View Full Version : PANASONIC AG-HMC71E - bnc help please

Ray Kelly
April 26th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Hi all

I bought a Panasonic AG-HMC71E video camera a few weeks back, it has been brilliant, but there is a few questions im needing to know if thats ok.

I run a website which specializes in football streaming (legal) my question is this, what cables would I need, in order for me to film the football games and stream it live to the internet, the camera has a usb 2.0 port, but when i connect it to the pc, ustream wont recognize the camera, I have noticed that the camera has a BNC video output bit on the back - I have looked on ebay and they have a bnc to usb cable - would that allow me to stream straight to ustream or veetle.

Heres the ebay cable - Composite BNC S-Video Audio To USB Converter | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Composite-BNC-S-Video-Audio-To-USB-Converter-/230523534508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ac45fcac)

Any help is appreciated, I have asked and asked, but no one will help me

Take good care and thanks in advance

Chris Hurd
April 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
That's a very good question, Ray -- hopefully somebody who knows for sure will answer, but I guess the other question is, are you willing to spend 18 pounds to find out? If so, please report back and tell us if it works!

Shaun Roemich
April 26th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Ray: it doesn't look promising as the device appears to be specifically designed to work with their DVR software. I doubt it would have the correct drivers to be "seen" by the system as a video input device.

But I have been wrong before...

Ray Kelly
April 26th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hi all

I was hoping that cable would have worked :-( I have not bought it, but that seemed the only bnc to usb cable they have.

I was hoping to live stream the football games and charge a subscription service, the camera seems brilliant, but the lack of functionality regarding being recognized through ustream or veetle or justin.tv

Does anyone know of a way around this problem, I have messaged other companys who offer that service, but they are being tight lipped about it, as if its some sort of secret :-/

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated

Chris Hurd
April 26th, 2013, 06:02 PM
What you need Ray is a capture card for your computer (is this for a laptop or a desktop?), one with a BNC video input. Do you need to take audio from the camera as well? There are capture cards that a have a whole array of audio & video inputs -- I'll let our experienced members recommend a specific one.

Mark Watson
April 27th, 2013, 04:10 AM
I don't know what you need to stream your video, but to get it into the computer, you should be able to use any of the various devices which will accept a video component input and covert it to a USB output.

You can still use the BNC video jack for the video souce. You can put a BNC-to-RCA adapter (see picture) on the camera's BNC jack and then use a RCA cable to connect the cam to the converter. For best video signal quality, I would recommend you use some SDI-type cable with BNC connectors and connect directly to your camera and then use an appropriate gender BNC-to-RCA adapter to connect to the converter.

Since the BNC jack only outputs video, you'll need to use a separate cable/cables to connect the audio to the converter.

The only difference between component video coming out of a BNC jack and one from a RCA plug is the connector. The signal on both is 1 V p-p/75 ohm, unbalanced.

Some converters that work with laptops: usb video - Free Shipping - DX (http://dx.com/s/usb+video)

Info on video component plugs: http://www.pimfg.com/ifaq/faq_av.htm