View Full Version : saving for the GL2

Zeno Perez
September 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Glad to have found this community,

I'm currently planning on getting the canon GL2 by holiday season. I would just like to know if I'm saving towards a good investment as I know that it's an aging cam and also the fact that SD might be yesterday's technology soon. I'd like to use this camera to record skateboard videos, short films, and family events, and of course I'm looking for top notch quality with all of those.

Am I still in time to enter into the world of canon GL2 or should I wait with my investment? Thanks.

DJ Kinney
September 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
The GL2 remains in the $2,000 range. The new canon HD offering has been rumored to be $10,000. It isn't a matter of technology, it's a matter of price.

Also, the skate video aesthetic is somewhat outdated, and so maybe an SD cam would suit it well.

Home videos for family events...the GL2 couldn't be better for the consumer side of prosumer because the cam is easy to operate and small enough (barely) that it doesn't scare the kids.

As for short movies, well, welcome to the hell that is my life. Attempting to turn DV into legit film. You could spend a million or more and it would still look like...well...Dancer in the Dark.

Good Luck,

DJ

Zeno Perez
September 27th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Also, the skate video aesthetic is somewhat outdated, and so maybe an SD cam would suit it well.

not sure what you meant exactly with that statement, but I appreciate the response and currently has me penny pinching towards the cam. Thanks.

Jay Kavi
September 28th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I've spend a lot of time recently, and i think the GL2 is perfect for what your doing. Its small, light and gives a great image. I dont know if you have already, but if you can rent or borrow one to see if you like it. If you do, just get a wide angle lens and your set for skate vids. if you want to compare i would check out the vx2100 (a little heavier but a great camera)

Geoff Holland
September 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Zeno

I bought an XM2, the PAL version of the GL2 a little while ago. The picture quality is fantastic. The manual controls will encourage you to experiment and bring out the Spielberg in you!

However.... 4:3 is just about gone. I bought my widescreen in the UK about 4 years ago. I don't think you can buy 4:3 anymore. It's the same where I live now, just a little behind.

Even though the XM2 has a 16:9 mode, it just squishes 4:3 and adjusts later. I won't bore you with the details (which I'm still trying to understand myself), but getting the video from the camera to a widescreen TV is not as straightforward as most of us beginners thought it would be.

You don't need to spend $10,000 on an HD / widescreen camera. The Sony HC1 (?) is under $2000 over here, probably cheaper in the States. From the comments I've seen so far, it looks great. It will also do true 16:9 SD out of the box. And is future proofed with HD too.

I suggest you visit the forum here for that camera before you make your mind up. I had the option of swapping mine just after I'd bought it, two learned posters here advised me to do so.... but I was struck with Director Disease and thought a semi-pro camera was my next step forward.

I'm starting to wish now that I'd recognised my limits, had been honest about where my films were likely to end up (with the family in front of the telly on a rainy day!!) and let common sense prevail.

But don't just listen to me (on a bit of a downer after failing dismally to get decent widescreen onto the TV!!) Have a good look around the boards here. There is a wealth of knowledge, sincerely offered and free! It's a fantastic site and a credit to its creator and all the "old boots" etc.!!

David Ennis
September 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I like my VX2100 a lot, but I love my GL2. At roughly $1750 US after the rebate, I think the GL2 is easily the best bang for the buck camera out there for the serious amateur. When HD becomes easier to edit, and there are more HD TVs out there, maybe I'll change my mind.

Graham Bernard
September 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Fred? - You took the ink straight outta my keyboard . . . G

DJ Kinney
September 28th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I want to do a tiny backstep on my comment in reference to outdated skate video aesthetic.

What I meant were these things Zeno, and apologies if I sounded rough the first time:

1) Style. The shooting style of the skate video has barely changed in twenty years. You have your musical interludes, kids at parks and at street locales, the EXTREME fisheye on the grind from left (ooop way close) then off to the right or vise-versa, and the ridealong dolly shot side-by-side with the skater.

2) Output. Final destination for these videos is usually the skate shop. I mean, these things aren't going to IMAX. They end up on DVD, and historically on VHS, on SD TVs.

3) Audience. The skaters want to see tricks, and they want to see technique. The don't give a rat's hind end if it looks "filmic" or whatever. In fact, they probably would turn off to it if it looked too clean.

So I'll stand by those comments. It isn't "outdated." What I meant is that it is "entrenched."

Please post again and tell me what you think.

DJ

Michael Wisniewski
September 28th, 2005, 11:32 PM
As others have mentioned the GL2 is still very viable, especially for skate videos. And for what you want to do, it's going to be viable for a long time to come.

Whatever you get, one of your top 5, "must have" skate cam features should be a top handle. Can't stress that little feature enough, unless you really like road rash and bone jar, all while dropping your camcorder.

Just take a normal camcorder without a handle and try to skate down the street with it and you'll see what I mean.

Zeno Perez
September 28th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the followup. Your first comment wasn't harsh by any means I just had trouble understanding what you meant by the outdated feel to skate vids. Your second post however cleared things up.

