View Full Version : The videographers sense for beer

Pages : [1] 2

Jos Svendsen
September 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I have observed that some threads in this forum have a tendency to sort of mutate into a discussion of beer quality - an in some cases also quantity.

If you also observe the member status of those who participiate in the discussion then it gets more interesting. And access to the forum logs would properly tell an even more interesting tale. I suspect that members in question will have a fondness for Area 51, and probably go there first when they visit this site.

This confirms a theory of mine:

A sense of good beer in an individual is a necessity in order to produce good video

However this introduces a mystery to me, as certain countries has big problems in beer quality. I mean - the original amber liquid is a Nordic invention, then the vatered down version filtered down to the germans/british, that exported the even more diluted stuff the rest of the world.

I mean, how can you keep up a productive environment if Miller or Budwiser is the main creative juices? Where do you keep the good stuff?

And more important - how would better beer quality improve your countrys video output?

Boyd Ostroff
September 25th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Wow, that's really deep Jos, nice job! I wonder if you could get some sort of grant to research the topic further. If so, then I'd like to offer my services as a consultant.

Personally my video quality would be considerably degraded if I had to drink Miller or Budweiser. But as far as the "which beer is best" question goes, well that's a religious discussion and we don't allow those here at DVinfo...

Jos Svendsen
September 25th, 2005, 06:33 AM
OOh

I am not into promotion of different beer brands. I mean - there is no discussion that the local brands here in Denmark are far superior .... So there is no discussion.

The issue is far more important.

Will improved beer quality raise the creative level in video?

I mean who have ever heard of somebody making a super production on eco green tea and salad?

There is plenty of examples of fantastic productions made with a steady intake of beer and BBQed porky bits in preproduktion.

Maybe we should stage an experiment.

Three crews - One on green tea/salad - One on std. grade us beer/pizza and one on high octane european beer/BBQ beef.

All crews get the same equipment and the same task.

Then the creative results are evaluated by an independant jury.

The biggest problem is probably getting a crew to do the tea/salad, and getting a sponsor for that crew.

Greg Boston
September 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
OOh

I am not into promotion of different beer brands. I mean - there is no discussion that the local brands here in Denmark are far superior .... So there is no discussion.

The issue is far more important.

Will improved beer quality raise the creative level in video?

I mean who have ever heard of somebody making a super profuction on eco Green tea and salad?

There is plenty of examples of fantastic productions made with a steady intake of beer and BBQed porky bits in preproduktion.

Maybe we should stage an experiment.

Three crews - One on Green tea/salad - One on std. grade us beer/pizza and one on high octane european beer/BBQ beef.

All crews get the same equipment and the same task.

Then the creative results are evaluated by an independant jury.

The biggest problem is probably getting a crew to do the tea/salad, and getting a sponsor for the crew.

Very interesting idea Jos. Maybe the next DV Challenge can be based on this theory. In fact, maybe you should poll the entrants of the most recent DV Challenge to find out what they consumed during the creative process to see if there is a connection.

-gb-

K. Forman
September 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I have a love for Tequilla, and have found that tequilla and video equals less than family quality movies... Now, where are my pants?

Dylan Couper
September 25th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure, I usualy drink Scotch.

Chris Hurd
September 25th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Say what, Dylan? I thought you swilled Vodka primarily.

(Excellent topic, Jos!)

Dylan Couper
September 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Say what, Dylan? I thought you swilled Vodka primarily.

I started a gradual transition this past winter, but it didn't come into full effect until this summer. I still enjoy vodka from time to time, but ultimately I enjoy Scotch more. Depends on the environment too though.

Marco Leavitt
September 25th, 2005, 07:12 PM
We're definitely part of the emerging new Scotch cinema movement as well. We're trying to bridge the divide between the rival single malt and blended schools.

Sean McHenry
September 25th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I know this won't count but I find myself strangely craving Bailieys Irish Creme, on the rocks, not diluted with what we americas have learned to call coffee. That's during the shooting/editing process as the sugar helps keep me going, the alcohol helps with editing decisions ("hell with it, just put a dissolve in there") and the creme, well, that helps with my calcium intake. I suppose Bailieys, and it's lesser known cousins are actually pretty well rounded production items.

For the more creative writing juices, I prefer (sorry, have to name names here), in no particular order, Red Stripe (when I'm feeling a bit ornery), Guiness (when pretending to be firts generation Irish, or just faking the accent), Fosters oil cans (thank you Monty Python).

The hard stuff pushes me past the ability to type too quickly. My head goes much faster than the fingers at that point and I forget what I am typing.

