View Full Version : Cheapest way to just backup 5d3

Ger Griffin
October 13th, 2013, 07:08 AM
As the title says. Just want to come out of the hdmi and backup my data. Doesnt need to be any better than the internal h.264. just backup.
Price is relevant.
Thanks,
Ger

Jerry Porter
October 13th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I think the Ninja 2 with the 7200 rpm HDs is going to be the best bang for your buck. Mostly because the storage media is so cheap compared to all the others. I'm pretty sure that a purchase of one is in my near future for those reasons along with focus aids and zebras.

Jerry Porter
October 13th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Oh and another thing I just learned is when you use the 5X and 10X zoom on the camera you can record that signal cleanly as a VERY nice crop shot. This makes my 104 f4 kit lens an effective 1040 at f4

Ger Griffin
October 13th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Yea its nuts I was looking at that myself.
Had a bad experience with Magic lantern over the weekend and it thought me to forget about ML and all that and
while im at it get backup.

I wonder how easy it is to focus with the atmos monitor w/ peaking?
I was half thinking of going with the blackmagic hyperdeck shuttle and getting a lilliput monitor but this atmos seems to be so handy when it comes to my needs, including battery power.

Jerry Porter
October 13th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I have high hopes for ML, but for now I'm not using it for any kind of real work. I'm sure they will get it all sorted out, but until then I'm really leaning Ninja. I watched a tutorial about 40 min long from a German guy yesterday and what he showed was pretty firggin cool. And it looked like the peaking was pretty good.

Jerry Porter
October 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I wish I could demo one before laying out the cash though to see how good it really is in person.

Ger Griffin
October 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Yea same here. I saw that video yesterday as well.
The only thing Im a bit annoyed about is, and correct me if im wrong, but even the lowest recording quality is still quite high (10bit 4:2:2) so say an average wedding I shoot comes to about 130 gb of h264 on cards(2 cameras) . So this will probably translate to a huge amount of atomos footage (whatever that is , pro res or the avid one).
I just dont need that amount of data in the files.

Jerry Porter
October 13th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Yea but the recording media is so cheap. It's like 50 dollars for a 500 gig HD from B&H. At that price I would just label it and put it on the shelf like I used to do with tapes.

Jerry Porter
October 13th, 2013, 10:59 AM
For that matter with the USB 3.0 connection you could edit the project right there as well. Hmmmm I seem to be talking myself into this more as we chat here. OK time to shoot me down. Why shouldn't I do this???

Ger Griffin
October 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM
true, good point.

I cant believe though that the 5d3 cant give 720 50p out of the hdmi. Its the reason I bought the camera. Now Im bein forced back to 25p just to be able to backup my footage

Ger Griffin
October 13th, 2013, 11:03 AM
right now I could do just about anything.
Im tempted to sell everything and go 2x panasonic GH3 for the 1080p50 and compatibility with ninja.

Ger Griffin
October 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Why shouldn't I do this???

Cant think of one reason why not to get a backup device after the weekend Ive put down

Jerry Porter
October 13th, 2013, 11:11 AM
It can't??? Hmmm well that's something to think about.....

Ger Griffin
October 13th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Im not sure any of the others can either. d800 , gh3 etc.

Ger Griffin
October 16th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I just got the ninja today. A beautiful device. I can recommend. Focus is easy with it.
Also Im able to record 720p 50 to the internal memory card and 1080 25p to the ninja simultaneously it seems.

Jerry Porter
October 16th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ger for the update. How is the display? I think you might have just caused my credit card some pain... LOL

Ger Griffin
October 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Its good. Not as good as the 5d3 but bigger and with peaking its great.
Not to mention I have it on an L-bracket and can swivel it so it helps my lower back not to have to look at the 5d3 one. I can now hold it comfortably at chest height using this monitor.
The color is similar to 5d3. Seems a bit brighter alright but the peaking set to 100 seems to correspond with the overexposed parts of the file itself so in that I will trust.
BTW there is a setting called Avid DNxHD 36 which is 36mbps. Its for offline in the TV environment but its perfect as backup for what I do.
Ill keep shooting in 720p50 onto the card and let the ninja get 1080p 25 ( there does seem to be a fields issue when I have the camera at 720p50 with what the ninja records but when i conform to upper or lower field first it looks fine. Again my use for the ninja is strictly backup and what it would gather as i shoot 720p50 in camera is fine should i ever need it.
If/when im shooting an important 1080p project Ill use the apple prores codec in the ninja and get all the benefits of having it.

Evan Bourcier
October 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I've never tried with video, but can't you write to an SD and CF card at the same time on the 5diii? I know it's a photo option, unsure if it overloads the buffer for video.

Ger Griffin
October 18th, 2013, 09:40 AM
yea it doesnt work with video unfortunately

Ger Griffin
October 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I used it today professionally for the first time and yea, im impressed with the operational end. Battery runtime etc was excellent. The screen itself is a bit too low res for my liking. Its good to have to check zebras and its good for framing but I found myself looking at the back of my 5dmk3 more than I would like. That screen on the 5dmk3 is lightyears ahead of the ninja.