View Full Version : Rokinon 35mm

James Clarke
November 4th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I Finally got the Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens for Sony E mount ,here are a few pics of the rig im building

Nate Haustein
November 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Cool! Great lens, I really like using it.

James Clarke
November 4th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Its fantastic , i will never go back to regular glass , primes all the way , i will be buying the 85mm next

James Hollingsworth
November 25th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Nice rig. Could you let me know what you have attached as an audio recorder and how you attach it to the camera and tripod? Many thanks.

James Clarke
November 25th, 2013, 11:41 AM
No audio recorder as yet i still record in camera ,but im looking at the Tascam - DR-60D 4-Channel Linear PCM Recorder from B&H

James Manford
November 25th, 2013, 01:47 PM
What sort of production will this be used on?

James Clarke
November 26th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I shoot mostly commercials and promos a local station , documentaries and features are what i live for

Peter Rush
November 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Nice rig - James what magic arm do you use - I'm using a fairly cheap one and my monitor keeps working it's way loose.

Pete

James Clarke
November 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I bought it off ebay here is the link

11" Magic Arm for Lilliput 7" Monitor DSLR Camera Light | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Magic-arm-for-lilliput-7-Monitor-DSLR-Camera-Light-/220792713506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3368457122)

Craig Marshall
November 29th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I'm using a similar setup with similar equipment but with Zeiss primes coupled via the Metabones Speedbooster to improve the contrast and add that magical extra stop. The Tascam DR-40 4 track PCM recorder provides phantom power to the Rode NTG-3 and records 'ambient' via it's on-board stereo pair. I also run an audio feed from the DR-40, direct to the Vg20's aux input for a 'camera' copy of the mixed 4 track recording.

James Clarke
December 6th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hi I just upgraded my matte box with the Fotga DP3000 to match the rest of the rig here are a few more pics

Craig Marshall
December 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I like the 'swing out' design of their new matte box as it will speed up your lens changes. James, is the Rokinon 35mm a 'full frame' lens or APS-C/'Super35'?

PS: There's a company in China currently advertising on ebay who offer the 'cine mod' to new and second hand lenses from Canon and Zeiss. I've asked them for a quote to modify my collection of Zeiss FF lenses as re-fitting the rubber focus gear rings is a nuisance.

Rob Katz
December 9th, 2013, 04:24 PM
the rokinon 35mm provides full frame coverage.

i am also looking int a rokinon duo-35mm/1.8 & 85mm/1.8.

keeping focus on an interview set seems reasonable.

i wonder how i would do in the field with the rokinons mated to my fs100.

any other users care to share their experiences with the rokinons?

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc

Matt Sharp
December 11th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Rob I use a 24mm Samyang with a focal reducer for an effective 26mm on a VG30. It's all run and gun in low light and I end up with about 70% in focus shots. It's still better overall than my NX70 that is easy to keep in focus but lacking in light in the same conditions.

For daytime shots I use a Rokinon 16mm with a glassless adapter as the focal reducer degrades the quality a small amount.

Andrew Maclaurin
December 14th, 2013, 05:27 PM
matt,
which focal reducer do you use?

Matt Sharp
December 14th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Andrew it's a Chinese adapter (sold by jinfinance on ebay) without electronics. It's a very tight fit on the VG30 but fits my NEX5R and 6 perfectly.

I use all Alpha lenses so I'm holding out hope that metabones will release with a smart A to E speedbooster but I'm not holding my breath.

Andrew Maclaurin
December 15th, 2013, 05:07 AM
cheers matt.
tight fit? does it work without damaging the vg30?
how do find the vg30? are you happy with it?

Matt Sharp
December 16th, 2013, 03:46 PM
The VG30 has a metal mount vs the plastic mount behind a metal ring on the still cameras. It hasn't damaged my camera yet, it just requires some muscle to attach and remove. I wouldn't recommend that particular adapter if you need to switch lenses in a hurry. Of course it could just be that I got a bad copy, all my glassless adapters attach perfectly.

I'm happy with the VG30 in general. I love the picture. I don't like the lack of real manual audio control and only a 1/8" mic in though. I end up running wireless mics to my NX70. The stock 18200PZ lens also loses focus sometimes, for manual control it's much more accurate to use touch focus instead of the servo zoom ring also. For those reasons I always have secondary coverage if a second take won't be possible.

Erik Wittbusch
December 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I use all Alpha lenses so I'm holding out hope that metabones will release with a smart A to E speedbooster but I'm not holding my breath.

There you go:

Metabones® (http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPA-E-BM1)