View Full Version : Major Downgrade

Tariq Peter
January 29th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Hi Guys,

I have moved to 5DMK3s from my Canon XHA1 and now looking to sell the XHA1. The only issue I have is that I have about 20 mini dvd tapes recorded at 1080i 25fps on my XHA1 and do not have the time or space to capture and encode them. Can anybody recommend a really basic camera I can use to play the tapes.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
January 30th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Can't speak for the UK market, but in the US, the Canon HV20/30/40 models can be readily found on Ebay for $200-300 every day and would be perfect for HDV and DV playback and capture.

Thanks

Maurice Covington
February 3rd, 2014, 09:36 AM
Don't sell the XHA1 and then go out and by the recommended Canon HV cameras. These cameras are GREAT.

But, why sell you XHA1 which you've probably already determined has very little value and then go out and spend 25% of what you made on a camera that you may never use. If it were me and I could afford to keep the camera, there is no way that I sell this camera.

By the way, Have fun with the Mark III's

Nick Gordon
March 3rd, 2014, 10:48 AM
Can't speak for the UK market, but in the US, the Canon HV20/30/40 models can be readily found on Ebay for $200-300 every day and would be perfect for HDV and DV playback and capture.

Thanks

I use an HV10 for this purpose.

Don Palomaki
March 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
As noted above, and IMHO, at this point the only reason to unload the XHA1 in favor of a HV10/20/30/40 would be to save some space by getting a smaller camcorder. There is not enough money involved to make the swap worthwhile when it all nets out. And buying a used camcoprder without checkign it out first can be problematic.

20 MiniDV tapes is perhaps 20 hours of capture, and can be done untended. Start it and come back an hout later to change tapes. Worth doing while computers still may have a Firewire port on them.