View Full Version : Metabones speedbooster very tight fit

Peter Rush
August 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM
My speedbooster is so tight I think i might break something if I tighten it. It's a good fit on my NEX EA50 and I swap lenses between EA50/VG20 no probs - any Speedbooster users have a similar problem?

Pete

Bo-Ming Tong
August 14th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Well it is like that by design. The story was, there had been a number of people having difficulty with loose mounts with earlier Metabones products - you zoom or focus and the lens wiggles. This would not have been acceptable to cinematographers, especially those who use follow-focus outfits. So, the Speed Booster is designed with rigidity as the highest priority and because of that the mounts are very tight and could be harder to turn.

The fact of the matter is, neither the NEX mount nor the EF mount were anything like PL mount. They are well-suited for still photography (need to change lenses quickly on the run) but we shoe-horn it for video (but here rigidity is the most important).

If you find your mount too tight you might disassemble the front mount and flatten the leaf spring a little. This mod is relatively simple and you could customize your mount to your taste.

Peter Rush
August 15th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Thanks Bo - i was a little 'firm' with it and it went on the VG20 - I do like this adapter - money well spent :)

Craig Marshall
September 14th, 2013, 05:01 PM
You may need to adjust the Speedbooster's back focus. Mine was a tight fit on the VG20 till I set the back focus, now it is perfect.