Sean McHenry

Michael Plunkett
September 25th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Wow, that's really deep Jos, nice job! I wonder if you could get some sort of grant to research the topic further. If so, then I'd like to offer my services as a consultant.

Personally my video quality would be considerably degraded if I had to drink Miller or Budweiser. But as far as the "which beer is best" question goes, well that's a religious discussion and we don't allow those here at DVinfo...

Boyd, that would be Cherry Hill's own world class award winning Flying Fish brew.

Daniel Runyon
October 9th, 2005, 12:59 AM
I find myself strangely craving Bailieys Irish Creme, on the rocks, not diluted with what we americas have learned to call coffee.

Strange that you mention this and I find it now, as at this moment I have on my desk a tall glass full of ice, with a huge bottle of Irish Cream and.......

see, you dont dilute it with coffee, as a matter of fact, you dont dilute it. You mix it with Coffee Liqueur....what I have here is Copa De Oro...it was $10 cheaper than Kahloah (or however spelled).

Whats strange about it to me is, I hardly ever drink at all...tonight, after almost a year of none, I felt the call and went and got. But Irish Cream and Coffee Liqueur do mean a lot to me. I once willingly missed my flight back to GA from Montana because the Bozeman Airport Bar's tender made the best I'd ever had and my now wife was footing the bill...watched my plane take off from the bar window.

As for better video??????? Don't know...but thank you for this thread, otherwise I would have just spent these wee hours (3am here) readin crap on the net and listening to Woody Guthrie....now I'm gonna get up and make some strange video.

Christopher C. Murphy
October 9th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Hot chicken wings with a good dark Microbrew beer post gig is the best. For any of you that shoot in winters...you know the deal!!

Sean McHenry
October 10th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Ah, for cold climates, I am fond of Hot Chocolate - the good stuff, dare I say , the real stuff, hot cocoa - and (drum roll please) Peppermint Schnapps. Do not laugh until you have tried it.

Keeps your toes just a bit warmer...

Sean

Nick Hiltgen
October 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Given that I actually have a film that people can see on-line right now I might be doing a diservice to the fine folks at budweiser, but I've found that a good night starts out with (sigh i can't believe I'm saying this) budE followed by bud select. I'm sure all of you real beer drinkers will laugh at that but for me it seems to be the perfect combination (there's a fine line between a healthy buzz and falling asleep before the creative juices keep stop flowing). Stay just awake enough and jsut sober enough to get through the editing and writing process.

Greg Boston
October 11th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hot chicken wings with a good dark Microbrew beer post gig is the best. For any of you that shoot in winters...you know the deal!!

Ahhh...Murph, you found my soft spot. I LOVE hot chicken wings. If they're on the menu and I haven't already tried them, I order them. Shiner Bock and wings. Oh man, I'm getting a craving just typing this.

-gb-

Chris Hurd
October 11th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Shiner Bock and wings? That's breakfast where I come from. Bring it on!

Greg Boston
October 12th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Shiner Bock and wings? That's breakfast where I come from. Bring it on!

Hehe, wanna do breakfast with me? I'm all in for that. I grow Habanero peppers and man, those suckers are mega-potent. The only thing hotter is the Red Savina and I haven't got any of those yet.

-gb-

Christopher C. Murphy
October 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Oh man, I'm getting cravings. I just emailed my girlfriend...we're going for hot wings and beer after work!

** Just a funny (quick) story.

I was on a shoot one time and there was a farm across the street. We went over and picked a few peppers from their garden. Yes, technically stole them!

Ok, so...we all get in the car and start eating them. In about 20 seconds...almost exactly at the same time we all went "uh oh....Uh Oh.....UH OH.....UUUHHH OOHHH!!!"

We all jumped out of the car and started running around the parking lot screaming like children. The peppers were SO hot...the hottest I've ever had in my life. (and I've had the hottest imaginable when I can get them)

So, we're freaking out like babies...and the guy who owns the farm comes around the corner with a garden hose. He says, "Did you learn your lessons boys?"

Oh man...does anyone even know why they were so damn hot? They were green...about 4-5 inches long and the seeds were just killer hot. This was in Mass., so I'm not sure if you Texan's would even know?

lol!

Marco Leavitt
October 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Sounds like a regular jalepeno to me. They can vary a lot, and I've had a couple that were just insanely hot, the kind that burn the outside of your lips.

Greg Boston
October 14th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Oh man, I'm getting cravings. I just emailed my girlfriend...we're going for hot wings and beer after work!

** Just a funny (quick) story.

I was on a shoot one time and there was a farm across the street. We went over and picked a few peppers from their garden. Yes, technically stole them!

