View Full Version : ND Filters for the AC90

Katie Fasel
January 21st, 2014, 12:03 PM
Really liking the price point, low-light capability, and many other things about the AC90, and looking to add it to our gear. But one thing I hate is no built in switchable ND filters! We do weddings, so the thought of adding a filter every time we are inside, outside, back and forth is horrifying.

What do you use, and does anyone have experience with the Xume magnetic system? Open to other suggestions as well!!

Noa Put
January 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM
The ac90 has integrated automatic ND filters I believe.

Edit: here it's confirmed: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?297200-AG-AC90-Review-in-the-Dominican-Republic

Jeff Pulera
January 21st, 2014, 01:22 PM
I've been following every thread and review of this camera for months, considering purchase, and the general consensus is that adding an ND filter is very helpful for bright outdoors, otherwise at small aperture the picture quality suffers a lot. The built-in deal is not enough.

Just Googled "AC-90 ND filter" and found a wealth of info

Thanks

Tim Akin
January 22nd, 2014, 07:03 AM
Katie, I hardly ever have to use the screw on filters. Only if your in direct, bright sunlight, which for us is almost never. Maybe the only time is when I get moving shots of B&G going from the photo shoot spot (which was in the shade) back to the church and then I don't bother putting the filter on. You still get usable footage, just don't have the iris in that sweet spot that the AC90 likes.

Lou Bruno
January 23rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
A ND filter is a necessity for outside scenes. But be careful because if the ND filter is too dark, reds and maroon colors turn dark grey or even black. I forgot the physics involved, but I believe it has to do with filtering infra-red outdoor lighting.

Mike Beckett
January 23rd, 2014, 08:09 AM
Also, go for a good brand - B+W, MRC filters are pretty good. Cheaper NDs are going to give you color casts and other prob lems.