View Full Version : Camera security in hotels

Phil Murray
June 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM
In a couple of weeks I'll be taking my Canon XH-A1 and gear to Peru in a couple of weeks. I've always traveled with smaller gear. While the A1 is no longer my main camera and is worth a lot less than it used to be worth -- that's why I'm choosing to take it -- I till don't want to lose it.

Short of carrying your camera with you at ALL times, how do you secure your camera? I'll be staying at a hotel where I've stayed many, many times before for extended periods and generally trust the front desk staff. When the maids are in the rooms, I'll be out and the camera will be with me. But I'd like to leave it secure at night.

Any idea I can think of still involves a bit of trust. I could secure a piece of luggage to a bed frame with locks and cables, but don't think that would hold off a determined thief.

I'm sure hoping some of you who have traveled with more expensive gear could give me some insight on how you secure your stuff when it's not being used.

Thanks!

Phill Pendleton
June 12th, 2013, 07:18 PM
When I worked for a TV Network I would leave the Network's camera at reception.
But now I own the camera, keep it with me at all times. Never leaves my side. Curtails the night life but on a trip, I'm there to work.

Phil Murray
June 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Phill. This trip will be a bit of both -- both working and personal. Will only be working about 6-8 hours a day, maybe less, and my friends there already have plans for me the rest of the time! I may just have to tell that the camera stays with me.

Robert Morane
June 13th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Phil, I am envious of your coming trip to Peru a destination on my list for sure.
Last week , my camera was stolen in an hotel in Portland , Maine.
I was a frequent guest to this hotel, my level of comfort and trust was very high (still is, I am sure the staff is not guilty of thief but they were of negligence).
I was told in the morning that I would have to be move to another room which was not yet ready. Having to run to an appointment I was told to let my luggage in my room and that the staff would move it as soon as the new room would be ready.
My gears(in their specific cases and pouches) were hidden in a blank Duffel. Later that day back to the hotel, I discover that the bag has been open and 5 cases-pouches were missing.
The bags were left in the hallway before being taken to the room (negligence) and this was the opportunity for the thief.
In conclusion, I have learn from my misadventure to never left my camera and precious gear at the hotel (no matter how trustworthy they may be) and to always carry my stuff with me. I know this is often annoying , particularly when you move around a lot.
The size and portability of the camera is a major point of consideration when traveling; small and light make it easier to carry all the time.
That was my personal lesson, I wish you good luck and safe travel.

Phil Murray
June 13th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks, Robert. I am really worried about that happening to me. This will new my 20th trip to Peru in the past 8 years so I am very aware of problems with theft where I'm going which, frankly, is a MUCH greater threat than here in the U.S.

I'm even thinking about taking a smaller consumer camera (Canon HF M31) along with a DSLR (Canon 60D) just to be safe and because both will fit in the in-room safe where I'll be staying most of the time. While there will be a hit on quality, there are also some pluses which might balance things out.

I'll be shooting a doc for a charity organization there and maybe doing one or two other last-minute impromptu projects TBD when I get there. I was there in October and did some work with the 60D, but found it not so easy to work with -- especially in the areas of sounds and white balance. (Here's the trailer I did last fall: People of Peru - Trailer on Vimeo).

If you ever get a chance to go to Peru, you really need to go. It is an really amazing place unlike anywhere else I've ever been -- an incredible amount of diversity in one relatively small place.

I'll be in the rainforest region when I'm there, but the mountains are spectacular, too. I've been to Cusco and Machu Picchu twice and they are definitely must-visit places, but going deep in the Andes to remote villages is an better experience. My favorite region is still the rainforest. While I'll be in a city there most of the time -- the biggest city in the world not reachable by road -- I plan to head up or down the Amazon to visit some more remote villages.

Steven Digges
June 13th, 2013, 10:57 AM
For an opportunity like that you need to take the best gear you have. It would be a shame not to have it just because of a possible threat. I would take the best gear and the backup stuff and keep them in two different places at all times so I was not left without tools just in case. It is only cameras, they can be insured, you are shooting real people!

Steve

Phil Murray
June 13th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I agree with you, Steve, about wanting to use the best equipment, but this is also a bit of a vacation, too, and the opportunity to spend time with friends I only get to see about once a year now. (The next visit probably won't be possible until next summer.)

I go back and forth on what I want to do over and over and probably will change my mind many times in the next 10 days.

