View Full Version : Can someone distribute a close-to protune LUT please?

Arne Pursell
March 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Well was hoping gopro would do it...voluntarily...but obviously not the case. For those of us with hundreds of gopro clips, doing this in resolve or speedgrade one-by-one is just silliness. All it needs is a half-way decent lut that approximates the protune lut. I've now trialled the gopro cineform pro software, but it's all in database form and no way to export to resolve or speedgrade or premiere or vegas. I did finally find the folder tho', under c:/users/public/cineform/luts, however gopro studio pro won't export lut's either...unlike the older version...now back to normal pc studio...

Gopro/Cineform wouldn't actually have this problem if they enabled batch export of color-corrected cineform files, but they don't. Tried the link between studio and premiere, and vegas, just got crashes (otherwise I could have saved a lut quickly doing the back and forth between premiere and speedgrade).

David Newman, iff you're there, this is surely annoying lots of people, so even if you have to put out an almost lut, would be appreciated. Can't see how doing this will upset Kodak/Fuji etc as I assume the protune LUT is developed in-house. Meanwhile cineform and gopro are just annoying lots of people...

David Newman
March 13th, 2014, 09:23 PM
The Protune Lut is a sine wave.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+sine+from+-0.5*Pi+to+0.5*Pi

Our you can use Technicolor Cinestyle preview LUT, this is not a secret

Your workflow is not what others are using, double exporting, batching a batch seems very odd to me. We will not be providing that feature. Most professionals will either use GoPro files native or the CineForm transcodes. Baked color is bad, yet that is what you are asking for. If you want to bake in the Protune LUT, you could use Adobe Prelude to batch your batches or maybe RedGaint Bullet Proof. If you want baked in color, we have that in the HERO3+BE camera now, Protune 2.0 with GoPro Color rather than flat (or any GoPro with Protune turned off.)

P.S. If you have crashes with databased CineForm clips in Premiere, report that to cineform@support.com, as that is a workflow used all the time (that is my workflow, no crashes.)