I don't want to be mistaken, I'm not looking for production quality material neither will my skate video's involve any professional skaters but rather my younger brother's early stages of skateboarding and his local skate buddies. It's sort of the only connection between me and my calm collect self, and his constant sugar-high adrenaline pumped behaviour. I do perhaps wish to publish my material on dvd's or on the net to be freely distributed among those who are interested in the footage.

I currently record on a sony v3 digital still camera who's quality I'm actually semi-satisfied with. This was taken with it's middle quality setting (640 x 480, 16 fps) capable of 30fps video;
http://65.98.80.141/uploads/zeno/skatedemon.wmv

I'm of course hoping that the GL2 footage will be no competition to that of a still digital cameras.

That's as far as my needs with recording extreme sports with the cam goes.

The other major use for this cam will be for the short films and quality family events, which I'm guessing for the abundance of manual controls will shine.

Bottom line: I'm an amateur "hobbyist" videographer looking for a good platform to refine my video skills on.

Zeno Perez
October 4th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Well I've been researching the vx2100 but couldn't find info on if it comes with 30fps progressive mode..

David Ennis
October 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Well I've been researching the vx2100 but couldn't find info on if it comes with 30fps progressive mode..No, it comes with a 15fps progressive mode. It is intended only for producing clean frame grabs, not for delivery as video--too jerkiy.

Meryem Ersoz
October 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM
the GL2 is a great cam for what you want to do. i've shot a bit of skate and bmx video with it. it's very sturdy,too--i have bike-mounted mine, and it is a nice weight for using with mobile mounts, heavy enough to minimize camera judder (though there still is some with the bike mount), light enough so that i don't worry about it taxing the strength of the mount or falling off. gets a nice picture in frame mode. pretty easy to learn to use manually, which you will want to do for sports video. i'd look more closely at the H1, simply because it looks very good for the price--you can still deliver in SD on DVD and you have HDV flexibility for the future. in an SD-only camera, i don't think you can do much better than a GL2 for the price....

Patrick Smith
October 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM
i'll agree. i got my gl-2 for automotive lifestyle dvd, and i have shot skate boarding. i hand my camera out windows of cars, get it dirty, a touch wet, and dropped it. it still works like a charm

Zeno Perez
October 5th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Yea that's another thing, I'm also an automotive enthusiast. I'd like to use the camera to record runs at the local dragstrip but the track has very limited lighting. Wouldn't the vx2100 better suffice?

Alan Daoud
October 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I have a GL2 for sale. Bought new last year. Used about 8 times. I bought an XL2 and was going to keep it for dual camera shoots, but I never seem to have anybody to shoot with. Have the box and everything that came with it.
First $1500. takes it! Alan

David Ennis
October 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Yea that's another thing, I'm also an automotive enthusiast. I'd like to use the camera to record runs at the local dragstrip but the track has very limited lighting. Wouldn't the vx2100 better suffice?
Yes, allthough "very limited lighting" is subjective. But when the light starts to dim to the level of a 12x12 room lit with a 60 watt bulb, the GL2 is good, but the VX2100 is better.

Mal Stevens
October 9th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I use two GL 2 camera's for unobtrusive use like weddings and other events that require portability. Lightweight and small. A lot of bang for the price.
Mal. Stevens
Los Angeles, CA

Andrew Almendarez
October 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hello,
Ive been using a GL2 pretty much since it got on the shelf, I only really shoot skateboarding and music videos, and for that its been really good to me untill the last month as it literaly fell apart. The remains are actualy in the buy and sell forum.

heres a link to the last video i made with it, its super compressed but just to give you an idea.

http://www.skateaz.com/users/price/video/tc4num5.wmv

If I could do it all over again, I would go with a VX2000 for the low light and pretty much the fact that most of my firends and people I work with use a Sony and the footage would be easier to cut with. The GL2 is amazing for sure, but little things stuck out like a sore thumb, my zoom rocker totaly went out twice, the OIS went nuts, and the internal speaker went out.

As DJ Kinney said, you can pretty much get away with any camera if the content works, The newest Baker video was shot with a 6 year old Trv900 with a scrached lens, is the same style as a video from the late 80's and still my local shop sold a 60 copies in the 1st weekend it came out, give or take that in every city around the world.

With that, if your going to use the camera all around for a long time, best bet is a VX2100 just for the sake of the better low light, It comes into play alot more then you would think. Best bang for the buck and getting what you pay for come into play here. Even being a canon lover, the VX2100 to me is better all around camera, but if its a few hundred dollars better, thats up to you.

Mal Stevens
October 12th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Thank you for the reply. I viewed your video this AM and was impressed with the content and your camera work. What system did you edit the tapes with?
Also, did you use the wide angle Canon Lens?
Sorry to hear your GL 2 fell apart on you. I certainly would let Canon know about that. Again thank you for the oportunity to view your video and the reply.

Andrew Almendarez
October 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the good words. I used the century optics .3x fisheye and just the standard lens only. I use Premiere pro 1.51 to lay it all out and After effects for the slow motion.
I can't blame Canon for the falling apart, I did drag it around the world and its had its share of drops, hits, and bad weather. I am acutaly happy with how long it did last, other then the little problems I metioned. Though it feels plasticly, it holds up well.