View Full Version : Importing Gopro 50P material into Avid Media composer

Vegard Paulsen
April 2nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Hi. I want to import my 50 frames pr second gopro 1080 h264 files into Avid Media Composer V6.01 and slow them down to 25p.

The problem is that Avid has a way of enterpreting weird framerates and will only play them back 25p.
It droppes all the extra frames, and that is fine if you want to play back the video normal speed in the 25p project. What i want to do is slow it down 50% so i can take advantage of the 25 extra frames pr second and get proper slow motion in Media Composer. Avid experts tells me that can¨t be done.

Do you guys have a proper workaround for this without transcoding the files and loosing a generation of quality? Changing the metadata or something?

Jody Arnott
April 8th, 2013, 10:54 PM
When I have 50p material in a 25p project, I just import the clips via AMA. Avid will place a motion adapter on the media so it matches the project frame rate.

Then if I want to slow down any of the 50p media, place the position indicator over the clip, open the motion effects window, click 'promote', then you can apply a timewarp effect using the graph and slow it down to 100%.

This method gives me silky smooth slow motion once I've rendered the clip.

I'm guessing that where you're having issues is importing the 50p media (not using AMA) into a 25p project will drop the extra frames. If you don't want to use AMA, just import the 50p media into a 50p shared project, then open that bin from within your 25p project. The motion adapters should then be automatically applied, and you just need to promote the clips as I explained.

Ugo Merlini
August 9th, 2013, 12:21 AM
When I have 50p material in a 25p project, I just import the clips via AMA. Avid will place a motion adapter on the media so it matches the project frame rate.

Then if I want to slow down any of the 50p media, place the position indicator over the clip, open the motion effects window, click 'promote', then you can apply a timewarp effect using the graph and slow it down to 100%.

This method gives me silky smooth slow motion once I've rendered the clip.

I'm guessing that where you're having issues is importing the 50p media (not using AMA) into a 25p project will drop the extra frames. If you don't want to use AMA, just import the 50p media into a 50p shared project, then open that bin from within your 25p project. The motion adapters should then be automatically applied, and you just need to promote the clips as I explained.

Hi

nice tips I'm starting to deal with 1080/50P media and having some concern with Avid Media Composer.

Thanks!!!

Ugo