The consumer camera that I have is almost as good as the XH-A1 in low light, but since I won't be filming much (if at all) in low light situations then that may not matter. I have a BeachTek adapter that will allow me to use XLR microphones with the camera, too. It also has good manual controls for nearly every function. The small size will allow me to use a smaller, lighter tripod.

Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself to take the smaller kit? Ha ha! I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts about substituting the cameras in this situation.
Forgot to say, the finished video will be seen online with some copies maybe sent out to churches probably just as regular DVDs, so the difference also may not matter.

I'd really want to hear everyone's opinions.

Robert Benda
June 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Does the hotel offer a safe? Either in room or at reception.

Otherwise, a false box/container of something unappealing to stash your stuff in, which then goes into the luggage. If your pride allows, an empty box of adult diapers will hold a camera and some accessories.

We do something similar at the beach - an empty sun tan lotion bottle, cut open and cleaned, will hide your wallet pretty well.

Phil Murray
June 13th, 2013, 12:50 PM
There is an in-room safe -- not too big but enough for a small camera. Leaving things with the front desk at night if I'm gone is an option because I trust the desk folks. They have all been there for years -- it's a small, family-run hotel -- and the front door is locked and secured after hours so no one comes and goes without them knowing.

I can almost certainly leave my stuff with the charity's director or in their office, too. They have security and I absolutely trust the staff there so that is probably my best bet. Since I don't plan to stay with them, I'd be without my equipment at night, though, for personal use.

I'm not too concerned about hiding my equipment and would rather just have it secured.

I just thought of something -- when I've been there before, I've left my laptop outside of the safe without any problems. I do, however, keep it locked inside my luggage which is also attached by a cable lock to the bed frame.

Hmmmm. May not be so bad after all!

Robert Morane
June 13th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Phil, this subject is central to my thinking right now. Being a perfectionist (going for the best) or an optimalist (the best kit in relation to the final outcome and general as well as specific conditions of the project).
Few years ago I went to India for 5 months , carrying close to 200 pounds of equipment and I swear to myself NEVER again.
The quality produce by small camcorders is such that I would rather go small and try to develop a workflow accordingly.
(By the way I love your video)

Al Gardner
June 15th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Do you have insurance?
My cameras and equipment are in hotel rooms all the time. No way around it.

Bruce Foreman
June 16th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Sky News learned to appreciate the value of small equipment on some recent assignments where the visibility of pro level gear could have undesirable outcomes. What they discovered was an AF100 where they needed something like that (instead of ENG gear) or the Panasonic GH2 especially got them in where bigger gear wouldn't (Chinese "lockdown" of some Tibetan cities with Bhuddist protests)..

For a small lightweight camera the GH2 turned out incredible video and with a few "fast" primes could pack into a surprisingly small bag. The 14mm and 20mm "pancakes" are amazingly small and the 20mm is an f1.7 (the 14 - a 28mm equiv - is f2.5), and the diminutive Olympus 45mm (90mm equiv) is f1.8.

The GH2 is discontinued, the GH3 is larger and heavier, but the just released Panasonic G6 is the closest replacement for the GH2 and that with the 3 primes mentioned is the way I would go. In the rainforest I would be sure to have a supply of 1 quart ziplock bags (to protect the lenses) and 1 gal ziplocks for the camera.

Andrew Gough
June 16th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Pacsafe is your friend

Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products | products (http://pacsafe.com/products)

Mark Watson
June 17th, 2013, 02:36 AM
I've spent about 100 nights/year in hotels over the past 8 years and usually only take a fraction of my gear outside the hotel when I head out for the day. My laptop, recorded media (cards and HDDs) and as many high dollar items I can fit, goes in the lock box. The rest goes inside a locked suitcase. So far I have not had anything stolen.

I would recommend you don't compromise on what gear you take for fear of theft. Take whatever steps you can to not advertise you have expensive gear in your room. If they don't know you have it, much less chance they'll rob you. I sometimes put my Pelican 1510 case inside a regular suitcase, since it tends to attract unwanted eyeballs. When room service comes up to deliver a meal, I put tripods into the closet and otherwise make sure the camera and computer gear is all out of sight.

Phil Murray
June 24th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I learned a lot.

I am in Lima now waiting on my flight to take me to Iquitos, Peru in a couple of hours.

I decided to take the small video camera. The biggest influence was the fact that one of the men who run the group that I'll be shooting was recently robbed by two men -- one was carrying a machete! The'd obviously been watching him and it was in an area where I'll be quite a bit.

