View Full Version : Felt a little sick watching this ...

James Manford
February 12th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Photographer FAIL. Drops $2,300 Canon L Series Lens - YouTube

Enjoy! ... or not.

Noa Put
February 12th, 2014, 05:36 PM
just like a pro...glad I"m an amateur.

Noa Put
February 12th, 2014, 05:40 PM
part II: Photographer FAIL. Drops $2,300 Canon L Series Lens. Part 2 - YouTube

Matt Thomas
February 12th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Did it survive fine?

Rob Cantwell
February 12th, 2014, 06:59 PM
happened to me (for real) picked up one of my camera bags - one like this Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW Camera Bag LP36174-PWW B&H Photo Video
but the zip wasn't closed two lens fell out onto a har tiled floor, an EF 35mm f/1.4 L and a EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II, I still haven't gotten around to getting them fixed, if you shake them you can hear loose parts inside rattling around.
I have a EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS and thers no way that i'd try and attach it to the camera using one hand, it's got it's own neck strap that I use.
:)

Art Varga
February 12th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I went 5 years without a drop and then last year crashed two lenses within the span of a few weeks.

Todd Mizomi
February 12th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Just last year during a model photoshoot my Canon 85mm 1.2L lens fell out of a belt pouch, bounced off of the rock wall I was standing on and then took a dive into some mud and water. Having equipment insurance and CPS Gold membership really helps. :-)

Don Bloom
February 12th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I never dropped a lens but in or around 1976 I was shooting a football game with my trusty Nikon F's. On one I had the beautiful Nikon 180mm lens. A spectacular piece of glass.
As a play was developing I was following the action towards me (I had a motor drive and a bulk pack on that camera-could run off 250 shots pretty quick) and I lost the perspective. Well you can guess what happened. BAM! I took the hit of the running back as he was being tackled by the linebacker. This was a high school game so I could pretty much go where I wanted and I was right on the sideline. After I very slowly picked myself up shook my head clear (I probably had a concussion but back then no one paid attention to that stuff) and then looked at my camera. Let's just say I knew I would be spending some money to get things sorted out. I put that camera down grabbed my other one with a 135mm lens and finished up the game. I went home then went to bed and had nightmares or that linebacker smashing my camera. I took the lens and camera in to the camera fixit guy and 2 weeks later he had replaced the viewfinder on the camera and replaced the mount on the lens as that was the only thing wrong. they worked like new after that and from that time on when I did any sports at all I made sure I stayed a bit further from the sidelines and I kept my eye on the action as well as the viewfinder. Oh yeah, as I recall I think the repairs cost me about $5 or 6 hundred. Well worth it since the lens was about $1500 even then.
I had forgotten about this incident and this thread reminded me. Kinda wish I hadn't read this! :-O

Chris Hurd
February 12th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks to the OP for posting this, however it's definitely Area 51 material. Thread moved from Weddings / Event Techniques for that reason. By the way, the first clue that this is an obvious fake is the fact that it got uploaded to YouTube. By that I mean, anyone who actually drops a brand new L-series lens is not going to upload such a video. Think about it. I'm having a hard time believing that anybody thinks this is real. That sound of the glass hitting the ground is real, though... I've heard it before! But that video isn't on YouTube.

Peer Landa
February 13th, 2014, 09:21 PM
By the way, the first clue that this is an obvious fake is the fact that it got uploaded to YouTube.

Well, that might be so -- but this YouTube L-lens-drop looks real though:

Wedding Photographer Falls Into Water Fountain - YouTube

-- peer

Chris Hurd
February 13th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Looks real to me as well, but that's not a "selfie" like the one we're talking about.

James Manford
February 14th, 2014, 03:22 AM
Dropping gear is my biggest fear on a shoot. At home we have carpet everywhere so i'm sure it would survive. But in the field ... it's another ballgame.

Justin Molush
February 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I had my 7D with 18-35/1.8 get knocked off of my jib while it was rigged to a truck and rolling last week. Was full extended and it got clipped by a low bridge (I was facing backwards).

It bounced. Good times.