View Full Version : Private Classifieds Rule Change Request

Chris Soucy
February 28th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Trying to clear some room by disposing of this, much loved but simply surplus to requirements. The Neuro and Orthopedic quacks having ganged up on me with an offer I simply couldn't refuse:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-classifieds/521910-pro-heavy-duty-jib-system-complete.html

Problem is, the only other place I can realistically post this in NZ is Trade Me, which allows about 50 words of description, about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle, as you can see from the original post.

I was going to link there to the listing on DVinfo, but then ran into the "must be a member of one months standing" to even see the forum problem, not a lot of bl**dy good to punters on Trade Me.

I can (sort of) understand the embargo on punters posting to that Forum, but have failed to work out why it is simply invisible to possible buyers, members or not.

Any chance of a simple (and speedy) change to the rules?

And no, e-bay is not an option, Trade Me has the market in NZ and that's that.

CS

Chris Hurd
February 28th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Hmm. I see your point. I think I can change the forum settings so that guests and new members can see the board (but will not have the ability to start new threads -- to do that, one would have to be an established member of more than 30 days registered here).

Chris Soucy
February 28th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks, Chris.

Would be greatly appreciated by all concerned, might even attract some new members once external links can point to the treasure trove that is DVinfo in general, the Classifieds in particular.

Regards,

CS

Chris Hurd
February 28th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Okay, if I've done this correctly, unregistered guests are now able to see posts and images in the Private Classifieds forum. And newly registered members are able to reply to existing threads in that forum (but they may not start their own, until they're automatically "promoted" after 30 days).

Chris Soucy
February 28th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Good try, but missed.

If I log out, the PC's are still invisible. The FA's are there, but don't know whether they always were.

Tried it on our other system, the same.

CS

Chris Hurd
March 1st, 2014, 12:28 AM
Okay, try that again please.

Chris Soucy
March 1st, 2014, 01:28 PM
Aaah, nope.

PC's still conspicuous by their absence.

Third time lucky?

CS

PS: Got some pretty snarly protection going there Chris. Thought I could "back door" it by slipping my PC's URL entry into Chrome, logging out of DVinfo and then trying to access it even though it was no longer visible.

Chomp. "You are not authorized............"

Chris Hurd
March 3rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
Hmm... third time... try it now.

Chris Soucy
March 3rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Yeeeess!

Mission accomplished.

Now, this may just be coincidence and I don't know if the "viewings" count includes "visitors", but I was astounded to see no less than "11 viewings" when I checked the forum.

I've never before seen more than one.

Interesting.

Thanks Chris.

CS

Chris Hurd
March 3rd, 2014, 02:59 PM
Yes -- "viewing" includes unregistered guests. Thanks for the feedback, CS!

Chris Soucy
March 3rd, 2014, 03:59 PM
It occurs to me that many of the past and current users of the PC's may not have picked up on our little exchange here at the top of the Forum Index and the rule change that has resulted from it.

Is it worth putting a notice at the top of the PC's page to highlight the change and point out that ads may now be linked to from, well, anywhere, really and read by anyone, any time and maybe, just maybe, a little bit of "game lifting" may be in order to enlighten a wider audience?

By which I mean, all the ads are no longer being perused by only the all knowing membership of DVinfo, but by the entire planet!

On the flip side of the coin, is it worth pointing out to prospective members that, once you join, despite the 30 days embargo on posting to the PC's Forum, you can immediately send a DVinfo mail to a member who has posted an ad, and negotiate via that medium?

I'm sure I haven't thought of everything, but it's a start.

CS

Chris Hurd
March 3rd, 2014, 08:47 PM
I think those are all good ideas, to be sure. I think for now this thread is as much publicity as the topic is going to get. I'd like to have some time pass by first, to see how things shake out first, before making a formal announcement in that forum.

Chris Soucy
March 4th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Fair enough.

Just took a swing by, no less than 21 viewing, now that has to be some sort of a record.

Certainly seems to have gone down well with some of the planet.

Interesting there hasn't been a peep from any other members, not one. Amazing.

CS

Tim Lewis
March 4th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Yes Chris, we may not have peeped, but we have been peeping at your posts.

Another suggestion may be a name change to Public Classifieds?