, they make great use of framing the verticals and having characters on different levels with the 4 x 3 aspect ratio.

Shaun Roemich
April 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE This!

Brilliant and so true.

Now I wait for the Artist Backlash...

Brian Drysdale
April 2nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
The vertical video only really works as part of a wider format, which allows dynamic use of the vertical panels. As a stand alone format it's pretty limited, although there always exceptions that work on their own terms, but in the end the world is mostly horizontal err... landscape.

Guy Caplin
April 6th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. The original Baird television format was vertical. In the early nineteen thirties they transmitted plays, light entertainement and horse races in this format.
The Man With The Flower in His Mouth - YouTube

Sareesh Sudhakaran
April 7th, 2013, 06:24 AM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. The original Baird television format was vertical. In the early nineteen thirties they transmitted plays, light entertainement and horse races in this format.
The Man With The Flower in His Mouth - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJoYskwKxsM)

Brilliant writing and acting...thanks for sharing!

I wonder why they had to use the checkerboard pattern - was it all shot in one take?