Violent crime has been almost non-existent there, but it apparently has become more and more in recent months so I decided it would be in my best interest to carry something much less conspicuous. I think I can achieve most, if not all, of my goals with minimal equipment. This smaller camera made travel a lot easier, too, as I am able to carry it and everything but the tripod and head with me. (The tripod/head are locked away and well wrapped in my checked suitcase.)

Interestingly, the few accessories I brought are much more valuable than the camera -- a quality tripod and head, a Sennheiser wireless lav set, two other mics, etc.

Now there's no excuse -- I just have to do a good job and not blame to equipment.

Phil Murray
June 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Just a quick note now that I am in Iquitos, Peru. The folks here agree that small is better right now. Crime and armed robberies have increased dramatically and an inconspicuous camera is what they recommend.

I start doing some prep work and maybe a little shooting tomorrow. Can't wait to get started. I love this place!

Steven Digges
June 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Have a great trip Phil and be safe! The value and professionalism of cameras has always been judged by their size to the unfamiliar. Luckily for us we know that has all changed. Enjoy the challenge of your "small" camera. Not attracting the attention a shoulder mount gets can work to your advantage in many ways. But you know that. Be well!

Steve

Allan Black
June 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Phil, so how's things in Iquitos, shooting some good stuff? How's the mosquitoes treating you, got plenty of DEET there?

Last Nov. we cruised further east along on the Amazon, it was great, loved it. In the season, we were told the mosquitoes are so bad,
you can't open your mouth to speak! Hope it's better in Iquitos.

Cheers.

Phil Murray
June 25th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Have a great trip Phil and be safe! The value and professionalism of cameras has always been judged by their size to the unfamiliar. Luckily for us we know that has all changed. Enjoy the challenge of your "small" camera. Not attracting the attention a shoulder mount gets can work to your advantage in many ways. But you know that. Be well!

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'm hoping I can do a good job with a small camera. I am definitely glad that I don't have the larger camera. I walked around in Belen, the unbelievably poor neighborhood here, and I had everyone's eyes on me as I walked around. It was a very different feeling from years passed. A gringo walking alone catches everyone's attention and I didn't notice as many smiles as I'd received before. That was a little unnerving.

Interestingly, I did see a guy with what looked like a Sony EX3 on nice Vinten sticks shooting in central Iquitos. I tried to talk to him, but he acted like a jerk and wouldn't talk, so I just walked away. He looked nervous and probably thought that I was going to rob him!

Phil Murray
June 25th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Phil, so how's things in Iquitos, shooting some good stuff? How's the mosquitoes treating you, got plenty of DEET there?

Last Nov. we cruised further east along on the Amazon, it was great, loved it. In the season, we were told the mosquitoes are so bad,
you can't open your mouth to speak! Hope it's better in Iquitos.

Cheers.

It's a completely different world on the Amazon, isn't it, Allan? I really love this place.

I've never had any problem with mosquitoes here. I've been here maybe10 times over the years and probably have seen less than 5 total in all that time -- both in town and downriver in the jungle, too. Maybe my blood is poisonous to them. More likely, though, is that I sweat so much that they can't get through to my skin!

Haven't shot much -- trying to get rested up from all the travel. Did a little today down by the river, but plan to get to work for real tomorrow.

Here's a pic I took with my little point-n-shoot while eating a hamburger for dinner. (This kind of beautiful sunset is a daily thing here.)

Allan Black
June 28th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Hi Phil, nice descriptive pix there.

Totally agree, the Amazon River is a wonderful world to itself, all the surrounding country and the people who live there rely on the river for their livelihood. Last Nov. we sailed in from the Carribean, 1600kms west, more than halfway across Sth America for 11 days, in and back out again.

One city I loved was Manaus, at one time during the rubber boom, it was the richest city in Brazil.

https://www.google.com/search?q=manaus+brazil&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WyfOUaWKKMefkgX4zYC4DA&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=673

They had electric street lighting before most European cities and in the late 1800s the city fathers built a European style Opera House. We had 2 days in Manaus and we wanted to see whatever was on, but I couldn't book in advance. Soon as the ship docked, I raced across the city to grab some
of the last tickets for that night.

It was the 60 piece Amazonian Orchestra playing works by a Brazilian composer. The house was full and they played for 85 minutes.
It was a once in a lifetime experience and I marvel at how lucky we were to have been there.

Amazon Theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Theatre)

How is your shoot going?

Cheers.

Linn Jones
October 28th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I always bring my gear with me. And put my computer under the blankets in the bed. You never know when you might get a great shot! :)