Ok, so...we all get in the car and start eating them. In about 20 seconds...almost exactly at the same time we all went "uh oh....Uh Oh.....UH OH.....UUUHHH OOHHH!!!"

We all jumped out of the car and started running around the parking lot screaming like children. The peppers were SO hot...the hottest I've ever had in my life. (and I've had the hottest imaginable when I can get them)

So, we're freaking out like babies...and the guy who owns the farm comes around the corner with a garden hose. He says, "Did you learn your lessons boys?"

Oh man...does anyone even know why they were so damn hot? They were green...about 4-5 inches long and the seeds were just killer hot. This was in Mass., so I'm not sure if you Texan's would even know?

lol!

Don't know for sure Murph what you guys got hold of. I'm wondering if it was the unripened version of those red ones that come in hot Chinese food dishes. Those things pack a whallop also. Oddly enough, in my research of hot peppers I have learned that it's kind of a myth about the seeds being the hottest. See this (http://www.thescarms.com/hotstuff/pepperfacts.htm) link. The capsaicin is actually contained in the placenta of the fruit which is part of the interior. I usually oven dry my habaneros and then crush them by hand, followed by being dumped in a mini coffee grinder. From that, I get dry, powdered habanero that I keep in a jar to 'sprinkle' on when I want to jack up the heat level.

And just to keep this on topic, eating all that hot food requires lots of cold beer to wash it down. But I haven't determined how it affects my creativity yet.

-gb-

Christopher C. Murphy
October 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Lol, I think beer positively affects creative juices.

Anyone out there eat Pastene hot peppers? I keep one shelf in my fridge completely stocked with their bottled eats. I always have finger peppers, ring peppers (their best), peperoncini's, crushed red peppers and all their olives etc. My name is Murphy, but I'm actually mostly Italian!

Oh man, if you guys want the best hot pepper finger food ever...try this:

Buy the "Hot Cherry Peppers" from Pastene. Take out the stem and insides, stuff in some Motzeralla cheese and some pepperoni. It's the best thing you'll ever taste in your whole life...trust me!

http://www.pastene.com/

Joe Carney
October 14th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure, I usualy drink Scotch.

And after all the trouble I went to to get you on Vodka. Geeez.
And here in VA, they don't sell Canadian Vodka (state controlled stores)
the pikers.

Lets see...
Good German beer, Johnsonville anything, grilled over charcoal of course.
Sorry, I don't even know what beer brands are Danish. But very willing to learn:) Enjoy good Belgium double bock when available.

I've recently discovered a single barrel bourbon (thanks to my brother) that tastes like the nectar of the Gods, and I don't usually like Bourbon.

K. Forman
October 14th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Beer... Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat and Little Debbies swiss cakes- frozen, of course. Sounds wierd, but chocolate goes well with this beer.

Scott Hebert
October 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM
fav beer? whatever gets me drunk. :)

Frank Granovski
October 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I'm with you, Scott. Sometimes a man just needs his drink; the stronger, the better. ;-)

Mark Sasahara
October 25th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I'm a firm believer in the purity of vision achieved through imbibition of single malt scotches that are aged sixteen years, or more.

Decent film/video production can be achieved on Long Trail Ale, a Vermont Microbrew that is damn fine.

Will Kennedy
December 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking the alcohol of choice can be one of the best crew audition questions. Personally, when I hear my DP *only* drinks some sharp, bitter dark beer with a mile long name, I know that I'm in for an argument down the road about the purity of the angles. I want to know that you'll crack a warm bud can after (or shortly before) we wrap, simply because it's what we have left in the trunk and because it gets the job done.

But, if someone's doing the preparty shopping:

Duvels, Trader Joes Vintage Ale (no kidding), MGD in the biggest bottle you can find, Sam Adams Octoberfest (unfortunately available only a month a year), most any Heffeweisner, and Murphys Irish (especially with a shot from any of the options in the line below)

Glenmoraigne, Balvenie Doublewood, Crown Royal Special Reserve

Level1 and Mr. and Mrs. T's Spicy Blood Mary

Oh and hoorah to all who lauded the fine benefits of hot wings. Throw on a black and tan, a pile of napkins, and an attentive bartendress and you have all the meal I need.

Mark Sasahara
December 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM
It's a vital part of pre-pro, for production to plan for and facilitate cold brewskis, or if the crew is English, room temp Guiness. C'mon, if you can keep all your film stock cold, there's room in there for a few Heinie Keg Cans*. I must admonish you for bad prep if you're drinking warm beer, that's sooo amateur. The Clapper/Loader, or intern is responsible for beverages. My other set bag is a Playmate.

