View Full Version : vimeo vs youtube

Noa Put
March 31st, 2014, 05:39 PM
I don't use youtube as I don't like the ads, the related video's that appear when your video stops playing and as I understood they also gain a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual license to freely sub-license, re-distribute, re-publish, monetize, and whatever they may want to do with your video.

But youtube does seem to be on the forefront of new technology providing already 4k display for those 5 people worldwide that have a 4k pc screen :)

I did read a comment on this site (couldn't find it back) about a user saying that when you would uprez your 1080p footage to 4k and feed that to youtube you would get a sharper video so I decided to try it out, I used a very short clip from my last video done with my sony rx10 and uprezzed it to a 4k 25mbs file and uploaded that to youtube and vimeo, first you"ll see what youtube did with the file, below that what vimeo did, I don't directly see much difference between 1080p and 4k on youtube but the difference between youtube and vimeo is obvious. Conclusion: my videos look a lot better on youtube, they are free and they assure you get better exposure, maybe it's time to look past the ads? :)

4k - YouTube
vimeo password: test
Private Video on Vimeo

Al Gardner
April 1st, 2014, 12:58 AM
Not sure if it looks better or just different?

One thing I don't like about YOUTUBE other than the things you mentioned which are huge, is that I can't default my videos to the highest resolution as you can on vimeo. Such as telling vimeo to play your video's in HD only when embedded.

Am I missing something about this when it comes to youtube? It seems most people don't even realize they have to select HD resoulution each time on you tube?

Chris Harding
April 1st, 2014, 04:31 AM
Hey Noa

I simply use YouTube because of client's complaints about the very slow buffering when viewing Vimeo clips in Australia ... For me, I need a video to start and play without any stoppages and sadly Vimeo here just doesn't cut it for me.

You new found method with YouTube does make me feel even better now!! Thanks .. time to upres to 4K so brides get stunning video as most of mine seem to stick with online views ..I honestly cannot remember when I last had a request for a "demo DVD"

As an example the YT one here started after maybe 2 seconds and played to the end. The vimeo one started at 00:00 and after 30 seconds was STILL loading!! Clients would more than likely give up and move on assuming your clip doesn't work!

Chris

Noa Put
April 1st, 2014, 08:09 AM
I just realized above "test" was not realy a fair one as youtube allows up to 4k view while my vimeo plus account only does 720p so it's normal that youtube is sharper, that's why I did another test with my japanese garden video rendered out as a 10mbs 720p file and feed that to both youtube and vimeo, the quality does look about the same now. Only if I would send a 1080p file out to both youtube would be in teh advantage. See also both videos below.

About the buffer times on vimeo, yes, that is a problem and I"m not satisfied anymore either , it's now 4 in the afternoon here and loading the below 4 minute video took vimeo 03:35 while youtube needed 15 seconds so it's not a issue with my internetconnection. At certain times in the evening the buffer can go slower then the video plays so it stalls, I do have to say I sometimes get this issue with youtube videos as well, especially in the evening when lot's of people are online.

What bothers me most on youtube is those related videos that appear at the end, is there a way to turn that off? If I would post a wedding that could mean videos from my competitors could appear which is the last thing I need to happen.

I already found that there is a way to turn off the appearing adds but didn't find a option to remove the related videos.

Japanese garden on the Sony RX10 on Vimeo

Japanse tuin Hasselt - YouTube

Kyle Root
April 1st, 2014, 08:34 AM
There is some custom stuff you can do with YT in the edit screen.

You can turn off those "recommended" clips that pop up at the end.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to have it do 720p minimum which would be nice. But I think it doesn't because it's tied to mobile, and doesn't auto do it for bandwidth reasons (i read that somewhere)

I just started using the new Adobe Muse CC to redo my website, and the YT widget lets you really customize the look of the stock player, and combined with the "video edit" features within YT, allows you to make embeded videos not look so "YouTuby" lol

Robert Benda
April 1st, 2014, 09:10 AM
Doesn't YouTube end up in Google searches more?

I like the way Vimeo looks, in general, but YouTube does seem more convenient and useful.

Kyle Root
April 1st, 2014, 10:17 AM
Yes YT does seem to show up in searches more.

I think it also helps with your website SEO as well.

Noa Put
April 1st, 2014, 10:46 AM
Since google owns youtube anything you post there should score better in a google query, I have noticed vimeo videos don't that well. I"m just a bit wary about the fact google can do whaetever they please with your video once you upload it, even if I stay the owner of the video. I don't mind with my personal videos but I would with my weddingsvideos.

Are there more here that use youtube exclusively to showcase their weddingwork?

Robert Benda
April 1st, 2014, 11:39 AM
That's an excellent point, Noa, about ownership. Maybe I'll stick with Vimeo as a way to deliver/share the wedding highlight video to clients to share with their family/friends, and use YouTube to post demos for our website, which we would want to show up on Google searches.

Not sure how Facebook enters into it, if at all.

Ralph Gereg
April 1st, 2014, 11:57 AM
Not sure why, but I have fairly consistently had playback issues with YT, video freezes after 30 seconds on multiple devices, my tv, my smartphones (with two different carriers) different computers, different ISP's... I always seem to have problems with YT playing a video completely.... as if their bandwidth or servers cant keep up with the demand or something. I would have a video freeze with a 25mbps fiber running right to my house... something wrong there, I think. Very few problems with Vimeo or Netflix on those very same connections/devices, by the way.