View Full Version : D600 Audio - Ninja 2???

Ronald Murphy
November 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Great information on this forum, glad to be joining. This is my first post.
I'm an enthusiast-level stills photographer shooting nature, mostly butterflies and birds with macro and telephoto lenses. I'd like to add video to shoot more nature but also to add environmental interviews of naturalists, conservationists, etc. and make related documentaries for web distribution.
I think I can get started with my Nikon D600 but early trials have raised a number of questions and issues. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on any or all of the following:
Focus using Live View seems unworkable, at least outdoors. Is a Loupe like a Zacuto needed or would an external monitor with focus aids (zebra, etc) work better? (My firmware is current for 100% hdmi out.) Or both? I'm considering a Ninja 2 anyway - is using that monitor with its focus aids a reasonable solution to focus problems?
Audio captured with internal mic is very noisy. I've also tried a cheap radio shack lav just to see if it made a difference and I got similar levels of noise. I turned off the AGC but still couldn't find a manual level that was usable with or without the external mic. I realize a dual system is often recommended so I'll likely get a separate recorder if that's the best solution, along with with a better mic. This would be for the interviews.
Would the Ninja 2 recorder make a difference in how audio could be recorded, perhaps eliminating a dual system requirement?
And finally, should I just look to find a dedicated video solution for the interviews and documentary work? If so, any recommendations, under 3K? Used included, especially if it would work with the Ninja 2.
Thanks for any assistance you have time to provide.

Stephen Brenner
November 9th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Focus using Live View seems unworkable, at least outdoors. Is a Loupe like a Zacuto needed or would an external monitor with focus aids (zebra, etc) work better? (My firmware is current for 100% hdmi out.) Or both? I'm considering a Ninja 2 anyway - is using that monitor with its focus aids a reasonable solution to focus problems?

I find that a loupe is sufficient.

Audio captured with internal mic is very noisy. I've also tried a cheap radio shack lav just to see if it made a difference and I got similar levels of noise. I turned off the AGC but still couldn't find a manual level that was usable with or without the external mic. I realize a dual system is often recommended so I'll likely get a separate recorder if that's the best solution, along with with a better mic. This would be for the interviews.

For the cleanest sound I use a quality preamp like the sound devices mixpre.

And finally, should I just look to find a dedicated video solution for the interviews and documentary work? If so, any recommendations, under 3K? Used included, especially if it would work with the Ninja 2.
Thanks for any assistance you have time to provide.

If your shooting style is more controlled than run&gun, you might consider the blackmagic pocket cinema camera. Body is $1k, so that gives you a lot of room to rig it out. No need for ninja since it shoots Prores 4:2:2 10bit to sd cards. Lossless compressed raw coming in future firmware.

Jeff Zimmerman
December 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
For audio on my D800 and D7100, a simple external microphone such as the Nikon ME-1 or Audio Technica Pro-24CM work great for run and gun, auto level. For more formal interviews, I plug a Sony UWP-V1 directly into the microphone jack, manual level. Audio is clear and free of hum or noise. The Nikon Preamp seems fine and I actually have only been using the camera to record audio.

Also recently I bought Beachtek MCC-2 and had some success with two wireless microphones running on auto level at the same time. Of course I would suggest caution and testing before going into the field. Most of the time when interviewing its in a controlled environment.

With the microphone input jack I have had some problems with cheaper 1/8 stereo cables not giving a good connection. A good quality microphone and cable go along way. Sony's included cables work great, Beachtek cables also worked.

Ninja 2 is very interesting and will follow your results. I've been looking at that device for some green screen work and event recording.

Beachtek MCC-2 Beachtek MCC-2 2-Channel Audio Adapter and Bracket MCC-2 B&H

Sony UWP-V1 Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Package UWP-V1/3032 B&H

Audio Technica Pro-24CM Audio-Technica Pro-24CM - Stereo Microphone PRO 24CM B&H Photo

Below is a picture of my Nikon setup during an interview.