View Full Version : Sony DVW-D30 or XL2 with mini35 adapter?

Jeff Ray
October 3rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Hey guys,

I'm shooting a music video in a couple weeks and might have the option of using a Sony DVW-D30. Now I own an XL2 with mini35 adapter from Redrock Micro, so I'm wondering if anyone has professional experience with the Sony camera and what would look best for the video.

I've never worked with Betacam and haven't really perfected using my XL2 with the adapter yet as I've just received it 2 weeks ago.

So anyone have a professional opinion on what would look the best?

Jeff Ray
October 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
Does anybody have any info on this?

Steve Roark
October 4th, 2005, 01:53 AM
I posted my response without realizing you were talking about the XL2, not the XL1 (need more coffee).

We used XL1s next to my D130. The D130 was slightly cleaner, sharper and better in low light. The XL2 footage I've seen looks about as good as the D130 (which uses a DVCam back). The XL2 is less sensitive, though. So lighting conditions may be important in your decision.

I'd prefer to use Betacam tape, but its not cost-effective for us anymore. Its cleaner and richer, but editing in Betacam format is an investment in some serious hardware.

Personally, I think the D30 on Beta would be slightly better quality than footage shot on DV. But, the difference would be minimal and not worth the risk of switching to a 15 pound beast you are not familiar with. All cameras are capable of great footage, if the operator knows what he's doing. How creative is your music video going to be if you have to stop the band every few minutes to refer to the D30 manual to make an adjustment? Same goes for the Mini35, if you haven't mastered it before the day of your shoot, leave it at home. Nobody remembers how razor sharp a music video is, but they do remember having to wait on fumbling crew members.