View Full Version : Lens Adapters

Ronald Jackson
September 10th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I've been after selling my XLH1 for quite a while, and purchased an EX3 in anticipation. Wildlife, mainly birds, is my target.

Used a nanoFlash as well, with both cameras, with Canon EF lenses on the XL and a Nikon lens on the EX3.

Picture quality superior on the XL. Thinking now about keeping the XL (and nano) and selling the EX3. Already sold my EF lenses in favour of a new Nikkor 80-400.

Anybody have experience of Nikon to XL lens adapters and knowledge of how they compare quality wise with Canon's own EF adapter?

I have a feeling that the superior XL/EF lens picture might be down to the much more complicated (and expensive) EF adapter, as compared with the MTF made one I use on my EX3.

Ron

Don DesJardin
September 18th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Ronald,
I have a XL H1 and use the Nikon 80-400mm lens, and love it. The Nikon to XL lens adapter contains no glass, just air, unlike the Canon adapter which contains glass, and there has always been a debate on whether that glass hurts the sharpness. Feel free to visit my website for samples of what I have done with the 80-400mm.
Birds DesJardin (http://birdsdesjardin.com)

Ronald Jackson
September 19th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Some nice stuff there Don. Just shows how good the XLH1 is for bird video with a DSLR lens attached, all that 7.2x "crop" factor. I use mine with a nanoFlash but even HDV is still good particularly on a big plasma screen or when projected.

What make of adapter do you use?

Ron

Don DesJardin
September 20th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments about my videos. I bought my adapter from a company in the UK that no longer makes it. Here is a link to another UK company that has made these adapters for a long time.

Nikon G to Canon XL Adaptor | lensadaptor.com (http://www.lensadaptor.com/nikon-g-canon-xl-adaptor)

I bought a Panasonic GH3 in march and have been using that for birds and general nature footage. The last time I used the XL h1 was in May for some interview stuff. When using the NiKon 80-400mm on the GH3 I have a max reach of 1920mm (including the 2x magnification factor plus the 2.4x internal cropping with no loss of resolution). It's not the 2880mm I had with the H1, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

Don

Ronald Jackson
September 21st, 2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks Don- I know of Mike Tapa and have one of his Nikkor adaptors for my GH3.

I now use my GH3 exclusively, still trying to master it fully. However given that my XLH1 is difficult to sell I'm thinking of keeping it along with my nanoFlash. Sold my EOS lenses hence interest in using my Nikon mount lenses.

Ron

Don DesJardin
September 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
I feel the same as you about the H1, hard to sell so I'll keep it for a while. I'm pretty comfortable with the GH3 and I'm using the Panasonic 100-300mm lens most all the time. When I'm out in the field I carry the Nikon 80-400mm just in case I need the longer reach. I do have some stuff on Vimeo I shot with the GH3.

https://vimeo.com/channels/15003

Looking forward to you posting some of your work.......Don