View Full Version : Anyone tried one of these...

Gerald Webb
May 2nd, 2014, 12:24 AM
Just wondering if anyone has one of these for their Mrc1?
DigiGear Extreme SD-HC-XC to CF Adapter SDXCF B&H Photo Video

Leslie Wand
May 2nd, 2014, 12:44 AM
interesting, but have to ask why?

i've been using cheap adata 32gb cards without problems for years

Gerald Webb
May 2nd, 2014, 01:09 AM
Hi Leslie,
Actually, because I bought some of those very adata cards you recommended, I got 2. They have been great.
I went to order 2 more and they cannot supply them anymore.
They had a slower speed replacement, SP 400x, so I got 2 of those. They have not been so good. I cant replicate the problem all the time, but a few times now they have stalled at key times, and once lost some data.
I hate things I cant rely on, so in the drawer they go....

Have mountains of SD cards around so thought the converter may be a winner.

Leslie Wand
May 2nd, 2014, 02:18 AM
oh dear....

isn't that typical - you find something that works, at a reasonable price, and then the next thing you know, poof, disappears off the market. i thought this was basically the trend in supermarkets (try buy keens hot english mustard - gone, replaced by some tasteless home brand or, in australia, masterfood substitute), but it does seem to be universal nowadays...

i think i'll let you try and await to read your results - sd cards are cheap that's for sure....

Sam Renkin
May 2nd, 2014, 07:38 PM
This looks like a great idea, our DSLR uses SD cards and I would prefer to have a common stockpile. Please let me know if you try one, and if it fits inside the MRC1?

Gerald Webb
May 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Got a reply from B and H.
No go it seems. I still dont know why though.
Question and answer below-

Hi, Would this work with a Sony HVR MRC1 on a Z5?
If not, is it because of fit in the slot, or, other file type compatibility issues?
Asked on 5/2/2014 by Camonster from Central Coast Australia
1 answer
A: This adapter is only compatible with the following UDMA cameras: Canon EOS 7D, EOS 1D Mark IV and EOS 1Ds Mark III (both of which have Eye-Fi capability already, so the adapter is not necessary), EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 20D, EOS 50D, Nikon D3X, Sony Alpha DSLR-A900, A850 and A350.

Leslie Wand
May 7th, 2014, 01:33 AM
looks like they don't know what they're talking about....

Adam Gold
May 7th, 2014, 09:51 AM
How so? Looks to me like the answer is pretty clear and definitive (and is what the product page also says).

BTW, 400x is more than fast enough for anything the Z5 can record if you use a good brand. My Sandisks have been flawless.

Leslie Wand
May 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM
what's it got to do with wi-fi?

Steve Elgar
May 7th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I'll stay with TAPE.... It works !

Adam Gold
May 7th, 2014, 11:33 PM
what's it got to do with wi-fi?

Um, nothing. No one has mentioned WiFi.

Leslie Wand
May 8th, 2014, 01:54 AM
to be pedantic, and quote from b&h's reply above:

A: This adapter is only compatible with the following UDMA cameras: Canon EOS 7D, EOS 1D Mark IV and EOS 1Ds Mark III (both of which have Eye-Fi capability already, so the adapter is not necessary), EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 20D, EOS 50D, Nikon D3X, Sony Alpha DSLR-A900, A850 and A350.

Gerald Webb
May 8th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Adam, if you are familiar with the item could you explain why it wont work in the MRC1?
As I said in original question-
Is it because of physical fit?
or
It will not stream the media through the adaptor to the SD card?

Sorry if Im being silly, but if an SD card goes in the adaptor, and the adaptor fits in the MRC1.... why wont it work?

Adam Gold
May 8th, 2014, 09:52 AM
No, I'm not familiar with the item, merely pointing out that with a plethora of proper CF cards available, it seems unnecessary, and that no one menitoned WiFi, only "Eye-Fi," which appears to be something completely different. Well, not completely different, but unrelated to the functioning of the MRC and not relevant to this discussion.

I can't tell you why they say it won't work in the MRC, but I assume what they mean is it might but they won't guarantee it, and that the items they listed are the only ones tested and verified by the mfr. I think if you want to roll the dice it's up to you. They mention UDMA, which I assume is an alien concept for the now-aging MRC; the term does not appear in the manual.

I would personally just buy some more Sandisks. I have 16 of them.

Adam Gold
May 8th, 2014, 09:53 AM
to be pedantic, and quote from b&h's reply above:

I'm going to assume, as above, that "Eye-Fi" isn't the same as WiFi, which doesn't even exist as a concept for the MRC. They were probably just quoting from the specs as listed by the mfr.