Unless someone actually prefers Bud, for God's sake, don't even look at that sh-t, it's like fizzy formaldehyde- Barf!

I don't know about creativity, but there's some shoots where you'd rather start the day with a beer and a shot. Hmm, come to think of it, that's pretty much how I start every day.

Huh.

Note to self: give away coffee maker.

*Bottles can break, so cans are best.

Sean McHenry
December 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
The line about "my other set bag..." sounds like a good bumper sticker. I wonder how many folks would get it?

Or, maybe this for a bumper sticker..."My Clapper/Loader better have a cold Hiney"

Man.

Sticking with Guniess and Baileys. In fact, heading off the clock - MY GOD, it's after 6pm! Why am I typing this. I need Baileys.

Sean

Joe Carney
December 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
As far as Jalepenos and other hot peppers? They are great going in, but too painful going out. Had to cut way down or mix them with something.
Tobasco has been a part of my cooking and eating since my Army days. The old C rations were almost unbearable without it.

Rob DuBroc
December 24th, 2005, 02:19 AM
oh yeah I love to edit after kickin back a few brews..... lately it's been Honey Brown....... but as a college student usually it's Bud Light... TILT is also AWESOME to get you going.

Matt Irwin
December 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking the alcohol of choice can be one of the best crew audition questions. Personally, when I hear my DP *only* drinks some sharp, bitter dark beer with a mile long name, I know that I'm in for an argument down the road about the purity of the angles. I want to know that you'll crack a warm bud can after (or shortly before) we wrap, simply because it's what we have left in the trunk and because it gets the job done.

But, if someone's doing the preparty shopping:

Duvels, Trader Joes Vintage Ale (no kidding), MGD in the biggest bottle you can find, Sam Adams Octoberfest (unfortunately available only a month a year), most any Heffeweisner, and Murphys Irish (especially with a shot from any of the options in the line below)

Glenmoraigne, Balvenie Doublewood, Crown Royal Special Reserve

Level1 and Mr. and Mrs. T's Spicy Blood Mary

Oh and hoorah to all who lauded the fine benefits of hot wings. Throw on a black and tan, a pile of napkins, and an attentive bartendress and you have all the meal I need.
I like the way you think!

Trader Joes beer is not to be underestimated. They have a winter double bock that is unbelievable. And their "reserve" scotches are not bad either.

I think my current favorite pre/post shoot beer would have to be James Squire Porter. Those Aussies don't mess around. Though if it's been a rough day, I'll crack a bottle of Old Resputin Imperial Stout. Drinking that stuff is like having the man himself jump out of the bottle and slap you with his beard. Never say die!

Heath McKnight
January 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I've tried writing while drinking beer and after 3 or 4 (I'm a lightweight, ask Chris Hurd after two Shiner Bocks in Dallas--I was a bit funny), I can't write as well. But I'd like to try shooting and drinking Shiners.

I do notice my tendency to drink water increases tenfold on shoots. No idea why, but I chug a lot of water on any film shoot I'm on. And eating chips and salsa. I ruin the craft services budget every time! The crew makes fun of me.

heath

Ken Beals
January 10th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Just a wee bit of trivia ....

As of this writing DV info has over 381 topics / threads that has the word "beer" mentioned in it at least once.

Guess I wouldn't need to use a life line if the million dollar question was, "What is a Videographers beverage of choice" ?

Just think how many 6 packs you could get for a million $$$ ...

Marco Leavitt
January 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM
There seems to be an unusual affinity for Shiner Bock as well. I'll have to look for that at the beverage center.

Mark Sasahara
January 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Just think how many 6 packs you could get for a million $$$ ...

Does that include Deposit?

Heath McKnight
January 10th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Because of so many people working behind the scenes, like Chris, live in Texas, esp. near Dallas, Shiner Bock is huge. It's a beer brewed out there and when I was in Dallas in November, I sampled two (huge) glasses and it's awesome. Fortunately, my local grocery store carries it out here in Palm Beach County, Florida, so I pick up a 6 pack along with my Miller Lite. My buddies love it, but the fiancee doesn't. She likes the foo-foo drinks.

heath

Sean McHenry
January 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
3 quick things...

1). Guinness only comes in 4-packs around here.

2). There is no deposit in Ohio.

3). Damn. I'm out of Guinness!

Ahhhhhh! I'm also out of Baileys! Oh what a long night this is going to be...

Mark Twain once said he drank Whiskey as a preventative for toothache.

Sean

Heath McKnight
January 10th, 2006, 10:12 PM
heh heh heh. What do you mean by no deposit?

heath

Sean McHenry
January 10th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Some states have a can and bottle "deposit" where you return the can or bottle and get 5 - 10 cents per. Naturally you have paid that nickle or dime up front so it is a container deposit if you like.

