View Full Version : Any advice for taking a difficult shot?

Niels Neeskens
September 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Hey everyone,

I am looking for any useful advice regarding a difficult shot we are going to take for a client. We are going for a 'Jaws effect' shot, where we are focussing on an object and do a dolly shot towards the object while zoom out. This way you get the effect of the object that stays at the same spot, but the surrounding are changing in a dramatic way. Next to that it should be a timelapse shot, where people come in and out the room and touch the object. We want to take the shot for a minimum of 1 hour. We'll have to take this shot within 2 weeks, so time pressure.

A few problems with this shot:
- We want to shoot this shot with our floatcam dollycrane. This way we can control the movement forward by the motion control remote. By moving forward you can use quite a small part of the dolly, without seeing the front site of the rail in the shot. We probably solved this problem. We builded a piece that can be attached to the head of the dolly and goes up for a meter high. This way we can go further back without seeing the front of the rails in the shot.
- What is the best way to achieve the light beam effect in the timelapse with people come in and out of the room with the Sony FS700? S&Q 1fps and 1/30 shutter? Will this achieve enough motion blur? It will be a good lit room, so probably we'll have to use a couple of ND filters.
- We have to focus on the object, but we are doing a long time-lapse. A manual focus pull would be very difficult. We've found a focus assist that has a laser that points on the object and keeps the focus. I don't have the name here, but will have it tomorrow. Problem is, that it will be available in the end of the year and we'll have to take this shot within 2 weeks. Does anybody have some advice on the best way to do this?
- For a test shoot we used a Canon 16-35 mm lens. I thought the effect of the changing surroundings was to little. We have to make this more dramatic. Probably this lens is to wide for this. We haven't had to time to test it, but maybe the Canon 24-70 mm will get a more dramatic effect. Any tips for this problem will help a lot.

I would be very happy with any input for this shoot. Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Niels

Bob Hart
October 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Sadly it seems, no one has replied and given that more than two weeks has elapsed, it is now probably a bit late.

So far as I know, the classic shot which combines zoom, a dolly move and refocus should be limited to movement towards or away from the subject on a line parallel to the optical axis aimed so that the subject remains centered. If the subject is allowed to drift in the image the surreal effect is apparently lost or diminished.