View Full Version : MiniDV tapes?

Lisa Bennett
April 11th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I have the JVC GY-HD100U and I used to be able to get tapes in my area. Anyone have suggestions as to the best place to get tapes for this camera? Which brand do you prefer?

Thank you.

Rob Morse
April 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM
B&H Photo. I've always used Panasonic DV63PQ. I can count the dropouts on 1 hand. In my experience, I don't see the added benefit of the HDV tapes.

Chip Gallo
April 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I too use the Panasonic tapes, sourced from LA Color Online.

L.A. Color Online | Online Photo/Video Gear Shop (http://lacoloronline.com)

Don Bloom
April 11th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I used the Panny PQ63s for many years and never ever had a problem. Got them from tape resources dot com. Actually I still have 12 that are wrapped and 4 that are unwrapped but never used. Looking to off load them. If you're interested PM me, I'll give you a good deal. ;-)

Kennedy Maxwell
April 13th, 2013, 07:28 AM
If you're stuck, WalMart carries, in stock, Sony brand mini-DVs that work just fine in my HD100 & HD200.

Allan Barnwell
April 13th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Depends which tapes you have used already. Don't switch between brands a lot. Use SONY always or SONY NEVER. Sony has a different formulation than all the other tapes. This said the best results with this camera have come from never using SONY tapes.

Kennedy Maxwell
April 13th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I said "if stuck". However, we have purchased and used several hundred mini-tapes (JVC, Panasonic, Fuji, Sony) with an HD100, HD200 and GY-HD50 deck and never had a single head clog or dropout. (90% HD) We clean our heads periodically and keep the equipment clean and protected. I agree that one should stick with one brand, but we all run into an emergency situation and if you need a mini tape quickly it is nice to know that Walmart does have a standard Sony tape close by.

Shaun Roemich
April 13th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Placing a Sony tape in either of my HD200UBs means a near instant serious head clog after their lives of using JVC tapes.

I would use ANY other 6mm tape prior to Sony.

Colin McDonald
April 14th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Not as off topic as it appears, but has anyone in Australia, NZ or anywhere else used Expandore* - Professional Audio | Video | Lighting Equipment Supplier (http://www.expandore.com) in Singapore for mail order? They still seem to have the JVC M-DV63PROHD tapes available.

Rob Stowell
May 26th, 2013, 09:04 PM
No. but in NZ I've bought a lot of panasonic tapes from globalmediapro. Free shipping in NZ and arrive really fast. (Not great to deal with if something goes wrong, but that's another story!)

Robert Adams
May 29th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Cheeky, I know; but I'm selling 22 brand new, unwrapped JVC M-DV63PROHD tapes on ebay... having just sold my old GY-HD111, the tapes are surplus to requirements. I've flagged them up on the "F.A on Ebay" thread.

All the best

Rob

Lisa Bennett
May 13th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I am so late replying. I have been working on projects and just didn't get back her to answer. So sorry.

I do appreciate the replies. I have used some of the Sony's from Walmart before so I can understand needing those in a pinch and they worked good.

I may have used Panasonics when I first got the camera. I have not been using the camera much because my other projects didn't involve me shooting. But now, I need to get the camera ready to go again for a shoot I have coming up.

Thanks for the info on the 63's. I will look into that brand.