View Full Version : DVC23 - The Interview

Tim Lewis
October 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
This short (very) film was a solo effort. The idea came from a misunderstanding of the whole DVC process, as this is my first time giving it a try. The music was the critical metric for the idea and the piece I came up with had the right feel, with a break in the middle that worked as a relief in the build up of tension.

As the music was relatively short to this point, the overall film is not very long.

Randy Smith
October 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
TheInterview on Vimeo

hopefully this works for in-thread viewing?

Tim Lewis
October 3rd, 2013, 08:38 PM
Thanks Randy!

Marc Burleigh
October 4th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hi Tim... At first it reminded me of the early promos thrown together in my days as a TV reporter in Australia.

So, OK, it's not a DVC story or anything -- but I'd love some of your equipment (especially the lights). And I have almost the exact same Chesterfield armchair.

Henry Williams
October 4th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Loved it! That was nicely put together and very funny :)

Tim Lewis
October 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM
@ Marc

Thanks for the comments. I see now, with at least some of the other entries are online, that my effort is pretty feeble. I cobbled it together with what I had. The lights are actually my studio flash set so they are not really video lights, but I pressed them into service anyway. The chesterfield is a Moran from Melbourne and is really comfy, it would be even more comfy in a Paris apartment though, I reckon.

@ Henry

Thanks for the encouragement.

Derwin Dalida
October 4th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, I thought it was cute! I was anticipating who or what the subject was, then the reveal of Mister E... cracked me up! Good job :)

Chris Barcellos
October 4th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Build up in tension toward the interview was gpod and shot well. Left the viewer wondering who the mysterious interview was. Problem for me is I don't know anything about a "Mr. E", and I felt left out of the joke. I hesitate to admit that because I probably should know what the joke is..

Derwin Dalida
October 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Chris - Mister E - Mystery ;)

Chris Barcellos
October 4th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Duhhh !!!!!!!!! I am a bit dense these days...................Probably my meds...

Andrew Bove
October 4th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I was wondering who you were going to interview right from the start... haha! Nice!
I liked how you to switched to color as soon as the camera was powered on, that was a nice touch.

Adam Snow
October 4th, 2013, 11:11 PM
First off, I think the DVC gives us a fun opportunity to go out and try something that we would ordinary likely not do. So I applaud you giving it a try and simply creating something even if it initially misunderstood the DVC process.

As I'm guessing most people here would say, your piece has a bit of a nostalgic feel that we can all relate to. The only thing that really does matter about an interview is the interviewee and the mystery of who that will be - who will help us tell the story that we're trying to the best is always a lingering question. I do think that to people outside this niche audience you'd probably lose a bunch of the intrigue within the piece but of course your audience is other filmmakers... and you knew that, so I suppose it hits the mark. Now if only the interviewee, whomever they are, will hit theirs. ;-)

Tim Lewis
October 4th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks Adam. I am pretty sure I got Rule 11 right at least.

Adam Snow
October 5th, 2013, 12:10 AM
You just completely missed rule 37, sub paragraph B section 2.
And it's a ridiculous rule anyway. "All film entries must have at least one shark reference". I about missed it myself.

Randy Smith
October 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Found myself trying to figure out what the camera make and model was. Then found myself wondering how you chose which camera to shoot with and which one would be the on-screen talent.

It took me longer than it should have to figure out Mr. E = Mystery. :)

Toni Dolce
October 7th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Hi Tim!

I enjoyed this piece! The edits were pretty tight and although the concept was simple in nature, it was well executed.

Toni

Lorinda Norton
October 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Tim, you are selling this cool little piece way too short! I loved it!

For me it even had a twist at the end, given that in my tenure in video/filmmaking the big mystery was always whether or not all, or any, of the equipment was going to work.

Well cut, fast-paced...just the way I like 'em. Thank you!

Tim Lewis
October 9th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I didn't do a BTS featurette, mainly because it would have run longer than the feature! But for those that were wondering...

I am afraid that when it comes to a pressure situation I tend to revert to what I know best. So I shot this on my Canon HF200. I used my JVC GY HD110 as the "talent" and some of my other gear was pressed in to service in roles for which it was not necessarily originally designed.

I ended up editing the film in iMovie '11 as for this job my time was short due to University study commitments. I learned quite a lot about iMovie along the way. It was the first time I have used beat markers and cut to the beat. I added in foley where live recording was insufficient and learned a lot more about making the music track fade nicely in iMovie.

I was pretty comfortable with the titling and just wanted a plain "cinematic" look to the text.

I was happy with the final product as it is my first time with anything like this, but I can see I will have to improve a lot for the next one.

(..and nobody spotted the continuity error! Phew! That ought to get the number of views up, lol.)