We don't have that in central Ohio. Maybe Toledo. They're odd up there.

Sean

Heath McKnight
January 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Interesting.

heath

Pierre Barberis
January 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Seems obvious though that aged white wine ( preferably burgundy ) looks much better in a HDV close up than anything else ... DO you want to check a sample of it ? just tell me where to upload it.. ;-)

Will Kennedy
January 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I like the way you think!

Trader Joes beer is not to be underestimated. They have a winter double bock that is unbelievable. And their "reserve" scotches are not bad either.

I think my current favorite pre/post shoot beer would have to be James Squire Porter. Those Aussies don't mess around. Though if it's been a rough day, I'll crack a bottle of Old Resputin Imperial Stout. Drinking that stuff is like having the man himself jump out of the bottle and slap you with his beard. Never say die!

I've always been scared by the generic trader joes scotches. They sort of remind me of the Leaving Las Vegas approach to power drinking. Not sure if anyone ever grew up near a Lucky in California but they had this style down to a science, clear plastic grip bottles literally labelled "Vodka" and "Gin." The old men filling their carts made me give up quick on hopes of cashing in my piggy bank cash for some Mike and Ikes and hightail it out of there.
But if you're saying the Trader Joes branded "reserve" scotch is worth the stretch I'll have to give it a go. It would certainly save me a pretty penny. Plus I have to remember that they have a more liberal return policy than costco.

PS
Any stout that conjures up slapping bearded angry monks has to make it's way to my fridge.

Michael Westphal
January 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Guess I've been working and drinking too hard to find this thread till now...

Unfortunately, I do "volunteer videography" for the local ballet here in south Louisiana. The going rate is a 6-pack for a 1-2 minute audition tape. I usually drop hints that I don't do lager, and prefer ales or stouts. Although anything by Abita (our local brewery) is acceptable. It's not kosher to drink the beer while in the studio with a bunch of young dancers... so I can't vouch for it improving my creativity, but it's certainly refreshing after the shoot, and it may help with the editing.
In late 2005, I was awarded "Volunteer of the Year". My award was a 6-pack of Heineken... (Yeah, I like that too... and believe it or not, Budweiser is a good beer to drink with crawfish and raw oysters.)

I'm thinking that this year I should raise my fee to scotch... but I doubt I'll get many payments in single-malt.

Will Kennedy
January 15th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I forgot to respond to this till now and I hate to jump into a catfight, but this bothers me:
Mark, get a sense of humor. Aspiring indie talkalot filmmakers and watering hole patrons don't mix. You missed the whole point. If your enthusiasm for the hops quality of the lastest oregan born microbrew overshadows your ability to kick back and toss down some suds with some good buddies who are throwing some effort into your ill-fated project, then you don't know jack. This isn't the napa valley point system of the highest rated brew. It's a glory story thread of the merits of mixing inflamable liquids with diy techno art.
I don't mean for this to be a personal attack, it's not fair amongst people who haven't met each other. You wouldn't have set me off if you hadn't included "Barf" and "sooo amateur" in your feedback. But five will get you twenty that you have never in your life started "the day with a beer and a shot."

Chris Hurd
January 15th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I don't mean for this to be a personal attack...

Slightly edited so as not to appear like one. Keep it cool, folks!

Mark Sasahara
January 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
*Sigh*

Easy there, killer. My comments were made with tongue firmly planted in cheek and a side of sarcasm. Apparently, my humor is a bit obscure.

The Long Trail (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=2) is a hiking trail located in Vermont (http://vermont.gov/). Long Trail Ale (http://www.longtrail.com/index.cfm) is good stuff. If you can get some, check it out. It's very hoppy and chewy. I'll understand if you're not partial to that kind of beer.

I have started the day with a beer and a shot, but not when I'm working. It was a double entendre, having a beer while getting the first shot of the day, hence the beer and a shot. There have been those shoots where I wish I were drunk, because it eases the pain.

I have worked for free/beer, but only for a few good friends, who are great people, great directors and who repay the favor by getting me paying gigs. I do it because I believe in them.

I drank part of a Bud 40 and I almost puked it tasted so bad, but I finished it anyway.

I make my living as a DP and Gaffer here in New York and often utilize my innate ability to kick back and enjoy a brewski.

Cheers.

Heath McKnight
January 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
C'mon, everyone, kick back with an ice cold whatever-ya-drink and take it easy.

heath

Mark Sasahara
January 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I've had several glasses of wine with a friend.

Just trying to clarify things.