View Full Version : One card, multiple cameras

Bill Ward
August 17th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Is there any solid reason that a single SxS card cannot be used on back to back shoots by different cameras?

I've got a series of double camera interviews in the next few days. Due to a just completed two day double camera shoot, I am running a bit short of SxS cards. I have a couple of 64 gig cards left, one for my camera, one for the EX-3 and F3 cameras to be provided by local DPs. Most of the interviews are 30-60 mins, so they all might fit on one card. Can I format the card, use it in an EX-3, then take the same card and record the next two shoots on two different F3 cameras, as long as the camera resolution is the same, and the card is not reformatted?

I know it is not ideal, but any potential issues I might encounter?

Thanks!

Dave Sperling
August 17th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, unless there were an issue with one or another of the cameras not being on the latest firmware. My preference if doing this would be to format the card on an F3, but that's just me... At one point or another I've tried recording onto same card from EX1, PMW200 and F3 and all were fine and visible in XDcam Browser (data from all 3 on card at same time).
The main caveat is to make sure you're not duplicating file numbers, which though unlikely could theoretically be possible. I'd also really try to avoid spanning cards if possible, though I can't think of any reason this would be a problem - just never tried it...
Also, make extra sure that the card doesn't get formatted by mistake!

John Cummings
August 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I don't think I'd rely on it for a paying gig...but I'm a nervous nelly.

Bill Ward
August 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Partial follow up: I did test it fairly vigorously before the shoot, going back and forth between an EX-3 camera and an F3. There appeared to be no issues...it recorded and played back flawlessly.

Our only other option on this last shoot would have been to use my disaster scenario 30mbs SDHC cards in a card adapter. We were able to record without issue in the field. But the final test is when they download the cards into post on Monday and we see for sure.

Bill Ward
August 31st, 2013, 09:47 AM
And, final follow up: card was able to be downloaded with mixed video from an Ex-3 and two different F3 cameras, without issue.

YMMV.

James Kuhn
August 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Bill Ward...thanks! I know I can copy from memory a camera's programmed settings on an SxS card and use it with another of the same model camera. What I didn't know, but you've shown, is you can use the SxS card with different camera platforms. Interesting. I am presuming, as in this case, these cameras all need to be within the XDCAM family? I wonder if you can do the same using 'XQD cards and adapters'? Hmmm?

Regards,

J.

John Cummings
August 31st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Good to hear!

Leonard Levy
September 1st, 2013, 04:27 PM
I've used the expresscard adapters for SDHC cards and formatted them on both a Canon t2i and the Sony EX-1.
The formatting information seems to remain for both cameras regardless of whether I reformat in either camera to erase footage so its on some deeper level of the card. Neither camera seems to care that format info for the other is on the card. Thus I can switch the same SDHC card in both cameras without erasing anything. Presumably similar for XQD.

(The T2i doesn't use the expresscard adapter BTW - that's for the Sony. )