View Full Version : shooting at the sun

Steven Jonze
September 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM
What is the ideal (not to mention safe) shutter speed for filming the sun?

Stephanie Wilson
September 24th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Hey Steven,

Gone are the days when you had to worry about burning orbs in your camera tubes while shooting the sun. I've personally never used shutter when shooting the sun. And I "think" the mechanics of the viewfinder will protect your eyes...Is there a doctor/videographer on board?

But if you're still concerned, lock down the shot and stop looking through the V.F. or if your trying to follow a rising/setting sun you may want to set up a monitor and do your tilting using that image.

Good luck,

Steph

Steven Jonze
September 24th, 2005, 07:53 PM
The booklet for my camcorder says its bad for the camera if you shoot at 1/1000 or higher.

Boyd Ostroff
September 24th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I don't think you need to worry about your eyes if you're only looking into the viewfinder. You will need to worry about burning your camera's CCD's however if the sun is bright. You'll want to buy some heavy neutral density filters for that, possibly several of them stacked together. You can then adjust shutter speed as needed if you can't get proper exposure using the iris control.

I've filmed a lot of sunsets without problem, but have used multiple ND filters as protection. But just realize, you run a very real risk of damaging your camera when doing this sort of thing, especially if the sun is still high in the sky.

Stephanie Wilson
September 24th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I don't think you need to worry about your eyes if you're only looking into the viewfinder. You will need to worry about burning your camera's CCD's however if the sun is bright. You'll want to buy some heavy neutral density filters for that, possibly several of them stacked together. You can then adjust shutter speed as needed if you can't get proper exposure using the iris control.

I've filmed a lot of sunsets without problem, but have used multiple ND filters as protection. But just realize, you run a very real risk of damaging your camera when doing this sort of thing, especially if the sun is still high in the sky.

Hello Boyd,

Man, I am quickly and painfully (to the ego), learning that my years of experience haven't really taught me s--t. At least regarding the intelligence and experience on this board...

If you have a moment please explain why the CCD elements of our cameras could be damaged by the sun. Also do ND filters affect preset color temps?

Thanks for your reply,

Steph

Doug Boze
September 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM
my years of experience haven't really taught me s--t... please explain why the CCD elements of our cameras could be damaged by the sun. Also do ND filters affect preset color temps?

Well, 1. You are focusing the SUN onto the CCDs (have you never fried ants with a magnifying glass?); 2. Sunlight is very strong in the infrared, to which CCDs are very senstive; 3. Neutral density filters are so named because they do not affect color.

Have you ever seen the inside of a viewfinder that has been carelessly aimed at the sun? Not a pretty sight...

Boyd Ostroff
September 25th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Yep, Doug's right. My personal rule of thumb is that if the sun is too bright to look at with your naked eye then it's also too bright to point an unfiltered camera at.

I haven't had any problems, but have read about them. And as Doug says, a number of people have damaged their viewfinders by leaving the camera in a position that the sun shone through the eyepiece and fried the LCD or CRT inside.

Also I've read several posts of people with damaged CCD's from lasers shining directly into the lens at a concert. Careful what you point that thing at!

Christopher Lefchik
September 25th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Back when I had my first camcorder, a Sony Hi8, I used to film scenes with the sun - including zooming into the sun - without problems (though none of the shots was held for a very long time). Until, that is, I videotaped an eclipse once. The sun was high in the sky, and I had the camera locked down on a tripod and zoomed in. No ND filter. Sure enough, the CCD was damaged, with a round, fog-like circle showing up on subsequent footage.

Ever since then I've avoided shooting scenes with more than a passing glimpse of the sun, especially with my VX2000. If I do shoot any footage in the future with extended sun exposure I will be sure to use ND filters, and probably throw on my polarizer for good measure. Still, after getting burned once, I'm wary of shooting such scenes.

Steven Jonze
September 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Can I have the full name of the filters I should use and the recommened shutter speed?

Pete Bauer
September 27th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Here's a similar thread from a few months ago:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=46577&highlight=sun

In short, you won't hurt your eyes by looking at a DISPLAY (CCD or CRT) of the sun or other bright source, but could be permanently blinded in a flash if you look at the sun directly or through any direct-view lens system, including direct viewfinders.

In line with the comments from the other gents here, camera manufacturers generally caution against pointing the camera directly at the sun or other very bright objects. Obviously, people get great shots of the sun but it needs to be done very wisely to protect both your equipment and your eyes.

Lorinda Norton
September 27th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I agree with Pete and all the others giving caution. A couple weeks ago I shot the sun high in the sky with nothing but the ND filter on the XL1s. I was really nervous about it and never let the camera rest--just did a slow pan through.

I got away with it (slowed it down in post to make it stand still), but I could tell it wasn't a good idea looking at the sun through the viewfinder.

Sunsets/sunrises are a different matter, but even then I think people need to be careful. I only shoot those if there are natural "filters," such as dust in the air and clouds.

Jim Kavitsky
September 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Check out this company:

http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com

They make extremely well regarded solar filters for telescopes, cameras, and video equipment. I have a pair of their filters for my Fujinon 10X70 binoculars. Their filters are very color-neutral, and will not impart any distortion to the image.

-jimk